Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
141 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2017, 07:50:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 12:43:42 am]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]

by SR
[July 03, 2017, 12:00:45 am]

by SR
[July 02, 2017, 10:44:58 pm]

[July 02, 2017, 08:27:21 am]

[June 23, 2017, 10:17:34 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 11:14:32 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 01:16:29 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dive-In Theater Opening Soon!  (Read 6952 times)
Flybynight Theater
Offline Posts: 9

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2008, 01:05:50 am »

Coming Soon...The all new "Dive-In Theater"

Our all new Dive In Theater will be starting this spring and my wife and I are looking forward to entertaining all of our friends in our backyard. What more can you ask for? A barbeque Island (Custom built by yours truly), firepit, pool, spa and now our very own outdoor theater. I want to thank everyone on this site for inspiring me and supplying me with some great ideas. I did a test run last season but since then purchased the Gemmy Inflatable screen (the original). I am hoping in can withstand our High Desert winds here in Palmdale, CA. I have an idea to support it with PVC pipe as a backup just in case. I am hoping to keep things simple for easy setup and teardown but after reading some of your stories I see that the addiction to continuously upgrade is strong. Can't wait to tell you how the first gathering goes.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:07:45 am by Flybynight Theater » Logged
KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:20:56 am »

Hey Flyby,

Welcome to the madness!  I give you a few weeks before the upgrade bug hits you.  I started off with my faithful Optoma DV 10 and a bedsheet on a fence.  I then went to a tripod screen, then a Sima XL -12 inflatable, a original Gemmy(because it was so inexpensive) for home use, and I just recently bought the Gemmy deluxe, but I haven't used it yet! Two sets of computer speakers, wireless speakers, a P.A. system, and an fm transmitter I use when I really want to have a drive -in setup...a small laser light show , old intermission dvds and Triva DVD for pre-show, Custom made home theater intro dvd, music cd' to countdown until showtime, three different marquees....I had to buy a popcorn machine to compliment my gear! I had to start my own business to pay for all of this!!  But man,  I'm having fun!  And I didn't even have a yard when I started all this!!! Now I'm a serious addict, and you probably won't go as far as I have.  Oh, if your wife thinks you're going overboard, just show her this post.  It may get you off the hook! I'm not getting any more upgrades until my business pays for most of the expenses.  However, I really am interested in on of those chinese screens......Enjoy!  Cheesy

KMac
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:04:44 am »

Let me add my welcome, too.

You may not necessaraily feel the need to upgrade right away so much as the need to tweak. Some things you'll be thinking about during your first show:

1) How can I get this set up faster/easier?
2) I SHOULD have grabbed that flashlight.
3) I need more light to take everything down.
4) I have to find a way to keep people from tripping over the speaker wires.
5) I have to find a way to keep kids from wanting to touch the equipment.
6) How can I take everything down faster?
7) I REALLY need a beer.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Tom
Hawkes
Offline Posts: 463

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:42 am »

Welcome to the madness flyby!

-Hawkes

STLmovieguy
Offline Posts: 230

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 11:32:46 am »

I'm almost in the same boat you are. I caught the fever over the winter and started collecting all the elemnets for an Outdoor theater, PJ, old laptop, wired outdoor speakers for the front, wireless in the back. Upgraded Gemmy Inflatable. I wanted it portable and easy setup and take down, so I'm building a box for all the equipment prewired on a rolling lawn cart. Roll up remove the lid, there is the PJ ( with the borrowed idea form this site ) on a old computer monitor base, lap top, and FM transmitter. Inside the box, surround receiver( prewired to a plug in plate on the outside of the box) and storage for speakers and cords. Again a stolen idea of using a garden hose to run the cabling to the front speakers. Out power, an outlet on the outsie of the box to plug in the subwoofer, and the screen.  Input power, cord out the back of the box to an outlet.
This is all in my head, Haven't had a first run yet, but soon as it gets warm enough. LOOK OUT!
plymouth
Offline Posts: 355

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:10:13 pm »

Hey Flyby,

Welcome to the madness!  I give you a few weeks before the upgrade bug hits you. 

KMac

KMac is spot on! Cheesy  Just a thought: are you going to use the album cover of Rush's Fly By Night as your logo?

Welcome indeed...
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52:33 pm »

Welcome aboard Flybynight Theater! 

I looked at some pics of your glass DIY Barbecue Island when approving your account.  Nice work!!  I think others here would be interested if you want to post a couple pics here.  Also, judging from your avatar, your yard looks like the exact plans my brother-in-law (in Lancaster) described for their yard. 

And yes, you've got some wind to deal with out there.

Keep us posted on your progress and have a blast!  We're glad you're here.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Flybynight Theater
Offline Posts: 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:35:25 pm »

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. at rfisk's request I am posting a few pics of the BBQ island that I built. The glass block was a challange but looks great at night with the backlighting. These were obviously before the pool. I will post newr pics when I get a chance.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: