Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
59 Guests, 1 User
Ronbo66
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 04:20:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 01:00:48 pm]

[Today at 01:02:18 am]

[Yesterday at 11:49:34 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:32:38 pm]

[Yesterday at 12:05:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 02:38:57 am]

[November 23, 2014, 07:31:54 pm]

[November 22, 2014, 09:32:18 pm]

[November 20, 2014, 12:02:36 pm]

[November 17, 2014, 11:17:57 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member saying Hi, and will be having some questions.  (Read 40586 times)
cemeb4dk
Offline Posts: 419

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:54:58 am »

FIrst off this site is awesome, there is such a wealth of knowledge on this site I am so glad I stumbled upon it.  I had no idea there was such a huge community of backyard enthusiasts.  I have learned a ton already searching this entire site.  But I hope you don't mind as I gather more info for my own theater I will have some questions for some advice.

First off my name is George and me and my family live in the western burbs of Chicago, and during the summer months  we are always outside on the patio having bonfires kids playing on the swingsets and stuff so this theater will be a great extension of our outdoor activities.  This will just be for personal use no, business or anything like that.

I plan on making my screen out of used billboard tarps, thanks to the link I found here.  I plan on building a frame out of PVC or black conduit.  Once I figure exact size and what not will determine best materials.  I do plan on taking screen down, but want to have permanent holes in the ground for the upright pipes to fit into.  The screen will basically be going against the size of my house.  I am not sure on the size as I need to get out there and see how much actual space I have I am either thinking 16x9 or 10x20.  Now I have a huge shed that sits in the back of my lot that is on a slab and all wired with electric and stuff.  I currently have a stereo set up out there and some polk outdoor speakers mounted around it.  So plan plan is to use the shed as a movie house.  I want to have all my equipment inside then the projector on a shelf outside on the shed.  Probably above the doors to get into shed.  I will then probably run another set of speakers to the front by the screen for more sound.

So some of the questions I will have will be what size screen should I make and definitley what type of projector.  I am a total noob when it comes to projectors.  But form reading this site I am sure I want something of 2000 lumens.  I have been looking at the epson 705hd.  But not sold on anything and that is where you guys come in for the help.  I know until you actually have the dimensions its hard to suggest.  So once I can get out there and do some measurements I will post those.

Most of the pics I have seen from peoples set ups is they have the screen on a rack of some sort on the ground.  Will I have an issue setting mine up on a shelf above a door?

Thanks again and looking forward to learning alot and hopefully contributing to this site.

George
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 685

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

First off, welcome aboard George.

As far as positioning your gear on a shelf - knock yourself out.  The only drawback is the throw distance of the projector (or more correctly the lens).  As most common PJ's have a fixed or non-interchangable lens you're stuck with what ever the PJ comes with.  If you visit the tools tab at the top of the web page you'll find a projector calculator which will give you the distance from the screen necessary to achieve the size screen you end up with.

Good luck and enjoy

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1041

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:01:02 pm »

The 705hd is a great choice: hdmi, 720 capable, more than enough lumens for byt or indoor ht work.

Get your cables from monoprice for hdmi. I'd consider either a bluray player or ps3 to get the most out of your pj. If you are using your shed as a movie house, get your pj first and see just how big you can go.

Enjoy the madness.

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:20:31 pm »

Welcome!!

Picking up on Joe's comments, how far is the proposed shelf from the proposed movie screen?  Using that distance along with the projector calculator, you can get an idea of whether or not this is doable with a consumer-grade projector.  Too far, and the image might be too large.

Also, keep in mind that most PJs project the image at somewhat of an upward angle.  With this in mind, you might need to have the shelf tipped down in front to compensate for this.  You may even want to design the shelf so that the pitch is adjustable.  Just thinking out loud with you.

Good luck.
cemeb4dk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:49:02 pm »

Thanks guys and all great responses and ideas.  I never thought of since its a fixed position of the projector that will determine the screen size.  I need to accurately measure but I am guessing around 25ft from projector to screen.  Is that too far?  Like I said I am new to all of this but jumping fully in.  So any help and or suggestion you guys can offer up is greatly appreciated.  I fully understand its hard to say without accurate numbers but I will get out there soon to do some accurate measurements.  But the not being able to move the pj might be a kink into the whole pj mounted to the shed idea.  Great suggestion with the tilted shelf. 
Dennis
Offline Posts: 769

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:51:28 pm »

Welcome!  I'm in the west Chicago burbs too!

Here's our story ==> http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=1214.0

Glad to help with any questions...it *will* get warmer sometime.   Grin

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
movielover
Offline Posts: 2278

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

aren't we a nice fun bunch ?
yes we are, but a bunch of what is to be determined  Grin

Welcome George !!!

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
cemeb4dk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:19 pm »

Thanks Dennis, nice article in the Herald.  You are close I am in North Aurora.  Yeah I can't wait and I am a little OCD when it comes to new projects. So I am so looking forward to this, I know with the is website and the members here I will get the info I need and have an awesome BYT.  It also helps that the wife is on board with this hobby, (for now) Grin

Movie lover,  I am sure I will fit right in once I get my knowledge up to speed.  Thanks for the welcome
cemeb4dk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:10 pm »

ok see on here a day and already learned more.  I am dropping the billboard tarp and going to use trapeeze plus material for my screen, thanks to chatting with Dennis.
bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 05:53:36 pm »

George,

According to the calculator on ProjectorCentral.com, at 25', the Epson 705 HD will project an image 17.4' X 9.8' in 16:9 ratio.
cdepaola
Offline Posts: 879

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 06:41:46 pm »

Welcome aboard and always good to see another Chicagoland person... I'm in Plainfield, so also very close.

Looks like we could easily have a Chicago version of the Spargefest with amount of area folks I'm starting to see. We'll have to plan something

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »

Welcome aboard, George!  I'm on the West Coast (of Illinois).

25' sounds like a good throw distance.  Hopefully it will put you somewhere within the zoom range so you'll have some wiggle room to adjust image size right from the projector (with the PJ in a fixed position).

I'm partial to the Trapeze.  I've abused the heck out of mine.  You lose a little pop (or gain) with the open weave as opposed to a solid surface, but it's never bothered me at all.  And stretched properly it's perfectly flat, which I like a lot.

I also run my projector overhead and I love having it up there, out of the way.  The only problem I've ever had in that regard was forgetting to bring it in one night and waking up in the morning to a thunder clap.  It got a little wet.

You're going to have a blast with this.  Glad you're here.

Randy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:12:54 pm by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

cemeb4dk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »

you guys know how to make a guy feel welcome.  Thats cool that there are many locals in the area that share this passion of mine.  You count on me leaning on your knowledge to I become more familiar with all this stuff.

So the trapeeze fabric is definite. I wanted to get out there tonight and measure but honey do lists and the crappy weather prevented me from doing it.  So tomorrow it will be my first goal after work so I can narrow down my choices as far as projectors go.

If I can ask you guys another question, I have read that most rip the movies to there computer so they can work in their own intermission and previews.  I have a pc running windows 7, what is a program for ripping and then editing it all together.

Thanks again, this is a great website, and I hope someday soon I can contribute to others as you guys have to me

Also you guys have to let me know what a Sparge fest is, sounds like I do want in though....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:52:20 pm by cemeb4dk » Logged
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 685

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

Also you guys have to let me know what a Sparge fest is, sounds like I do want in though....

Be very, very careful what you ask for...  Wink

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
satch
Offline Posts: 414

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:08:30 am »

George

Your journey has begun , and you and your wife and freinds will enjoy immensley
you will find like most of us here, you are always looking at improving no matter what system you chose originally , I think I am on my 12th or so change in one way or another, in 5 short years,

I have a projection shed that is just used for my gear likeRandy stated the only thing I remove is my projector after each showing , which is a pain in the butt as it is overhead and of course when removing at 0400 in the morning you might be a little tipsy like i was and dropped the projector , which of course blew the bulb, this year I am going to leave in the shed and just build a steel door behind that no one can get to to possibly steal the projector

I would recommend you run your cables underground from your shed to your deck as I have done , out of sight out of mind and out of the lawnmowers harm. if you choose to do this encase the speaker wires in a plastic or ABS pipe .

Again welcome to the madness,I have sent you a separate post with pictures of my projection booth and screen

Satch

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: