Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
67 Guests, 1 User
shawn_ky
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 10:50:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 08:14:18 am]

[Yesterday at 05:50:04 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:34:13 am]

[September 22, 2014, 03:13:08 pm]

[September 20, 2014, 05:22:24 pm]

[September 17, 2014, 04:07:06 pm]

[September 16, 2014, 07:06:53 am]

[September 16, 2014, 07:00:23 am]

[September 16, 2014, 06:56:26 am]

[September 16, 2014, 02:00:40 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too good to be true? Optimax/3d Optics 3d 8500 projector  (Read 35927 times)
partridgewest
Offline Posts: 22

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:03:33 am »

I came across this projector  on ebay --
http://optimax3d.com/products/8500
they sell cheaply on craigslist too ( from 500 to 1000)
I ve been told its DLP then LCD Now LED.  I m thinking based on the spec's on the site
its a LED of some sort. Everyone who's got one is unloading it.....
They're all sold here in the states.

problem for me is these guys are not readily available. there's only an email contact on their site.
Of course I can check a domain registration, but I shouldn't have to track them down, right?
One of the folks who has one said they're in china and he did some research himself and they said they were commercial and now are doing HT retail.    Sounds like drywall or dogfood to me... I m pretty sure 99.99% of the users here and anyone who's into projectors can tell you in a heart beat the biggest names as well as rattle off some of the good tech that's in them (eg. TI DLP, darkchip, etc) No comment on the image or product itself.  Multiply that by a few, and you've got something really strange. I 'd like to hear if anyone has this and if it's for real.

While I m pretty sure it's bogus -- and I m a terrible cynic -- if it is for real and there's some dollar store projector punching out thousands and thousands of lumens and contrast ratio's then it's time to get one and start revising my critical thinking skills!

cinepro
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 06:13:06 am »

I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole!  Dark chip is not a single panel LCD technology. 7000 lumins for a maximum sized 200" screen is way too much (if true) so don't forget your sunglasses . Its not designed for 3d, and all the models feature the same technology no matter what price. They are pretty much the same technology as a diy projector and look to be the same as those that sell cheaply on ebay from Hong Kong.
Metric
Offline Posts: 468

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:44 pm »

Ive only seen LED's at low lumens, also LED dont use an LCD panel and bulb; and then it says darkchip 7 which implies DLP (which can be LED lit) but isnt darkchip 4 the latest?

Yeah... might wanna stay away.

partridgewest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

What's confusing is all of those projectors mention a 350W bulb. But 350 W bulbs are only about 4000 lumens.  Dunno about that contrsat they mentioned its great if true.
Let's see if someone has one here already......
doctorjohn
Offline Posts: 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:38 am »

New 3D Optics HD8500 Projector & Screen, HDMI included
DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE IMAGINARY "STEEL OF A DEAL" PROJECTORS.  I ALMOST GOT SCAMMED ON THIS PROJECTOR BUT LUCKY ENOUGH I WAS ABLE TO RETRACT MY BID ON EBAY.
YOU ALL ARE CORRECT!!  IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE SO DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. 
THIS PROJECTOR I FOUND OUT WITH LOTS OF RESEARCH IS NOT A 3D PROJECTOR EITHER.

THE COMPANY HAS A NICE WEB SITE BUT THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER AND I HAVE SENT SEVERAL EMAILS TO THEM.
ONE WAS ASKING HOW MUCH IT IS FOR A REPLACEMENT BULB FOR THE HD8500 PROJECTOR - ANSWER = NO REPLY.
THEN I SENT AN EMAIL FOR ME TO CONTACT THEM FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT - ANSWER = NO REPLY
THEN I TOLD THEM I BOUGHT ONE OF THERE HD8500 PROJECTORS AND I COULD NOT GET IT TO TURN ON: OF COURSE NO REPLY.
DO NOT BUY, DO NOT BUY!!!  EVEN IF IT WORKED, AS SOON AS YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU WILL HAVE NO WAY TO FIX IT OR IF YOU SEND IT TO SOMEONE ELSE: NO ONE EVEN SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT DARK CHIP 7 TFL IS?Huh  SCAM SCAM SCAM
EVERYONE THAT IS SELLING THESE SEEM LIKE THEY BOUGHT IT TO FIND OUT THEY WERE SCAMMED!  ALL I SEE IS EXCUSES LIKE "MY WIFE DOESN'T WANT ME TO PUT THIS NEW PROJECTOR UP, MUST SELL!"  THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO GET SOME OF THERE MONEY BACK.
IT MAKES ME MAD  Angry >:(THAT A COMPANY LIKE THIS CAN GET AWAY SELLING JUNK TO PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO MAKE A NICE MOVIE ENVIRONMENT FOR THERE FAMILIES.
I HOPE PEOPLE RESEARCH THIS AND FIND THIS COMMENT BEFORE THEY GET SCAMMED ON THIS ONE!!
ghorin86
Offline Posts: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »

Now hold on a second. I got one of these and let me tell you. XBOX 360 on this thing is spectacular and movies are awesome. Yeah they probably embellish the specs a little bit but all brands do really. Im not even sure what 7000 lumens would look like and how they came up with a number like that. Yes this thing is pretty bright. Its nothing compared to a Samsung UN55B8000 LED TV or something even close to that but for a $400 projector? Came with 2 bulbs. It is a good deal I think. It was a toss up between this and one of the LED projectors made in China on ebay.

I almost didnt get the HD8500 because of what I read on this forum. But Im glad I ignored the negative opinions from people who dont actually OWN one. Ive had no problems with it.

ABOUT THE OPTICS HOMEPAGE, yeah they suck. Granted I only emailed them once. Havent heard back yet and probably never will. Whatever. Not good business.

But a good projector.
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »

doctorjohn, need to ask you to not post in all caps.  Makes you look like you're screaming and even though you may have wanted it to look like you were screaming, nobody wants to read/hear that here.  Thanks

ghorin86, glad you're happy with the PJ.  I don't know the unit at all but I do know we all have different backgrounds and expectations from our gear.  You'll find a lot of people here with experience with several different projectors each.  We offer opinions where we can but it's generally subjective and most of us stick to well known brands.   Your favorable opinion is noted.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

partridgewest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 12:52:25 am »

Now hold on a second. I got one of these and let me tell you. XBOX 360 on this thing is spectacular and movies are awesome. Yeah they probably embellish the specs a little bit but all brands do really. Im not even sure what 7000 lumens would look like and how they came up with a number like that. Yes this thing is pretty bright. Its nothing compared to a Samsung UN55B8000 LED TV or something even close to that but for a $400 projector? Came with 2 bulbs. It is a good deal I think. It was a toss up between this and one of the LED projectors made in China on ebay.

I almost didnt get the HD8500 because of what I read on this forum. But Im glad I ignored the negative opinions from people who dont actually OWN one. Ive had no problems with it.

ABOUT THE OPTICS HOMEPAGE, yeah they suck. Granted I only emailed them once. Havent heard back yet and probably never will. Whatever. Not good business.

But a good projector.

Perhaps you can post some photos? and how big the screen is in your posting?   That way we can sort of make some informed judgement how good this "steal of a deal" really is.
I'd love to have a "backup" projector or one that I won't sweat for parts.  Right now, projectors are designed to be throwaway ( except the really heavy duty ones that sold for thousands had parts available ) but their prices are anything but.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: