Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
117 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:21:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first backyard movie night!!  (Read 10819 times)
TopherM
Offline Posts: 34

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2005, 01:49:53 pm »

I have been on the boards for a while now but was waiting for the nice Florida fall to have my first backyard movie night.

Well I will be having a trial run this Friday, December 18 with a few friends. If all goes well, I will be having a full-fledged party on December 3!!

The first movie is the unrated cut of Old School with Will Ferrell.

I'll be running a Optoma H31 projector onto a 10' by 7.5' screen.

I happen to be a part-time DJ, so my sound system consists of a 2500 watt Yamaha amp, two Yamaha S115V speakers, and a Yamaha 16/6 mixing board.

Everything should rock enough to make all you northerners whose season is over jealous....I'll have pictures of the trial run and the actual party up soon!!

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 06:55:10 pm »

Glad to hear it.  Good luck!

Jealous?  YES!!  Our weather totally went to pot overnight.  Snow, bitter cold, ice, car trouble, everything.

Have fun.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

cheftom
Offline Posts: 247

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 11:33:48 am »

I am doing the first run of all my new equipment for our big family Christmas Eve gathering, we are showing The Polar Express, we should have 75-100 people there and we will be giving them all Hot Chocolate, warm cookies and a Big Silver Bell, this should make it a great memory for all who attend. 

We have some over-sized "tickets"  (6"X2.5") printed on card-stock ready to hand out at Thanksgiving without any explanation of it being a movie. 

I will try and get pictures of the event and post them for everyone to see.

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
TopherM
Offline Posts: 34

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:17:28 am »

URG...utter disappointment.....

I have some pesky, sad, and bitter neighbors behind my house that managed to call the police at 8:00 on my movie night. Although everything was at a reasonable volume, which the cop actually agreed with me on, he made me shut it all down. I argued my case (the volume was very low and there were only 7 people at my showing, all of whom were certainly not loud either), I was threatened with a $180 citation and had to comply.

These backyard neighbors have done things like this before, apparently for no other reason than ruining a good time for everyone. I even tried inviting them out to things I do and they were likewise nasty to me for no apparent reason then as well.

On a good note, the screen looked great and everyone had a great time until the "bust." Guess I need a new location, but I am very satisfied with how my setup performed.

Oh, and I didn't manage any pictures before the police came either, so no go there.

Maybe I can look into an FM transmitter and go with headphones for everyone for the next show. Does anyone have a link to a site selling such a transmitter that would cover about a 800 square foot area??
movieman
Offline Posts: 1624

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:51:04 am »

With ref. to your sound problem with the neighbors go to Hobbytron.com for info on Ramsey FM radio transmitters.  Simple to operate and can be used with walkmans on the fm freq. If they complain now they must be reading lips.

rg
see you at the movies
cheftom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:34:38 pm »

That's too bad, there is also a party pooper.  Angry

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:20:35 pm »

I sure am sorry to hear about the neighbors.  Sounds like you've tried to make nice with them but you can't save all the whales.  Maybe the FM transmitter will take care of the audio complaint. 

Also, if you go the direction of headphones (which is a pain but could offer quite good sound -- and is hands-down better than most of the retaliatory thoughts that initially crossed my mind...)  and if your seating platform is a deck, you might consider LFE shakers of some sort mounted under the deck.  They don't make much noise and would still add to the effect.

Hang in there.

Randy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 08:31:15 pm by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 02:49:16 pm »

Too bad, man! There's one in EVERY neighborhood.

Here's what I would do....

It sounds to me like no one really has any idea what the "real" sound level was. The neighbors and the plolice just "think" its too loud.

Go to or call the local government office and look up or have them tell you what , if any, regulations there are for noise levels.  Beg, borrow or go to Radio Shack and buy an SPL meter. Take some readings. Make sure you're within the legal limits. Then tell 'em to GTH.

One other thing...if you are putting your speakers up on big speaker tripods (like my band does) everyone takes one look at the equipment and thinks it's too loud before you even turn anything on. If your neighbors just saw you setting those puppies up they were probably salivating to call the cops. Try keeping the speakers lower and then take some measurements.

Good luck. I'd be really pissed if this happened to me. Still looking forward to next season up north!

Tom
cheftom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 03:00:33 pm »

Also see if there is a time that the sound limit drops (usually 10pm) that way you have all the information to educate the local law enforcement and let your neighbors know they aren't the boss of you....  Roll Eyes Grin

Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:26:25 pm »

TopherM,

Dude...been there done that hired a lawyer!  Take a look at the posts on here titled "Satan Lives in my Neighborhood" and see all the good advise.  I think you are and will be OK to do what you want in your own yard.  Be sure and ask about the levels of sound that put you into violation and then operate below them.  Screw the neighbors behind you.  I had the same problem and there is not a thing they can do legally other than continue to call the police on me.  The police can't do anything other than request that I turn the sound down.  They cannot force me to or fine me.  Lastly, they cannot make you take anything down if it isn't making noise.  So, you still could have taken pictures unless they stood there while you took your show down.  lastly, burn your neighbors out of their house...lol  Kidding of course but it does sound like a good idea huh?

Dano

hiredpower
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 06:22:16 am »

lastly, burn your neighbors out of their house...lol  Kidding of course but it does sound like a good idea huh?

Dano

I thought at first I missed this post, but realized it was from Nov. of 2005...

Dano, you are too funny.

cafemom
Offline Posts: 372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:19:09 am »

TopherM,
Sorry to hear the Scrooge-Grinch Family lives behind you.  Good Luck !
Cafemom

Grab a blanket, a chair & a friend and join us outside!

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: