Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
129 Guests, 1 User
shawn_ky
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2017, 11:40:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 12:43:42 am]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]

by SR
[July 03, 2017, 12:00:45 am]

by SR
[July 02, 2017, 10:44:58 pm]

[July 02, 2017, 08:27:21 am]

[June 23, 2017, 10:17:34 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 11:14:32 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 01:16:29 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Poll
Question: As the host or hostess, what's most important to you?
Your audio (sound) quality. - 18 (6.5%)
Your video (projection) quality. - 107 (38.4%)
Your party quality. - 105 (37.6%)
Your movie selection. (The movie itself) - 49 (17.6%)
Total Voters: 274

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Backyard Theater Host/Hostess Poll  (Read 86536 times)
Player
Offline Posts: 120

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:37 am »

I had to go with movie selection. As long as the picture is viewable and you can hear everything, itís the movie that holds the attention. I started with a SVGA PJ, an old receiver and some bookshelf speakers and never had any complaints about PQ or sound. People will overlook shortcomings in the presentation if itís a great flick. But Iíve never heard ďThe movie sucked, but I stayed because the picture and sound were great.Ē Iíve upgraded everything just because I knew it could be better, but if I still had the original setup, people would come to watch a good movie (and get popcorn with Lou Ana buttery topping).
SR
Offline Posts: 703

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 01:41:59 am »

I had to go with movie selection. As long as the picture is viewable and you can hear everything, itís the movie that holds the attention. I started with a SVGA PJ, an old receiver and some bookshelf speakers and never had any complaints about PQ or sound. People will overlook shortcomings in the presentation if itís a great flick. But Iíve never heard ďThe movie sucked, but I stayed because the picture and sound were great.Ē Iíve upgraded everything just because I knew it could be better, but if I still had the original setup, people would come to watch a good movie (and get popcorn with Lou Ana buttery topping).

I know exactly what you mean.  My set up is less than ideal in a couple of ways, but yet there is a viewable image, and a list to able audio.  When my screen surface was in bad shape a few years ago I never got any negative comments.  When my AM transmitter hums a little sometimes, no one seems to care.  Now I have fixed the screen and am working on an audio upgrade for this coming season.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
ThriftStoreKing
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »

I used to worry about setting up a receiver with 5.1 surround and try to run cable to 5 speakers.  It got to be a real hassle for set up and take down.  I now have two high quality PA speakers and just run stereo from my powered PA mixer.  Easier to setup/takedown and everything go "boom" when it is supposed to.  I still remember going to the drive in and everyone had to listen to that dorky speaker hung from the window.  We didn't care - it was just fun to be there.  I worry more about picture quality.  I use a piece of 7 x 12 canvas for a screen which makes it durable and portable.  I have two poles welded to truck wheels that I use to hang the screen.
genesis76
Offline Posts: 3518

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »

I used to worry about setting up a receiver with 5.1 surround and try to run cable to 5 speakers.  It got to be a real hassle for set up and take down.  I now have two high quality PA speakers and just run stereo from my powered PA mixer.  Easier to setup/takedown and everything go "boom" when it is supposed to.  I still remember going to the drive in and everyone had to listen to that dorky speaker hung from the window.  We didn't care - it was just fun to be there.  I worry more about picture quality.  I use a piece of 7 x 12 canvas for a screen which makes it durable and portable.  I have two poles welded to truck wheels that I use to hang the screen.

You see I have 5.1 but for me the speakers are small & all pre-wired. So with me it is almost plug & play......but I do worry about people tripping on the wires Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2016, 05:29:43 pm »

We didn't care - it was just fun to be there. 

So my last post to this thread was almost 2 years ago.  Since then I have started helping out older friend of mine in the next town from us that has been doing BYT for more years I can count.  He broke his hip last winter and has been left with very limited mobility.  Last year I showed a handful of movies for him in his BYT, the Night-Sky, mostly for his friends.  This year I'm doing a whole season for him, since Jake, my partner in the Sit & Vue is now more than capable of handling things over there on his own. 

The reason I bring this up.  The Night-Sky ( the old mans BYT) is quite honestly in bad shape.  The 9 X 12 plywood screen is streaked with green from mildew.  There is some delamination of the plywood so I wouldn't dare try to pressure wash and paint it, for fear that pieces might start to come off.  Because he buried his speaker cabling, I'm guessing 20 years ago there is problems with that so half of the speakers are now fed from a radio the I'm broadcasting to using the old AM transmitter that I had previously retired from my BYT due to constant humming issues.  He's got a small wooden building that houses the projector, the mixer, my crappy transmitter, and a VHS machine.  Other than my transmitter it's all incased in a neat wood rack that he built when he was in better health.  The roof was leaking on the building, though I think I've got that sealed up at least for now.

It's actually a really neat BYT in the respect that he built so much of it himself when he was in better health, but it's suffered from more than a few years of lack of maintenance in recent years.  This is the thing that amazes me about the place.  His friends and now some of mine come to see the movies there.  Now one ever seems to care that a scene with venetians blinds in it creates sort of a checkerboard effect because of mold streaks on the screen, or the humming of the mono sound in the speakers in the quieter scenes or that dark scenes in a movie can be difficult to make out because the bulb in his PJ is way over due for replacement.

I'm trying to help him out as much as I can but you all know I don't have much free time or money.  Most of the time I do spend at his place besides on movie nights involved trying to get his lawn mower to run so I can cut the grass for him, and just doing the best I can to keep it going for him.

My whole point is that despite all of the problems and things that are less than ideal, people come and have a great time anyway. 

Oh by the way, I love the steel poles welded to the truck wheel idea.  Though it seems unlikely at this point that I will ever need to build another screen frame I will definitely keep that one in mind and file in the "why didn't I think of that" folder.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:57:37 pm by SR » Logged

ThriftStoreKing
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:12 pm »

I'm a child of the sixties that enjoyed drive-ins growing up.  Picture quality was not the greatest and those nasty metal speaker boxes that sound like drive thru speakers.  I find people respond most to the sound quality.  If you are fortunate enough to have an outdoor surround system that's awesome.  I find two channel amps do the trick and no one seems to mind.  The folks I have shown for are just happy to have a nostalgic outdoor experience.  Quick set-up and take-down are important to me.  I try to keep my system mobile.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2017, 12:00:45 am »

I'm a child of the sixties that enjoyed drive-ins growing up.  Picture quality was not the greatest and those nasty metal speaker boxes that sound like drive thru speakers.  I find people respond most to the sound quality.  If you are fortunate enough to have an outdoor surround system that's awesome.  I find two channel amps do the trick and no one seems to mind.  The folks I have shown for are just happy to have a nostalgic outdoor experience.  Quick set-up and take-down are important to me.  I try to keep my system mobile.
I think I'm a little younger than you because I missed the hay day of the drive in, but your thoughts are similar to mine, especially the "folks are just happy to have the experience" (pardon the paraphrasing).  My setup has never been cutting edge technologically, but I've had everything from a perfect screen surface to crystal clear FM stereo sound, to what I have now.  Someone elses backyard equipped with a badly worn out screen that effects the picture quality and a mono-AM system that includes humming during quiet scenes at no extra charge.  I can't pretend that other folks don't notice, the issues are to great they have too, but at the end of each and every night folks come up to me and thank me for keeping Gary's BYT going for him.  They still seem to love it.  Which is why when I voted back in 2012 I voted for party, although truly I would have voted for atmosphere had it been a choice in the poll. 

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: