How much oil is in a 4 oz popcorn pack?

(1/1)

nevinh:
When they say a popcorn popper is 4oz, are they referring to the half cup of popcorn you use?  If so, will the pre-measured popcorn packs work for a home popcorn popper?  I have a presto home popper with the stirring thing on the bottom.

Normally I use a half-cup (4 oz) of corn to about 2 tablespoons of oil, which works well.  Nowhere do I see what amount of oil is included in the pre-measured packs.

Sparge:
Generally the kettle size in ounces (4/6/8 oz) refers to the amount of unpopped kernels per batch.  As for the quantity of oil, a good rule of thumb is a 3:1 ratio.  That's 3 parts popcorn to 1 part oil.  As an example, for a 6oz popper one would use 1/4 cup oil for 3/4 cup (6 oz) of kernels.

Since a tablespoon is about 0.5 ounces, your 2 tablespoons per 4 oz batch might be a little dry at 4:1.  However, 3 tablespoons which is 2.7:1 might be a little wet.  Of course, different poppers have different characteristics.  You'll have to experiment to see what works best.

One last recommendation, aside from corn and oil don't forget Flavacol salt flavoring.  Flavacol is the secret ingredient to making great tasting movie theater popcorn!  Most of the pre-measured packets have Flavacol or similar already mixed in with the kernels.

-Sparge-

genesis76:
Just be careful of flavacol. As you can see it is very addictive. The cravings made people attack the popcorn machine for more flavacol as this picture shows from a recent Atlanta BYT event. It also can damage the body & bring on the desire for human flesh.

Please use in moderation! :D :D :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index