Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
68 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:40:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:43:58 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:36:07 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:33:05 pm]

[Yesterday at 09:27:37 pm]

[December 19, 2014, 03:46:04 pm]

[December 19, 2014, 10:55:40 am]

[December 18, 2014, 02:21:31 pm]

[December 17, 2014, 07:02:45 pm]

[December 16, 2014, 01:37:18 pm]

[December 10, 2014, 12:51:56 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: double up?  (Read 5356 times)
mousse
Offline Posts: 492

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »

Can I run two receivers into a single pair of speakers to get more out my system.  Got two receivers side by side and was considering this.  Can it work?

Don't judge the motives, just the results.
jterhar
Offline Posts: 47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:35 pm »

No.  Don't try it.  You will damage the amps.
nevinh
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »

sure you can, for a split second at least, then you short out the amps, and likely send straight DC current down the line to your speakers and blow them up too

In other words NO.  I would suggest getting an amp that is suited for the speakers you have and the output you require.  Some amps have what is called Bridged mode, if i am not wrong.... this bridges both amps of a stereo amp into one mono amp.  This would allow an amp that is say 100 WPC at 8ohms to work as a 250 watt 8 ohm amp, but requires you to loop out of one speaker into another.  You will NOT find bridging capabilities on home theatre amps, you need to look at professional PA amps.
mousse

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »

Whew!  Almost did it.  Then thought I'd check for replys to my question.

Something about it seemed ok but something didn't.  Couldn't put my finger on it with my limited knowledge.

Thanks a ton.

tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:07:39 pm »

The other option that you can do without damaging your system is called bi-amping.  That's using one of the two amps to drive the woofer in your speakers and the other one of the two amps to drive the tweeter.  That will accomplish what you're trying to do without damaging anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-amp

It's also expensive because you'll need a crossover before the amps.

bholio
Offline Posts: 36

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:14:28 pm »

Can I run two receivers into a single pair of speakers to get more out my system.  Got two receivers side by side and was considering this.  Can it work?
What if you ran the left channel to one receiver and the right to another receiver?   One receiver per speaker.

Although you are still limited by the individual amps in each receiver, there might be more breathing room in the power supply to drive them a little louder. 
mousse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:20:35 pm »

What if you ran the left channel to one receiver and the right to another receiver?   One receiver per speaker.

Although you are still limited by the individual amps in each receiver, there might be more breathing room in the power supply to drive them a little louder. 
What I think I'll do in the meantime is... run both receivers with four speakers.  I'll split the outputs from the various players and get more power that way.  Do you see any problem with this?

bholio
Offline Posts: 36

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »

Yeah, thats the best option.  You didn't mention that you had the extra speakers. 
genesis76
Offline Posts: 2922

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:55:05 pm »

Or ......sell the old equipment on ebay or Craigs list. Take that money and buy what you really need. Roll Eyes
mousse

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:34:40 am »

Or ......sell the old equipment on ebay or Craigs list. Take that money and buy what you really need. Roll Eyes
I know, I know.  I really should.  Sometimes I just bite off a little so it doesn't seem so painful for my wife.  She'll say; "Why do you need all that when were not even doing any jobs?" 

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: