Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
59 Guests, 1 User
Garp
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:31:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 07:09:27 am]

[November 26, 2014, 01:00:48 pm]

[November 26, 2014, 01:02:18 am]

[November 25, 2014, 11:49:34 pm]

[November 25, 2014, 12:05:26 pm]

[November 25, 2014, 02:38:57 am]

[November 23, 2014, 07:31:54 pm]

[November 22, 2014, 09:32:18 pm]

[November 20, 2014, 12:02:36 pm]

[November 17, 2014, 11:17:57 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No I didn't! It was an accident.  (Read 2473 times)
mousse
Offline Posts: 492

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:44:01 am »

Just fried the left channel on my Onkyo receiver.  I know I was asking if I could "double up" in an earlier post but that's not what happened. 

I accidentally shorted the speaker terminals while making some other connections when the system was powered up.

Is this simply a fuse issue or is it more involved?  It's something I've had since 1987.  Always loved it. Still want to use it. Don't want to spend another $100 for a stupid move on my part.

Don't judge the motives, just the results.
nevinh
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:38 am »

well when i blew up my first Karaoke Mixing Amp, it was about 3 transistors that blew.  Try to replace the fuse with the EXACT SAME SIZE, and if it blows immediately, then you need to find an electronics repair place.

I fould a place in columbus, OH and it was called Needle in a Haystack, and it truely was... not sure if it is even there anymore.  A TV repair place could also assist
victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1041

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:57:00 am »

Same thing happened to me on my Elite- which is why I'm using the preamp outputs now. Tried to get it fixed with an electrician- no go, even with the exact same parts. Might work in your case but I'm guessing unless you have pre-outs, its gone.

Sorry

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
jterhar
Offline Posts: 47

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

Most of the time, it is a transistor, or two, or three.  It is almost impossible to get anything fixed now-a-days.  Most of the time, it is faster, easier and cheaper to just go buy another.  If you do know an electronics hobbyist, you can ask him to help, but do the legwork and get the schematic first.  You can't find a complicated destination without a road map.  Trust me, it will make his job easier.  Sams has the books for most receivers.  One saving grace is that, since it is a stereo receiver, he has a good side to use to compare voltages.
genesis76
Offline Posts: 2913

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »

It's something I've had since 1987.  Always loved it. Still want to use it. Don't want to spend another $100 for a stupid move on my part.

Mousse it is sad when you have to part with equipment you have had for years. When I brought my Sony 25 XBR to the dump a few years ago there were tears in my eyes. I think it was 1987 also. I put a few dollars into it to keep it going a few more years in 2006......So go for it if you really like it & the cost are low see if you can repair it. Good luck Richard.
satch
Offline Posts: 414

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:32 pm »

Sad news when an amp dies,

Good news is I collect once or twice year all scrap around our cottage area and lake, telll all just throw in my trailer last load I got (saturday spring clean up)
136.00 for it amazed me that they paid me for old scrap metal (hot water tanks fridges, propane tanks that some idiot thru in our creek 17 of them grrrrrr
anyways that only good news having said that I still have  2 or 3 old amps
that I just cant part with just keep moving them around shed and they are heavy

Am I any help probably not if it was only 100 bucks to fix would say go for it
trouble is and usually is whats next .

Unfortunatley we have become a throw away world , which is sad
Nobody fixes their TV anymore throw it out and buy new one which was probably cheaper today then when you purchased it

will i evr part with my old amps prob never

cinepro
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:03 pm »

You might be lucky, it may just be a fuse!
nevinh
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:03:51 am »

I have my original karaoke mixing amp that I would love to get rid of.  As far as I know it still works, I swapped it out for a QSC GX-3 since I use an unpowered Behringer 1622FX pa mixer.  I also have a peavey XR684 for a backup along with another of the behringer mixers.

I am in west central ohio, and the thing is heavy.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: