Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
75 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:33:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:21:23 pm]

[Today at 07:03:26 am]

[Yesterday at 06:46:54 pm]

[Yesterday at 05:05:43 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:53:33 am]

[April 21, 2014, 11:11:30 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 04:50:46 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 11:59:52 am]

[April 20, 2014, 05:50:34 pm]

[April 20, 2014, 03:18:45 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A silly little somethin'  (Read 1602 times)
mousse
Offline Posts: 490

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:51:17 am »

I want to raise some old stereo speakers off the ground to get the bottom end more in line with the line of hearing. They seem to sound better when elevated or tilted up.  I was wondering if I could orient them upside down to get the woofer on top and maximize my intentions. Any thoughts?

Don't judge the motives, just the results.
genesis76
Offline Posts: 2812

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »

Hi Mousse: I have small speakers (Outdoor) not sure about what size you are talking about. I took flowerpots, cement and  2 by 4's. I cut the wood to the sitting height of the average person. I placed nails in the wood. The Wood is cemented into the flower pots and when I set them up I just attach the speakers to the post. I don't think it would be good for large speakers. My guess is you have large speakers but if not I am really happy with my setup. I agree the speakers sound best when raised.  Good luck!  Richard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know about the “woofer on top” My woofer once got on top of the neighbors woofer and soon we had more woofers than we needed.

Have you tried levitation a good magician could raise those speakers for you. Grin
jterhar
Offline Posts: 46

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:21 pm »

Considering the distance, it really doesn't matter whether the woofer is down or up.  Woofers are usually placed close to the floor so that there is some vibration transfer to the floor which amplifies the sound.  With the speaker raised, you need to add more bass to compensate.  Of course, adding too much bass will blow the speaker and maybe the amp, so be careful.  Obviously, the best route is a kick-butt sub woofer.  But, getting good bass outdoors translates into a lot of money. 
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

But, getting good bass outdoors translates into a lot of money. 

Boy I am in trouble $$$$$ is in short supply for me. My particle board bass will have to last Huh Huh
Gil V
Offline Posts: 894

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:44:33 pm »

I've found that putting speakers on concrete blocks tends to help with the lower frequencies.
jterhar
Offline Posts: 46

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

I try to put on a good show, given the limitations of the equipment that I can afford.  The good part is that if anyone is old enough to remember the speaker hanging from the window, your setup will sound a lot better.  Then there are the kids who have never been to a drive in.  The novelty of watching a movie outdoors will stick with them more than whether their flesh is vibrating.  And, in the end, it is all about family and friends getting together for a shared experience.  The message that I hear from most everyone on the board is:  "just have fun."
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 10:15:33 pm »

I try to put on a good show, given the limitations of the equipment that I can afford.  The good part is that if anyone is old enough to remember the speaker hanging from the window, your setup will sound a lot better.  Then there are the kids who have never been to a drive in.  The novelty of watching a movie outdoors will stick with them more than whether their flesh is vibrating.  And, in the end, it is all about family and friends getting together for a shared experience.  The message that I hear from most everyone on the board is:  "just have fun."

Well said.......nothing to add

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: