Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
53 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 12:55:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 10:28:54 am]

[Today at 10:00:39 am]

[Yesterday at 01:52:21 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]

[October 14, 2014, 09:07:45 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 09:05:49 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 02:36:24 pm]

[October 11, 2014, 01:26:30 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unpowered PA Speakers + Home Theater Amp?  (Read 7018 times)
CinemaTex
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:45:42 pm »

So I'm just beginning to piece together my outdoor setup and it's time to stop off at the Speaker forum for a little advice. I have plenty of time to get this together -- where i live it is going to be 106F most days so I probably won't start showing stuff till mid to late September.

I don't know anything about audio, but I've read tons of threads here and elsewhere. It looks like I am going to skip the craigslist tower speakers and go straight to a PA-type. For one, this is going to be a "Rolling Roadshow" of sorts and my audience size is going to vary, and PA systems look like they are made to travel.

Of course, like many on here I am trying to keep my budget on the low side. I figured I'd start with a 2.0 stereo setup and progress to 5.1 later. What does everybody think about getting some unpowered PA speakers, like this pyle pro model...it has 3 tweeters, a midrange driver, and a 12" subwoofer. Is there any reason to go with a more common 2-way PA speaker over a 3-way?

I'd connect it to a higher powered home theater amp, so in the future I could add a center channel, sub, etc. Or does a PA speaker have to be connected to a mixer?

So far I have the carlofet 9'x16' screen and that's it. Figured I would buy that first since the price doesn't change, and my projector last because those always seem to get cheaper...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:33:33 pm by CinemaTex » Logged
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:50:24 pm »

PA Speakers are "just" more efficient than home speakers.  They'll work great hooked up to a home receiver.

ArniePye
Offline Posts: 88

I can't see through metal, Kent!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »

CinemaTex,

What are you willing to spend?  For just a little more money you can get a significantly better speaker.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/354719.html

I have not listened to that Pyle speaker but in general, the frequency response of those piezo tweeters is not very good and that mid horn is not large enough to offer any pattern control.  The Peavey I mentioned is no gem either (it was just the first cheap thing I found) but it has a larger horn with a better compression driver - that's a step up.  Also, since it is made by a company that has been around for 46 years and offers significantly higher quality products it probably benefits from the R&D already done.

AP
Pyronious
Offline Posts: 265

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:41:17 am »

I use the Peavey PR10 speaker for my center channel and surrounds.  They are nice little speakers, rugged, and ergonomic with easy handles for moving around.  I use their big brother the PR15 for my main L & R channels.  Amazingly the PR15's weigh about the same as the PR10's despite being much bigger.  For the money this is a nice PA speaker and as ArniePye mentioned you get the benefit of Peavey's 46 years in the biz.

Seattle Starlight Cinema
www.SeattleStarlight.com
CinemaTex
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:04 am »

Thanks for all the responses.

It looks like I will be shopping for a pair of PR 10's. If I ever upgrade, they will hold their value a little better, or I can move them and use them as rears as the above poster stated.
STLmovieguy
Offline Posts: 230

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:09 pm »

I do this as a hooby and don't have alot of money to put into this. That being said, I have four pyle pro speakers, 2, 15 ins and 2, 12 ins, I like then very much. To me, they give great sound and and have many compliements on the sound. I use 5.1 sound and drive 1 speakers, plus a 600 watt sub, 4 as above, plus others with a 2500 watt techinical pro amp. great surround sound, even though, I run the sound from my dell laptop.
ArniePye
Offline Posts: 88

I can't see through metal, Kent!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:19:45 pm »

I can move them and use them as rears as the above poster stated.

Yes!  Now you've got it.  Those would be perfectly good surrounds any day. 

AP
wedgehead98
Offline Posts: 36

DIY Outdoor Theater is a sickness!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 04:48:49 pm »

Very interesting...

I'm running an Onkyo TX-SR405 surround sound head unit....

I can hook up PA speakers directly to it with the appropriate connector ?!?!?!?

That's amazing....seriously.

I have a 6.1 channel set up and have been using standard outdoor speakers (Niles, etc.) and it's OK, but we're running out of sound when the crowd gets bigger.  I turn up the volume but those little speakers start getting distorted.

I've been debating just buying a higher power head unit...

John

Shrek
Offline Posts: 28

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 01:24:28 am »

I use the PR15's with a Crown 1600w amp with my karaoke business for my portable set up, my gig that stays more stationary uses my PV-215's.  I love Peavey products, the PR15's have decent bass, very light (pair is less than the weight of 1 of the 215's), and have had zero issues with them.  For a very portable setup, as in the one we take camping to do movies and video games, I have a Peavey Performance Pak.  For 10" speakers, they sound ok, not alot of bass, but we don't turn it up anyways so we don't bother others and it takes up very little room in the camper to haul it.  Musicians Friend is where I buy the majority of my stuff, almost always have great prices, shipping is free, no tax, and great service.

I would rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 685

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:51:03 pm »

One issue with using a std. low end home stereo unit is the wattage rating is generally where the unit bursts into flame.   Wink

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »

OK....ready to pull the trigger on PA speaker system:

I have a Denon head unit that converts the BluRay Player Digital Audio Out to multiple flavors of stereo or surround sound with pre amp outputs...I'll be running Front Left, Right, Center this year (hope to buy more speakers for Rear Left and Right next year).

Now, the question is:

Passive PA speakers with amps near the projector/stereo, requires 120V AC power only at the A/V station...

Powered PA speakers with pre amp feeds.  Requires 120V AC power out at the speakers...

Do I get central volume control with both options?  I really don't want to have to walk around adjusting volume on each speaker during a movie...

One issue with using a std. low end home stereo unit is the wattage rating is generally where the unit bursts into flame.   Wink
Pyronious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:10:30 pm »

Do I get central volume control with both options?  I really don't want to have to walk around adjusting volume on each speaker during a movie...

The master volume control on your Denon will attenuate the preamp outputs, so yes you will get central volume control either way.

In both cases you should set the attenuation of your external (or internal) amplifiers to unity gain, and control the volume using the control on the Denon preamp.

Seattle Starlight Cinema
www.SeattleStarlight.com
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »

Thank you!

Any preference for powered speakers or passive speakers with separate amps?

John

The master volume control on your Denon will attenuate the preamp outputs, so yes you will get central volume control either way.

In both cases you should set the attenuation of your external (or internal) amplifiers to unity gain, and control the volume using the control on the Denon preamp.
Pyronious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 10:46:58 pm »

Any preference for powered speakers or passive speakers with separate amps?

My personal preference is for passive speakers with separate amps. Fewer cables to run and less weight to put up on stands.

Seattle Starlight Cinema
www.SeattleStarlight.com

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: