Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
72 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:21:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 07:30:12 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:04:15 am]

[August 31, 2014, 05:04:28 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 12:09:15 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 02:04:18 am]

[August 29, 2014, 08:14:49 am]

[August 26, 2014, 12:09:16 am]

[August 25, 2014, 06:07:59 pm]

by Chaz
[August 25, 2014, 02:52:13 pm]

[August 25, 2014, 11:46:19 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom Ice Cream Freezer...  (Read 4396 times)
KrazyTrain
Offline Posts: 253

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2011, 05:19:17 pm »

Here's a few pics of the Ice Cream box I built to house the box freezer my wife and I have incorporated to the outdoor theater...and man o man do the guests go wild for Ice Cream during the movie...lol.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:23:38 pm by KrazyTrain » Logged
Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 566

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:18:57 pm »

Oh, my gosh!
Oh, my GOSH!
Oh, MY GOSH!
OH, MY GOSH!

Did you laminate something on the sides of the chest??

The lighted picture is super.

You are so right about the ice cream. I have a little tiny counter top freezer crammed with drumsticks, sandwiches, Eskimo pies, and popcicles. EVERYONE will get something from the freezer before the movie is over.

Do tell more about how you made this.  I've got to do it (on a smaller scale), if I can.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:42:53 am by Oldalgebra » Logged

KrazyTrain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:29:27 pm »

Oh, my gosh!
Oh, my GOSH!
Oh, MY GOSH!
OH, MY GOSH!

Did you laminate something on the sides of the chest??

The lighted pictures is super.

You are so right about the ice cream. I have a little tiny counter top freezer crammed with drumsticks, sandwiches, Eskimo pies, and popcicles. EVERYONE will get something from the freezer before the movie is over.

Do tell more about how you made this.  I've got to do it (on a smaller scale), if I can.

Well, first of all, thank you for the kind words...they are very much appreciated...

...and truth be told, all I did was build a box with a lid that houses the freezer box I bought at home depot. I also made sure any vents that were attached to the freezer to allow for air flow were removed and attached to the outside of the holes I cut into the box in the locations they needed to be. It must be able to get fresh air in there or it will overheat and malfunction.

So my advice would be to get yourself a small box freezer so the dimensions are easily assertained and simply build a box big enough for it to fit inside, throw some casters on it and make sure it can breathe...once that's done, decorate the outside any way you like...good luck!

P.S. If you need any help along the way, don't hesitate to ask my friend...after all, that's why we're all here... Grin
Oldalgebra

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »

OK. So I took a closer look.
The picture with the lid up - I thought I was looking into the freezer. Actually, the lid to the freezer is still closed, right?
Hmmmm. I might be able to enlist the help of someone with a table saw. I don't think I can cut straight enough with a jigsaw. Still, I might not have to give ti a try. That's some sort of trim on the edges. It might help cover up my mistakes.

Boy! I'm getting excited now.

How did you make the lighted picture? I think it looks so cool at night.

KrazyTrain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »

OK. So I took a closer look.
The picture with the lid up - I thought I was looking into the freezer. Actually, the lid to the freezer is still closed, right?
Hmmmm. I might be able to enlist the help of someone with a table saw. I don't think I can cut straight enough with a jigsaw. Still, I might not have to give ti a try. That's some sort of trim on the edges. It might help cover up my mistakes.

Boy! I'm getting excited now.

How did you make the lighted picture? I think it looks so cool at night.

...yeah, the lid to the actual freezer is closed in the picture as it operates separately from the actual box lid...

...and you know what would be even easier than cutting the wood yourself? Buy the freezer and come up with the dimensions of your box. Then, take a list of those dimensions for all 4 sides, the bottom and the lid to your local Lowes or Home Depot and have them cut them all to size. The first 2 cuts are free and the rest are only .50 cents a pop. Then it's just a matter of assembly at home and putting the corner molding and lid on. You would be under 5 bucks for all the cutting and the pieces will be perfectly cut in that huge saw they have. I actually have a construction business and every tool known to man and do that all the time simply because it's easier to lay out a few bucks for the cuts than setting up my table saw and cut them all myself...

...and here is the link that shows the thread on here that inspired the light up marquee. It's a very simple process that results in a really cool detail that looks just awesome at night.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=5036.0

Here's a picture of the candy counter I built last season with another illuminated marquee installed on the front. Cemeb4dk was instrumental in teaching me how to create them and was just awesome throughout all the trial and error. Read through the thread and you will find all the information you need to create a illuminate marquee box...

...and again, any questions as you go through the process, don't hesitate to ask...Smiley
KrazyTrain

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:00:14 pm »

Here's the little sign my wife made that sits on top of the box so people can select what they want without having to rummage through everything that's in there...

Oldalgebra

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:52:01 am »

Well, the door to my counter top model opens from the front. That could be a problem. But if I manage to work around that, I'm definitely going to use Lowe's for the cuts. I guess I'd have to put my lighted sign on top then - or perhaps one on each side. I do love that sign.

...and here is the link that shows the thread on here that inspired the light up marquee.
Oh! I remember that post now.
I reread it all again. You were the one who found the solution to the faded black problem.

Thanks for all the great information.

Really like your wife's sign showing all the contents, by the way. I'm going to add one of those as well - or maybe just incorporate it into the lighted sign.
(I'd forgotten all about fudgsicles! Used to love them as a kid.)

KrazyTrain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 08:15:06 am »

Well, the door to my counter top model opens from the front. That could be a problem. But if I manage to work around that, I'm definitely going to use Lowe's for the cuts. I guess I'd have to put my lighted sign on top then - or perhaps one on each side. I do love that sign.

...and here is the link that shows the thread on here that inspired the light up marquee.
Oh! I remember that post now.
I reread it all again. You were the one who found the solution to the faded black problem.

Thanks for all the great information.

Really like your wife's sign showing all the contents, by the way. I'm going to add one of those as well - or maybe just incorporate it into the lighted sign.
(I'd forgotten all about fudgsicles! Used to love them as a kid.)

...anytime my friend...good luck!
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:59:30 pm »

was thinking of buying a small freezer. been looking for a small tabletop model and ran across this on craigslist. but how does the thing keep ice cream cold? :/ 

i do have a similiar top-down freezer like in the above pictures but its about halfway filled with scrumptious costco meat. maybe i could just level them as flat as possible and lay a piece of wood on top, then the ice creams on top?

KingPin
Offline Posts: 152

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:56:35 am »

was thinking of buying a small freezer. been looking for a small tabletop model and ran across this on craigslist. but how does the thing keep ice cream cold? :/ 

Dry Ice ? Undecided
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:58:36 am by KingPin » Logged
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:44 am »

i was talking with a friend of mine today and that seems to be it. i wonder how expensive that would be though. at smart and final (local store) they carry dry ice, but sell it in small rectangular pieces. maybe i would have to go to the local ice monger?

i also got to thinking could one convert a regular mini-fridge into full on freezer duty?

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

craigslist to the rescue!

$25. in talks with the seller right now

FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 412

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:23 am »

maybe i would have to go to the local ice monger?

Tym's Dry Ice on Arbor Vitae & Inglewood Ave in Inglewood sells dry ice by the slab (2" x 1' x 1' ??). We used to use them at my old job for packing perishable shipments (Food, blood, chemicals, etc).

Tazman101

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:05 am »

craigslist to the rescue!

$25. in talks with the seller right now

very cool ( bad joke intended )

I'd bet with that little freezer, if you built the surround correctly with enough room for the coils you could put it on its back so the lid opened upwards instead of from the front.  then just use the 'shelves' as separators for the different goodies.

Sparge
Offline Posts: 2840

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 06:14:59 pm »

I'd bet with that little freezer, if you built the surround correctly with enough room for the coils you could put it on its back so the lid opened upwards instead of from the front.  then just use the 'shelves' as separators for the different goodies.

Just make sure the compressor stays upright.  Most don't compressors don't even like being laid on their side during shipment.  Operating on it's side is almost always a no-no as the reed valves become submerged under liquid rather than remaining in the gaseous portion.

-Sparge-

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: