Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
55 Guests, 2 Users
FrostyFreeze, victor-eyd
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:45:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:00:39 am]

[October 19, 2014, 01:52:21 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]

[October 14, 2014, 09:07:45 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 09:05:49 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 02:36:24 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mega-Tronn Theater  (Read 46613 times)
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:40 pm »

this is a repost of the avs thread.

bought an Acer HC5360. native 720p. price was "right"

built a homemade screen from blackout material from Joann's (fabrics or linens, one of them). screen material was $20 for 54"W x 100"L. this will give me a rough 105" projected image.

built the frame for the screen from 1/2" PVC pipe. its a little flimsy (ok ALOT) but mounted to a brick wall, you cant tell! Tongue  5 pipes cost about $1.50 each for 8' long pieces. plus the small cost of 4 90° PVC pieces and 4 "T" end pieces.

this pic is from the assembly stage:

added grommets to the material. effectively i reduced available screen space, but i didnt give a gosh-darn. tightened it all up with bungie cords.

first movie/test run: Rango. funny as heck!

equipment list: toshiba blu-ray player, acer h5360 projector, leftover receiver, leftover speakers, homemade screen.

more details plus vids later. PEACE!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:11:55 pm by tronn4 » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »

this crude drawing shows the general layout of things during parties. currently im exploring 2 different setups.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:13:32 pm »

this small vid was from a test run of one of the new projected image locations. big azz image!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kIXpgFRZIWY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/kIXpgFRZIWY</a>

rich92069
Offline Posts: 1248

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:38 pm »

happy times... pretty cool!

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »

this pic is the same area as that big azz image location. running a test pattern:

these are the basics for projecting. the acer hc5360 projector and ps3. this was during a few image test runs, so no audio setup. the projector has an itsy bitsy 5w speaker

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »

had 2 FIFA tournaments with my brothers and brother-in-law.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:21:08 pm »

Blu-Ray and HD DVD CAN get along!

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »

i also have stadium seating  Shocked  Grin

thanks craigslist!

marjiea1
Offline Posts: 61

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

Your set up made me smile, pretty much thrown together like mine, but we still really enjoy it.  Now that the weather has cooled here in Florida and the snow birds have started arriving asking when movie night is, I'll have to plan something, get my gear out and head to the backyard.

I used a white plastic tablecloth on pvc frame at first, 100" diagonal or so, but moved to a 16' x 9' white tarp with ropes thrown over the shed and staked out on the back side to anchor it (the pvc frame kept blowing over, the tarp rustles along the side of the shed but doesn't disrupt the movies.)  I use the whole 16 foot width, but my movies never use the whole height. I think the movies come out like theater width instead of strictly 16:9, but that makes it so I can move the captions below the film, so I haven't bothered investigating why.  None of the hearing people have complained about my $20 used stereo that fakes surround sound from stereo input to 5 speakers, nor have the neighbors complained (although most of them are here on movie night.)

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:29:22 pm »

yup. this setup is def. thrown together. spent the most $ on the projector. the receiver is a 15 year old sony and im using its rear speakers as my fronts :p
the sound is nice and balanced in terms of bass and treble. would like a sub however there is no output for a sub on this receiver. i have 2 other spare home theater in a box receiver/speakers setups but none go as loud as this old sony.

i was originally going to name the screen: "The No Math Required" screen. it was put together with a pencil, measuring tape, pvc pieces, and a hacksaw. some pieces are off a lotta bit but nothing thats noticeble whilst playing movies.

the projector (as seen above) sits on a folding table and is "dynamically adjusted" via 2 folded JCPenny mail catalogs (the thin ones), plus any single dvd/blu-ray movie case. ITS ALL VERY SCIENTIFIC YO!  Roll Eyes

if i can get the projector mounted on the tree (again... SCIENCE), then begins this theaters upgrade route. the screen material from BOC to ad vinyl, then the receiver upgraded, then the speakers to at least 5.1 surround. the "stadium seating" needs some customizing work on them, but minor.

luckily u and i live in pretty good areas weather-wise for most of the year. upgrade-itis hits us all year long!  Tongue

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:43 pm »

wife freezing her ass off (september, musta been about 70) Tongue

rich92069
Offline Posts: 1248

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:57 am »

you must live in California for 70 degrees to be cold....

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »

so ive ordered and have already received my 9x16 screen from carls place. now i've ordered the pieces for the frame:

0° straight connectors (x4), "T" connectors (x2) will be bought tonight at the canopy kits retail location.

10' emt conduit (x7), 90° right angle corners (x2), 8" ball bungees (x50), pipe cutter (x1) all on order. will be picked up saturday morning.

i'll spend the afternoon assembling the frame, mounting the screen, and diggin up 2 18" holes in the yard. each hole will have a 17" piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe set inside an 18" round concrete form. just enough of each PVC pipe will stick out above ground level so as to allow a cap to prevent water. this can be finished sunday.

saturday night however, THERE WILL BE MOVIES PLAYED OUTSIDE! once i have the frame set and the screen on it, i will mount 2 wall hooks onto the facia boards of our rear bedroom. then its a simple matter of hooking the frame unto the hooks!  then the tiedowns buts thats all secondary.

my "schematics":

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »

Looks like a plan.  Have fun!

Btw, it's 33 degrees here.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »

Looks like a plan.  Have fun!

Btw, it's 33 degrees here.

Randy

OUCH! 33!? this past sunday was the last night it was below 40°. the rest of this week is scheduled to be 45°-50°.

screen update: got all the required frame pieces but stopped short of actually building it Sad
mostly was due to xmas shopping. now that THATS done though, we can get down to the nitty gritty. i menitoned in a different thread here that the local business i found that carries canopy pieces also carries 8"x8"x8" concrete blocks. i will check them out tomorrow and see whats up. if those are the final pieces of the frame puzzle then this friday fo sho' i'll begin to cut and assemble the frame and paint it too! saturday i'll spend playing anti-nature boy and chopping down this trees' limbs off. but everything should be set for sat. night as the re-opening of our outdoor theater. thusly the current "Ciné-Tronn" theater will be re-named: "Mega-Tronn".

for those that dont know, my affinity for the "tronn" moniker supports my belief that everyone can benfit from watching both Tron movies AND its also my xbox ID. well... "tronn4" is

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: