Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
46 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:38:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[December 19, 2014, 03:46:04 pm]

[December 19, 2014, 10:55:40 am]

[December 19, 2014, 10:22:26 am]

[December 18, 2014, 09:59:27 pm]

[December 18, 2014, 02:21:31 pm]

[December 17, 2014, 07:02:45 pm]

[December 16, 2014, 01:37:18 pm]

[December 10, 2014, 12:51:56 am]

[December 04, 2014, 11:06:40 pm]

[December 04, 2014, 02:44:34 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mega-Tronn Theater  (Read 48977 times)
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:33 pm »

Tronn,
Where did you get the Yankee Doodle Mouse?  Off YouTube? It looks too sharp to be a YouTube.
OA

No it's a DVD that came out late last year. Off the top of my head it's called something like Tom and Jerry the golden collection. It has remastered toons from the 40's and 60's

edit: correction; its a blu-ray that came out last year. it is the tom and jerry golden collection volume 1

amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Jerry-Golden-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0058O1FHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338336906&sr=8-1

if you have a blu-ray player and love tom and jerry, get it on blu-ray. its VERY worth the price. i think i got it for about $20

these are the cartoons:
Puss Gets The Boot
The Midnight Snack
The Night Before Christmas
Fraidy Cat
Dog Trouble
Puss N' Toots
The Bowling Alley Cat
Fine Feathered Friend
Sufferin' Cats
The Lonesome Mouse
The Yankee Doodle Mouse
Baby Puss
The Zoot Cat
The Million Dollar Cat
The Body Guard
Puttin On The Dog
Mouse Trouble
The Mouse Comes To Dinner
Mouse In Manhattan
Tee For Two
Flirty Birdy
Quiet Please!
Springtime For Thomas
The Milky Waif
Trap Happy
Solid Serenade
Cat Fishin'
Part Time Pal
The Cat Concerto
Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Mouse
Salt Water Tabby
A Mouse In The House
The Invisible Mouse
Kitty Foiled
The Truce Hurts
Old Rockin' Chair Tom
Professor Tom
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:19:25 pm by tronn4 » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:58 pm »

also just came back from jo-anns. that'll be a negatory on the black out cloth. turns out they ONLY had 100" long roll. have to check a couple other jo-anns tomorrow. name and price for the BOC is "Budget Black Out Cloth" for about $6.99/yard.

also found out jo-anns does carry that marine cloth. problem is the del amo store only has it in red. its $16.99/yard. i only need a 2" wide strip along each edge so it wont be super expensive. the 2 boat repair shops i called wanted at least $20/yard. jo-anns wins because they have a 50% coupon any single item. :p

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2012, 07:58:20 am »

cine-tronn 2.0 update: found black marine vinyl through amazon. @ 9.98/yard its about equal to jo-ann's price with that 50% off coupon. just letting y'all know of some other options.

http://www.amazon.com/Wide-Marine-Vinyl-Black-Fabric/dp/B0042TOBM8/ref=pd_bxgy_ac_img_c

as i need a 1" border on each side of the BOC (of which i should get today) that would be a 2" wide strip needed. that way it can be folded over in half and stitched through the BOC. this vinyl comes in 54" wide rolls. it would be cheaper to divide the total linear inches needed for the screen by 54". this would mean i would get multiple 54" long segments, rather than one continuous strip.

for this project i recalculated how many linear inches needed. it comes out to 338" linear. with the 54" wide roll, i would require a 14" long X 54" wide piece of vinyl. it would then be cut every 2" in length giving me 7 2"x54" segments. gives me about 10% extra material to work with. for the heck of it i could order 1 yard (about 3 feet) and have plenty for 2 screens! probably 3 if i wanted 16:9 ratio screens.

---------------------

mega tronn update: since i've bought the 2 new outdoor speakers, i've been thinking of attaching the speakers to the mega tronn screen frame. the issue i have is the weight of the speakers. though not heavy themselves, the screen frame is basically hanging from the roof. there are no leg supports on the frame. adding a speaker to each side will add a more pronounced "bow" to the frame. i would imagine it would force me to actually use a spreader bar attachment. it wouldnt be a bad thing though. i just got to thinking: "cant i just build each speaker their own stand?".  the answer is: i sure can!  drawing up idea right now!

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 587

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2012, 08:39:55 am »

Tronn,

I'd think about cutting the black material into 2.5-inch widths if you want one full inch on each side. It's surprising how much material is taken up in the fold.  Make a couple of little strips and try them out first. Sew them (or glue, if that's what you're doing) on to see the actual border you will end up with.

Another thought. You might want to hang the speakers from the eaves. Instead of making a stand for them, make a hanger. Something with a hole, a loop, or a "T" at the top that slips over or between one or two of those hooks that you use for the screen. That way, you won't have to worry about them tipping over.

Just a thought.
OA

P.S. I added the Tom and Jerry DVD to my Amazon cart. When I come across something I want that will push the total over $25, I'll order it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:55:13 am by Oldalgebra » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2012, 02:04:40 pm »

good catch on the extra half inch to the vinyl material. i could still get only 1 yard of the material and have plenty for 2!

the hanging of the speakers onto the eaves is a good idea except that i do want to use these speakers on the current and future incarnations of cine tronn (the smaller portable BYT). so its kinda a given that the speakers must be movable/portable.

Tazman101
Offline Posts: 253

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2012, 02:25:35 pm »

good catch on the extra half inch to the vinyl material. i could still get only 1 yard of the material and have plenty for 2!

the hanging of the speakers onto the eaves is a good idea except that i do want to use these speakers on the current and future incarnations of cine tronn (the smaller portable BYT). so its kinda a given that the speakers must be movable/portable.

What about a bracket design that puts the speaker weight on both the horizontal and the vertical support of the frame? An example would be if you mounted the speakers at the bottom left and right corners, you could have a support bracket on the vertical side frame pipe, and also a bracking to sitting on the bottom piece of pipe on the frame right in the corner. 

Basically share the load of the speakers instead of it being all on one or the other of the frame sides.
Underdog66
Offline Posts: 303

'Cause cuttin the roof off my den would be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2012, 05:01:38 am »

What kinda grommets you planning to use?  I really like my big plastic ones.  They are a little bulky if you plan on rolling the screen, but if you are just folding its a non issue.  They might be out as an idea if you want a 1" border.  Each grommet is about 2 inches across.

Infinity Backyard Motion Pictures
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:09 am »

Yeah I'd seen those. They're called tarp clamps right?  Right now I'm searching everywhere I can think of for black grommets. This will be a smaller screen that I would fold down.

The JoAnns store in Lakewood has both the BOC and the black marine vinyl. Got them both yesterday. In total price was $28. 120"lx54"w BOC and 36"lx54"w marine vinyl. Turns out they have their mailers in the store and you use as many of them as you want so I did for both items.

My hope is to start building the frame today (as the party it's meant to debut at is saturday!) and perhaps attempt to sew a few test fabrics. I have no sewing experience!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:51:28 am by tronn4 » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 03, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »

Friday night was a Indiana Jones Fest!

Raiders:

Temple of Doom:

I was up super early do I only handled till midnight Sad

Saturday was my nieces kindergarden graduation and movie Fest too!

Warm-up show consisted of some Foghorn Leghorn:

And a favorite Daffy Duck episode of mine:

Disney/Pixars Lifted is a favorite of my niece:

Main feature (and request of niece) was Jurassic Park:

I was told by 3 neighbor kids that they could hear the T-Rex scream from half a block away! >Smiley  as it was still before 11, the volume was still up! lol

Second movie was Alice in Wonderland (Burton)

Third was The Little Mermaid

Fourth was about an hours worth of Undercover Brother
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:27:41 pm by tronn4 » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »

Ok to the technical stuff:

I could not finish the 2.35:1 screen I wanted to make for the event. However, due to a bad layout of the party area by an unnamed accomplice (my sister), I could not set up my old Cine Tronn 1.0 screen where it was needed!  So I made use of that wall. It's the second story wall of my parents house. I didnt even calculate the dimensions but I was about 30 feet away from the wall.

The wall was stucco so it did have little nooks and crannies and to top it off it was yellow in color! The projector handled it like a boss though as it has an internal switch that you can tell it what color wall you're working with and adjust itself to that color.

This was the first time I used my new Outdoor Speaker Depot speakers at my parents and like I already mentioned the sound was loud, clear, and with help from that new sub I bought, very awesome! There were 2 neighbors on either side of us having small bbq's of their own and from the first cartoon till the last movie they turned down their small radios and were watching our films! Initially our small party group numbered about 20, but if you add the neighbors it easily went up to at least 50!

They all asked about projecting some upcoming fight. I spent at least the entire time I was passing the cartoons talking to both neighbors about how to setup their own projection systems! 

The video port is what I'm most excited about. I brought only the new WDTV Live, my external USB powered HDD with the films on it, and the projector. So the WDTV Live unit read the films off the HDD and sent it through the receiver and the receiver then switched it out towards the projector!  It was a super small setup and with a bit of fine tuning to the tech rack, I'll be sure to have a much smaller and portable setup for these extra BYT setups!

I think I'm heading to Frosty's FAVORITE store... Frys! lol. I seen a 1.5 TB external HDD for $100
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:49:16 pm by tronn4 » Logged

Underdog66

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:00 am »

Sounds like it went well!  Did you ever find those black grommets?  I haven't seen any in stores before.  The name of the big black plastic ones I use are Tarp Grabbers.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2012, 07:06:41 am »

didnt get to that point. i did get to cut the black marine vinyl into 2 1/2 strips though. still have plenty of left-over vinyl and i only purchased 1 yard's worth. the wife returns so i'll put her to work >:] 

i believe what i need to fold the strips over onto the BOC and keep the fold as straight as possible, are some super heavy duty "alligator" clips. i did review our lil ol' sewing machine and it does not double-stitch. so im guessing i have to stitch twice?

Underdog66

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2012, 02:23:38 am »

Not necessarily on the double stitching.  There are lots of options.  You can buy a sewing machine needle with 2 needles together, but you have to find the right kind for your machine and they can break easy on heavy fabric unless its an industrial sewing machine.  If you don't care about how pretty the back of the screen is, I can show you how to have double stitching showing only a single stitch.  Or I can show you show no visible stitches at all.  That one takes a while.  Or we can just let your wife do it when she gets back.  Grin

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 587

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2012, 08:09:07 am »

The first time I sewed anything with tons of material, I forgot to take into account how much all the fabric was going to weigh.

If possible, do your sewing on a large/long table, workbench, or kitchen counter. Set the sewing machine up on the far right. That way, the fabric can rest on the rest on the counter (instead of drooping to the floor) and not pull downward, working against you as you try to keep your seams straight.

nivek
Offline Posts: 181

MOONLIGHT Backyard Theater

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2012, 03:40:40 pm »

How weather resistant is BOC? I know it is like a big sail and it might fly away, but can it stand a little rain once in a while?

Say you have a 52in TV! Try a 9X21', then we'll talk.
Nivek/KCS

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: