Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
65 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:30:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RECOMMEND RECIEVER/AMP  (Read 4889 times)
okiedog
Offline Posts: 15

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:34:56 am »

I have been using a very old Pionner HT reciever to power my outdoor theater. Well last night I discovered that it is now toast and needs replacing. I would like to have a nice amp to run my speakers without alot of the extras that I do not need from a HT receiver (am/fm, etc). Everything is a permanent fixture (screen, speakers, projector table, dedicated dish, etc) with the exception of the electronics. Conduit is buried from screen area to table with power, speaker wires, etc. This way my setup is quite quick.

Here is what I am using for equipment as well as future plans:

Stereo speaker setup L/R mounted JBL control 28's
2 dvd players (1-movie HDMI, other pre-show RCA's)
Infocus X9 projector
DirecTV receiver with dedicated dish

I just need a good source of power to give the JBLs, but I'm lost on what to purchase. I am always going to stay stereo but would like to add a sub in the future so that would be my only expansion.
okiedog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 04:11:26 pm »

Here are the specs for the JBL speakers I am using:
Frequency Range (-10 dB)1: 60 Hz to 16 kHz
Continuous Program:
Power Capacity2: 175 Watts
Sensitivity3: 92 dB SPL, 1W, 1m
Directivity Factor (Q): 7.5
Directivity Index (DI): 8.8
Nominal Impedance: 8 ohms
Crossover Frequency: 2.8 kHz

I dont seem to find what I am looking for in a dedicated amp. So are my options just HT reciever in order to get stereo sound and a sub out for future use? Budget up to $250
ArniePye
Offline Posts: 88

I can't see through metal, Kent!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »

okiedog,

I'm guessing you've been using your receiver to switch at least the audio between sources.  If you bought a dedicated amp you would still need something to cover that function - usually a small mixer.  You may also need a crossover when you add your sub.  My point is that a home theater receiver packs all that in one package and for many it's the right solution.  Pick your price range. 

okiedog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 09:28:24 am »

I'm guessing you've been using your receiver to switch at least the audio between sources.

No not really. I have always only used one rca input on the reciever. When showing movies while using the two dvd players I have the outputs piggy-backed into the same input on the receiver.
Sparge
Offline Posts: 2858

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:36:01 pm »

I'm guessing you've been using your receiver to switch at least the audio between sources.

No not really. I have always only used one rca input on the reciever. When showing movies while using the two dvd players I have the outputs piggy-backed into the same input on the receiver.

That's an electrical no-no.  The output from one player backfeeds into the output of the other player (and vice versa).  That can damage one or both players.

As a rule, a single output can be split with a "Y" cable to feed two inputs (one player feeding two amplifiers) but two outputs can not (safely) use a "Y" cable to a single input (two players feeding one amplifier).

-Sparge-
ArniePye
Offline Posts: 88

I can't see through metal, Kent!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »

I have always only used one rca input on the reciever. When showing movies while using the two dvd players I have the outputs piggy-backed into the same input on the receiver.

okiedog,
May I ask why you would combine inputs using Y cables when you have a bunch of open RCAs on the receiver?   
okiedog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:23:48 am »

[/quote]

okiedog,
May I ask why you would combine inputs using Y cables when you have a bunch of open RCAs on the receiver?   
[/quote]

I figured you would....

When I first build my theater I was using a TOA BG1120 amp running a 70V system. Having only one RCA input, my only choice to run 2 dvd's was to combine the RCA's. So setting in the dark I was able to hit input on projector remote, power down one dvd, unpause other and I had a pretty seamless transfer from preshow to feature movie. When I switched to a HT reciever with dedicated inputs I really did not want another step in the transfer, so I left it the same because it worked. I also noticed a voulme difference in the different inputs. If I had the reciever wired indoors I would probable do things different.

I tried to make everything fast to set-up to it would be used more. Since my speakers are mounted and the wires are ran in conduit to the table I used a 4 wire trailer plug for connection. One side wire to reciever the other crimped to the speaker wires. One plug connection and speakers are wired. I can setup and be using my theater in under 5 minutes.
Ronbo66
Offline Posts: 101

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:33:16 am »

Hi,

Take a look at the Pyle PD1000A as a receiver. It does have some things you do not want like AM and FM but it has a built in DVD and playes Karaoke dics and has a low cost. Also 1000w
     Use it all the time and love it.

Ron
okiedog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:46:31 am »

Thank you Ronbo66, I will look into that.

Sparge, I will take note of your post and change my wiring habits, thank you!

Back to my old HT reciever... I pulled it back out last night and looked at it a little closer in my shop. I did find why I lost my volume when I tried to use it the other night. Apparently I had pushed "tape 2 monitor" button Roll Eyes. I was still able to switch inputs but I volume output. Problem solved Grin.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: