Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
54 Guests, 1 User
OutdoorGeek
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:34:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 07:30:12 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:04:15 am]

[August 31, 2014, 05:04:28 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 12:09:15 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 02:04:18 am]

[August 29, 2014, 08:14:49 am]

[August 26, 2014, 12:09:16 am]

[August 25, 2014, 06:07:59 pm]

by Chaz
[August 25, 2014, 02:52:13 pm]

[August 25, 2014, 11:46:19 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just upgraded the outdoor receiver, help pair it with some great speakers!  (Read 1953 times)
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:47:29 pm »

this pioneer vsx-821-k is being sold "open box" from newegg.com

heres pioneers' spec sheet: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-821-K

heres the newegg.com sheet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117397R&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3705318&SID=skim1043X499650X53872683fd9b483d08eff4aad3d8cd19

the price is $140 with free shipping (taxs still added) regular price is $329.
the receiver is a 5.1 receiver 125W/channel, 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, 2 component inputs, 5 composite inputs, 1 composite output, has a fron USB drive (capable of reading MP3, AAC, and WMA directly from USB), and 2 assignable optical inputs/outputs.

ok so im more of a video guy. audio aint my bag baby! learn me some audio though!
im firstly wanting to upgrade the front left and right speakers and possibly the center (i dont have one now). the 2 rears can be done at a later time as well as the subwoofer.

the spec sheet at the pioneer site states that it can pump out 125W per channel (1kHz @ 6ohm), as i understand audio, that means i should look for some front left and right speakers that are rated up to 125W right? makes sense.

lets speak in hypotheticals, lets say you just bought this receiver. help me pair it with a great set of front left and right speakers, center, rears, and sub!

Tazman101
Offline Posts: 253

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:27 pm »

Looks like a good receiver and very good for that price.  Overall reviews are good.  Smiley

HDMI switching and 3D capable.

Now, keep in mind that 'most' home speakers are rated at 8ohms, so make sure you look at the power output at 8ohms, not at 6ohms. Usually those power ratings are max power also, so just speakers that will handle at least that amount of power.

For indoor use, I LOVE my Velodyne speakers and sub combo.  I've even been known to pull them out for rear speakers during outdoor movie nights.  Wink

For outdoor front and center speakers, i've been using rock speakers,
6.5" left and right - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/rshide6paros.html

and 8" center - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/8-inch-single-stereo-rock-speaker.html

I was a bit worried about the center, but so far they have worked out great.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:00:13 pm by Tazman101 » Logged
ArniePye
Offline Posts: 88

I can't see through metal, Kent!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:50:56 pm »

tronn4,

More info needed!  To give you considered advice we should know the approximate size of your area and a realistic budget.  What can you spend on phase one (L, R, and maybe center)?  How long until you can swing phase two and what will the budget be for that?   

BTW, be aware that your receiver will not convert video signals (you may not need it to do that).  If the video input is component, it will only output from the component connection.  This is a detail some aren't aware of until it is too late.   

AP
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:07:14 am »

i'll layout a schematic on google sketchup in a bit. for the video signal, im not planning on doing any 3D as this receiver would be for outside only. the only component video output i would have going to the receiver is from the wii, and i have a plethora of component cables laying around. my projector has multiple inputs as well (hdmi, component, composite, vga, and s-video) so i gots the video handled Tongue

without a layout of the area, i can guessimitate i would be willing to swing maybe $200 for the front left and rights. the center i dont want to put too much into but maybe $50? im nowhere near doing this professionally. i did at one time consider getting a B52Matrix 2000 kit but then i seen the price and i paid about $100 less for my projector! Tongue

so i can say im an avid outdoor projectionist/parking lot scholar/gentleman. i just want clean and loud sound.

i'll get the general layout done today

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:40 am »

Looks like a good receiver and very good for that price.  Overall reviews are good.  Smiley

HDMI switching and 3D capable.

Now, keep in mind that 'most' home speakers are rated at 8ohms, so make sure you look at the power output at 8ohms, not at 6ohms. Usually those power ratings are max power also, so just speakers that will handle at least that amount of power.

For indoor use, I LOVE my Velodyne speakers and sub combo.  I've even been known to pull them out for rear speakers during outdoor movie nights.  Wink

For outdoor front and center speakers, i've been using rock speakers,
6.5" left and right - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/rshide6paros.html

and 8" center - http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/8-inch-single-stereo-rock-speaker.html

I was a bit worried about the center, but so far they have worked out great.

the rock speakers, i assume, are at the base of your screen. if so, do you have any sound issue like someone walking in front and the sound goes out? did you consider any speakers mounted about chest height? at $88/pair that looks good! Tongue

Tazman101
Offline Posts: 253

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »

the rock speakers, i assume, are at the base of your screen. if so, do you have any sound issue like someone walking in front and the sound goes out? did you consider any speakers mounted about chest height? at $88/pair that looks good! Tongue

Yes, they are at the base and I haven't noticed any sound issues at all.  Since my receiver is back by the projector, i also add a center channel speaker right at the receiver for rear center fill which helps with the dialog. Smiley

Here is my setup.   

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=6795.0

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: