Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
30 Guests, 2 Users
scotty s, Lincolntech
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 11:33:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blu ray vs. laptop  (Read 2520 times)
mousse
Offline Posts: 492

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 02:35:53 pm »

Played a movie from my laptop for the first time last night.  Didn't seem as crisp as when played from my blu-ray.  Is the laptop resolution different?

Don't judge the motives, just the results.
movieman
Offline Posts: 1470

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 04:37:06 pm »

I HATE laptops! I have seen more schools, business meeting, etc. have more problems with presenting their videos.   It is so easy to put your video on a dvd or blu-ray today.  I HATE laptops.

rg
see you at the movies
Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 582

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »

I LOVE my laptop. After years of faithful service, the screen on my laptop finally bit the dust. I still used it to program my Halloween show last fall, as I can see what's supposed to be going on when I connect it to my projector. It makes everything so simple. Now, a professional, with all the snazzy gear might not like it, but I sure do!

Still, I don't know how I'm going to proceed when the season begins, as I have replaced the laptop with a desk model. I have been thinking of getting the screen fixed instead of buying a dvd player, just because of the ease it affords when putting on a show in the backyard.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:06:36 pm by Oldalgebra » Logged

Tazman101
Offline Posts: 253

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:10 pm »

Played a movie from my laptop for the first time last night.  Didn't seem as crisp as when played from my blu-ray.  Is the laptop resolution different?

It could have been the file you were playing on the laptop.  Even if the file says 'Blu Ray' does not mean it was 1920x1080 ( 1080p ) resolution.

If you used VLC ( or most other players ) you can check the actual resolution for the video file it is playing.

For my setup i don't use a laptop, not because of the resolution but that is because my laptops are all old enough that it won't play a blu ray file without the movie freezing or skipping every once in awhile.  I prefer the blu ray player and discs so i don't have to worry about it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:25:45 pm by Tazman101 » Logged
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:46:33 pm »

playing back a blu-ray or dvd will work without hitch on my ps3. problem that i had with it was i couldnt setup a playlist that included a blu-ray disc or dvd. not a huge problem but after watching trailers, guests would have to sit through some sometimes unskippable movie previews.

also with a ps3, any videos i did have on my home network, i couldnt reliable stream it or if i wanted a copy on the ps3 hard drive, it had to be less than 4GB! most of my files range from 5 to 10GB's! so i would have an extra downgrade conversion step.

with a new htpc i've built, i have reliable blu-ray, dvd, video file, and hard-wired network streaming of music, photos, and netflix as well. i do take an extra step and setup the upcoming events' playlist in both VLC and XBMC and play it through end to end to make sure i dont get something unexpected. also i've adjusted the power settings on the htpc (which can be done on a laptop as well) to not restrict the power to the laptop. turn off all the visual goodies to focus the CPU's power to the task at hand. also the motherboard i have is an Nvidia Ion2. so it technically has a pretty awesome graphics card that can handle blu-ray with ease.

laptops are portable and much more easier to transport around, but i wanted the power of a desktop. also what program did you use to playback the movie?

mousse

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 12:51:43 am »

Tronn,

I played a dvd from netflix on the laptop's disc drive.  I'm not sure exactly what program it opened in.  Thought the" laptop only" show would simplify things.  It worked great for the you tube videos I streamed before the movie.  Once I tried to play the movie it wouldn't play.  I had to finally shut down the computer and restart after several attempts.  Very embarrassing in front of 20 guests waiting on me.  Luckily, enough wine for all took the edge off and prevented me from a total panic attack.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:52 am »

yeah to stream anything from netflix can be a risk. as far as youtube vids, i would just download them before the event and make sure they play beforehand. on a newish laptop, most likely, the dvd would have default opened in windows media player. in most dvd playback software there are video adjustments available, but the default on them is generally ok.

sometimes its just the source material. by size limitations, a DVD can only really put out 480p. lets just say you used the VGA out from the laptop directly to the projector. VGA tends to put out a slightly washed out color if you have never calibrated it. some laptops, when connected to a projector, have video property settings that would enable "VGA Extended Range". each manufacturer calls it different, but basically it gives you deeper blacks and some slightly brighter colors.

i know this from issues i've had with my first gen xbox.

mousse

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 10:52:10 am »

Tronn,

When you say "download the you tube vids", is that the same thing as creating a playlist on youtube.  I still must be online for that playlist to run.

I guess my original question boils down to, with a standard dvd, might it appear crisper/sharper from a blu ray player than from a laptop?  Apples to apples basically.

The failure to launch issue was a whole other problem.

Tazman101

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »

One other suggestion then i'll keep quiet.  Smiley

Some/most Blu Ray players will 'upconvert' a standard DVD to a higher resolution before it is sent out.  As with any upconvert case your mileage may vary but this could also be an explanation for the change in the clarity of the movie on a movie screen vs. a laptop which will not upconvert.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 12:21:57 pm »

Tronn,

When you say "download the you tube vids", is that the same thing as creating a playlist on youtube.  I still must be online for that playlist to run.

I guess my original question boils down to, with a standard dvd, might it appear crisper/sharper from a blu ray player than from a laptop?  Apples to apples basically.

The failure to launch issue was a whole other problem.

taz is correct. a blu-ray player will upconvert a dvd. a ps3 will upconvert a dvd. most newer dvd players will also upconvert. a pc will upconvert depending on the software, so thats a maybe.

and by downloading i mean capturing the video you want and storing it on your laptop before an event. try this when you get a chance: open up your internet browser of choice. in one tab open youtube and find any movie trailer you can think of (press pause to stop it from playing). next open up another tab and go to www.keepvid.com. now back at the youtube tab, copy everything in the address bar by highlighting everything then right-click on the highlighted words and choose copy, go back to the keepvid tab and look for the open bar that says "enter video URL here", right click inside that bar and choose paste, press the download button to the right of that and the web site will search for the video and present you with a couple of options of how you want that video. usually its givien in 3 formats. if the video is available in 720p, you can download at that resolution. if its available up to 1080p, you can download it at that resolution. if you come across a video that is low resolution, just keep searching and you're bound to find a higher quality version.

then you have high res trailers/videos that will work regardless of the internet setup.

nivek
Offline Posts: 178

MOONLIGHT Backyard Theater

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:53 pm »

I guess I'm just not that picky. I've had a 15in TV for years, my first TV being black and white, so anything bigger is better for me. If I can see a picture I am happy. I like my laptop, being a computer major, I can put the main movie on an external hard drive with the rest of my vids, then set up all my files on VLC  from pre-show to main feature, set back and watch.   

Say you have a 52in TV! Try a 9X21', then we'll talk.
Nivek/KCS
mousse

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 01:09:02 am »

I guess I'm just not that picky. I've had a 15in TV for years, my first TV being black and white, so anything bigger is better for me. If I can see a picture I am happy. I like my laptop, being a computer major, I can put the main movie on an external hard drive with the rest of my vids, then set up all my files on VLC  from pre-show to main feature, set back and watch.   
Unfortunately I'm not a computer major and don't have much patience.  I'd love to get something on a one run playlist and be done with it.  Nothing ever seems to be as easy to set up as you guys make it sound. Not even sure what VLC is.

I appreciate that you're happy with most images. I think it's human nature to want more and different.  Some of us more than others.  That's also why many of us constantly upgrade equipment all the time.  I'm usually content with most things but do enjoy a project even if it's meaningless.

nivek
Offline Posts: 178

MOONLIGHT Backyard Theater

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 07:40:38 am »

I hear ya, but when you make only medium wage (which is no ones fault but my own) you have to take what you can get.  VLC is a video player. You can go to http://download.cnet.com/windows/ type in VLC, you can download it for free. It will run most anything, when you can't get a video to run, it will run it.
Also VLC will let you run a one time play list. If you don't like VLC there is a video player called GOM, you can also download it from http://download.cnet.com/windows/ for free.
Oh and I love to upgrade that is why I have been saving for the last 4 years for my new Epson 705hd and my 16' x 9' screen. It has took me 4 years of saving to do it but this year it will happen. I hope.
I am sorry if I made you aggravated, I don't know my manners sometimes. 

Say you have a 52in TV! Try a 9X21', then we'll talk.
Nivek/KCS
Tazman101

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:31:42 am »

Nivek - Great info there with the links. I've used VLC quite a bit and it is amazingly easy and full featured for a free video player.  Also, VLC will allow you to save off a playlist you've built as a file so you can build your playlist the day/night/week before the show and just pull it up the night of the show and play it.

Mousse - one other thought hit me.  Not sure what projector you are using, but most projectors have a max resolution they allow on the VGA plug which is different than the HDMI or Component resolution from a DVD or Blu Ray player( HDMI is usually 1080p resolution of 1920x1080 ).  In my case, the max resolution for the VGA input is 1024x768 which means no matter what video file I run or DVD I play, that is the max resolution to the projector and the max resolution the projector will put on the screen.

Aren't you glad you asked?   Smiley

mousse

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 01:19:42 am »

Nivek,

Thanks so much for the info.  You did not aggravate me at all.  I just get impatient with my learning curve and end up walking away from most things before I figure them out.

Budget wise, there are some very inexpensive screen solutions out there.  I use billboard tarps.  Bought one 48x14 piece for under $100.00 and cut it into four different screen sizes. Even lower lumen basic projectors can be had for a few hundred.  They do the trick just fine.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: