Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
69 Guests, 1 User
FrostyFreeze
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2014, 11:11:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 03:53:38 pm]

[Today at 01:47:47 am]

[Yesterday at 05:02:08 pm]

[July 25, 2014, 06:35:15 pm]

[July 25, 2014, 05:04:54 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 10:50:06 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 08:43:44 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 01:37:48 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 09:40:10 am]

[July 23, 2014, 01:43:00 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to set up a large mattress style screen?  (Read 3110 times)
MOOVman
Offline Posts: 34

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:42 am »

just bought a large mattress style screen and could use some advice on blowing it up...and tying  it down.

We have two tripod style now..so those rest on the back legs...but how about the mattress style...it has no legs...

we tried a few times and it blew over..and over...so those of you who have one..is there  video on how do this correctly?

do you tie it down first and then blow it up?

it seems like a huge sail compared to the tripod style...

all advice is welcome

BTW...its 27x14

Thank you
movieman
Offline Posts: 1457

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 07:12:04 am »

What make is it?   Did it come with intructions?  How many guide line came with it. Most have 4 on the bottom and 4 on the top.
Open it up and Lay it out.  Facing the front of the screen bring two guide lines from the bottom (one each side) out on an angle and stake down. Do the same with the rear two. Bring two of the top to the same front stakes and the same to the rear. The bottom lines can be fairly tight. The top should have play to allow the screen to inflate. The screen may need some help up. Once up secure all lines. The blower may also need to be staked down. Its very simple and easy to do.
DO NOT FORGET THE TARP.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:14:04 am by movieman » Logged

rg
see you at the movies
MOOVman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:13:03 am »

Thank you...so you say lay it out all the way first and tie the bottom down?  I have seen some videos and they seem to show the screen folded in half not totally spread out -

I do like the idea of anchoring the bottom as the bottom wants to move alot as we pull up the screen --

Also..how do you anchor this to the ground?  And do you use ropes or ratchet pulleys

Does anyone have more ideas or a video  they can show of this process?
Chaz
Offline Posts: 313

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:17:26 am »

On our 50 footer we role it all out and leave it folded in half, clam shape, then from each corner go out 30' then over 15' same for the back stakes using the same corner as the fronts. tie the bottoms to all 4 stakes tight, then for the tops 2.5 arm lengths, both arms stretched out and tie them. kick on the blowers and let it inflate and stand on its own. go around and tighted everything down once its up and straight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/osa_FpqK1EU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/osa_FpqK1EU</a>

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse. Making lifelong magical memories!
STLmovieguy
Offline Posts: 230

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

I have an OAC 16 ft screen, I blow it up laying on the ground, then flip it up, have someone hold it upright until I place the straps from the top,each side , front and back, angled out about 30 -45 degrees, then mine has straps on the bottom, front and back on each side and I hook those to the same stakes as the top straps. Had it up in a 15 mph wind before never moved.  BTW I don't use a tarp, mine always sits in grass.
MOOVman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:54:57 am »

Thank you for your responses ---do you use ROPEs  or ratched tethers?  With the 50' model especially, how do you fasten it?

movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 02:30:57 pm »

i would love to have a 50' screen. that would almost entice me enough to get back into this again  Grin

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
MOOVman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:21 pm »

and you gave up the biz?  why?
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 04:26:22 pm »

yes, i gave it up but not by choice though.

here is the short version why, below is the link to the longer version.
i got sick almost 2 years ago, had to have two major operations in 4.5 months and developed nerve damage in my right hand after the first operation and then developed nerve damage in my left hand after the second operation and the right hand then became severe nerve damage.

after all was said and done i have continual shoulder pain, can't use my hands for fine manipulation and lost muscle mass in both hands, plus elbow pain in the left elbow, left leg doesn't feel like it wants to move forward at times.

i owned a small food business and showed old "classic" movies on the weekends. i was open 6 days a week and just can't do it like i used to.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=6082.0

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
movieman
Offline Posts: 1457

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

moovman,  Where did you buy the screen.  web site please.

rg
see you at the movies
genesis76
Offline Posts: 2853

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »

On our 50 footer we role it all out and leave it folded in half, clam shape, then from each corner go out 30' then over 15' same for the back stakes using the same corner as the fronts. tie the bottoms to all 4 stakes tight, then for the tops 2.5 arm lengths, both arms stretched out and tie them. kick on the blowers and let it inflate and stand on its own. go around and tighted everything down once its up and straight.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/osa_FpqK1EU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/osa_FpqK1EU</a>

A 50 foot screen.......do you have a family member that is an Astronaut? Cheesy
swamp
Offline Posts: 64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:58:45 pm »

MOOVman,

Did you figure it out? I was also thinking about a mattress style screen but kind of hesistant, since I am usually setting up by myself.

I am guessing with that size screen, 2 people would be required.

What projector are you using for that big screen?

Thanks
Swamp

cdepaola
Offline Posts: 879

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »

MOOVman,

Did you figure it out? I was also thinking about a mattress style screen but kind of hesistant, since I am usually setting up by myself.

I am guessing with that size screen, 2 people would be required.

What projector are you using for that big screen?

Thanks
Swamp

I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd add that you should't be hesitant about using a mattress style screen if setting it up yourself.  I regularly set-up mattress style screens ranging in size from 16' to 30' by myself without issue.

rich92069
Offline Posts: 1247

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 09:33:23 pm »

like anything.. do it enough times and it becomes easy. No matter style or manufacturer when you get into big screens the hardest part about it is rolling them up in the am hours imho.

moonlightflix
Offline Posts: 56

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 01:02:34 am »

Chaz,

Thanks for posting your video. Looking forward to testing out your method. Smooth.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: