Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
59 Guests, 1 User
Philphine
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 05:17:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 05:04:54 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:50:06 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:43:44 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:37:48 pm]

[Yesterday at 09:40:10 am]

[July 23, 2014, 01:43:00 pm]

[July 23, 2014, 10:19:23 am]

[July 22, 2014, 06:43:12 pm]

[July 22, 2014, 05:42:22 pm]

[July 22, 2014, 02:31:51 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for streaming advice...  (Read 1959 times)
wantvws
Offline Posts: 67

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:11:05 pm »

I'm looking at dumping Dish Network, not because I'm unhappy with the service (I've been with them for almost 15 years) but just to save a little $$$ each month. I'm sure that everything we watch is available online so now I'm looking at a streaming box thing and going with Netflix and possibly Hulu-Plus. The Roku looks like what I want.... but there is so much information on streaming video that it's like drinking from a fire hose. I have a Samsung Bluray player that is Netflix and Hulu-Plus ready, but it's not wireless.  The main TV and the projector are both 720p, I have DSL service and I get about 3.6- 4.4 mbps download, and use a wireless router. Is there a difference in using a wired and a wifi connection? Is my internet fast enough to get decent quality video? We've never had HD service so I guess we have been watching TV in 480.
What are you guys using for streaming video? Ideally I would like to be able to use wifi and take it to the front yard occasionally.
Is there a player or streaming device that I can go directly to a website (say, CBS) and watch online?
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Robbie
lueyh
Offline Posts: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:22 am »

laptop with tv hookups? I stream netflix using my nintendo wii. but have also watched hulu using my lapot connected to a tv.

Garp
Offline Posts: 366

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05:14 pm »

I have a wireless Roku and though I've never hooked it up to my projector, I'm sure it would look good. I sometimes hook up the Wii, just as it's more conveniently located, but it's more pixellated for me than the Roku.

Roku has a number of channels that will stream content (notably Netflix and Hulu Plus - NOT the same as Hulu online, although similar). If you are computer savvy, you could rig up the Roku to play CBS, for example, through one of the private Roku channels (see this forum - http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=472e986f4c92f26c7dada358abb7cda1 - for more details), but unless you wanted to do that regularly, it would be easier to just hook up your laptop when needed.

I think the new high end Roku 2's have both wired and wireless capability. Wired is more stable, obviously, if you are worried about that, and would be fine for usual TV watching. Saying that, I haven't had any issues with wireless since I upped our internet connection. I think we have At&T DSL Elite, which states a speed of 6 Mbps, and is fine for SD content. Don't have a HD TV and rarely use my 720p projector for streaming, so I can't say what would be needed if you want to go that route.
everette
Offline Posts: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:53 pm »

I just recently did the same and dumped Dish to save some cash. I installed XBMC 11.0 (Eden) on my laptop, which has HDMI output. It is fairly simple to set up and I can play my entire movie collection. I have all of my DVD's backed up on an external hard drive and you can set the directory in XBMC to the folder where all of your content is stored. It also has a lot of "Add ons" in which you can stream TV and movies over the internet but I am not sure which of these are legal and which are not.

There is also a smartphone app to control XBMC over your LAN as a remote. Pretty neat! I am sure others here have more experience with this software.

wantvws

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:09 pm »

We have a Wii, Xbox and PS3 in the gameroom but they stay up there for the most part. I'm thinking a combination of the Roku and my laptop is the way to go for downstairs. I hope the download speed is fast enough to stream at a decent quality. We don't have any HD channels with Dish, so if I can get comparable quality to what I have now I'll be happy. If I have to up my DSL speed I will... it will still be cheaper.
thanks!
Robbie
wantvws

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »

So I ended up not getting the Roku (yet...) and buying this last weekend:
http://store.sony.com/p/Blu-ray-Disc-Streaming-Player/en/p/BDPS390
I found it at Walmart for $88, so I decided to try it. It was a big shuffle of bluray/DVD players. This one replaced the bluray in the living room, that bluray player replaced the DVD player for the indoor theater, and that DVD player will replace the old crappy one I used for the BYT.
We still may get a Roku and use it in another room.
Robbie

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: