Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
53 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 12:55:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 10:28:54 am]

[Today at 10:00:39 am]

[Yesterday at 01:52:21 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]

[October 14, 2014, 09:07:45 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 09:05:49 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 02:36:24 pm]

[October 11, 2014, 01:26:30 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget AV Receivers: What do you have? Where did you get it?  (Read 7967 times)
MNHTUG
Offline Posts: 28

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:48:10 am »

Must of us have older equipment laying around that is likely the best way to go for BYT. I sold all my old equipment a few years ago and have been using some Altec Lansing computer speakers for audio. I decided to take the plunge and buy something dedicated to BYT use. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money so I hit Craigslist, then the pawn shop, then eBay. After some searching, I found the best deals to be factory refurbished receivers. These online resources were not easy for me to find but since I found them, I thought it would be best to share. Things came together during my search when I found "Slickdeals" and started looking at past "Hot Deals" for home audio receivers. I would recommend starting there first because each of these vendors often has a coupon code that will get you a better deal.

DEAL SITES FOR HOME AUDIO RECEIVERS:
Slickdeals: Receiver Search
Accessories4Less: Stereo Receivers
Electronics-Expo: Home Audio Receivers
Newegg: Home Audio Receivers - Refurbished - Open Box
Macmall: Home Audio

So after all that, this wouldn't be a good thread unless I shared what I have. I purchased an open box Yamaha RX-V373 from Newegg last night for $165 shipped. My goal was less than $150, and they had the Yamaha RX-V371 for $135 shipped but I thought the 373 had a few more features worth the extra $30.

Yamaha RX-V373:

Steven Benson
Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG)
Facebook | YahooGroup | Email
FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 414

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »

That is a sweet receiver for a sweet price!

When I'm outside by myself (most of the time), I use wireless headphones. That way I can rock out as loud as I want and I dont have to mess with any more cables than I have to.

When I have friends over, usually Underdogg66 [/shoutout], I use the aux input on my Griffin Amplifi iPod dock:

I know it looks puny, but the sound out of that thing is BEEFY and deceptively rich & bass-heavy for something so small. You'll just have to trust me Smiley

I have a pretty tiny SoCal backyard and my whole setup is right outside my 4-year old daughter's bedroom AND about 10 feet from my neighbor's bedroom, so I cant get too carried away. I've toyed with the idea of dusting off my old Onkyo TX-8522 receiver (I paid $99 in 2008) and installing outdoor speakers on the overhang of my roof, but only using them during the 6 months out of the year when it gets dark by 5pm. Like I said, your receiver is sweet AND cheap so I'm getting pretty tempted!

Underdog66
Offline Posts: 303

'Cause cuttin the roof off my den would be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:40:10 am »

Hey Frosty, although we never really crank that puppy up for BYT, I remember proving the "beefyness" of your Griffin speakers while we were making our screens. Grin

Infinity Backyard Motion Pictures
jjp735i
Offline Posts: 35

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 05:55:50 am »

I won a Yamaha 373 last year and use it for my home theater inside and moved my old Yamaha 485 to outside.  You'll be very please with the sound. Give it some time to open up and it really packs a punch for movie sound tracks.
I'm very happy with mine. Nice find on price.

tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:28:14 am »

i had bought a pioneer vsk-821-k from newegg last year for roughly $150 if i recall correctly. was labeled as a "floor model" but newegg doesnt have a retail location so i took a chance. the box it came in was "scruffy lookin" (and a nerf herder) but it was the original box with the original box contents. no visible damage on anything. every mode and input works perfect.

Glen
Offline Posts: 232

Showtime at the Multiplex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:13:05 am »

I own both the V-371 and V-373 and love them both.  The 371 powers the basement theatre while the 373 is assigned to outdoor duty.  These units are a masterpiece in simplicity.  They don't confuse you with 30 pages of features you'll never use and won't require a masters degree to operate.  What you get is a 500 watt punch of crystal clear movie sound track that will knock the peanuts out of your m&m's.  The audio reproduction from these amps is an absolute treasure.  Yamaha wrote the book on user friendly, as both of these are extremely easy to set up and operate.  You won't get either of these two in a 7.1 set up as they are only available in 5.1.  But, they sound so incredibly good you won't even care!  Purchase either of these and you'll be using your Sony receiver as a wheel chock in no time!

* IMG_0529.JPG (1542.06 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 144 times.)

* IMG_0208.JPG (1872.63 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 191 times.)

Hug yer little ones each and every day...
mharris2007
Offline Posts: 26

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »

My backyard has been under construction for about 3 months now.  It's about 5500 sq/ft.  I ran 12 sticks of conduit all over the place for 7.2 surround, plus 3 other listening zones with two speakers each.  The Pioneer SC 1522K was on sale at Costco for $599 from $1300, so I snagged one of those for my indoor space, and will be moving my onkyo TXSR 616 to do the outdoor duty.  It is 7.2 surround but lacks preamps for any of the surround sound speakers so I hope that it is up to the task of filling the space.  The 7 speakers I will be using are the OSD RS800's placed all along the side and back walls and along the back of the house for rear surrounds.  I picked up the Onkyo 616 about 6 months ago for about $349 or so.  No problems with it as of yet.  I'm also in the process of running some Cat6 through a wall and to a piece of conduit to be ran to the bbq where all my components are housed. I'll try to post some pics if anyone's interested.
STLmovieguy
Offline Posts: 230

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

Technical Pro
Model: RX113
Description: Receiver with Built in Equalizer
Color: Black
   1500 watts peak power
   FM manual tuner
   5.1 channel home theater
   Inputs: RCA (2 stereo audio sources, 5.1 ch)
   iPod / MP3 input with cable
   Outputs: Banana binding post (2 speakers), Push button (surround sound speakers),     RCA (1 record line, 2 mono to subwoofer)
   Dual mic inputs with volume, echo, bass and treble controls
   Fluorescent spectrum display
   Dual 10 band equalizer with individual LED indicators
   Cooling speed fan
   Removable rack-mount brackets
   Remote control included
   Dimensions: 19'' w x 4.75'' h 12.25'' d
   Weight : 15 lbs
   110V / 220V
   MSRP: $199.00
dewey
Offline Posts: 92

Backyard parties!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:37:16 pm »

Must of us have older equipment laying around that is likely the best way to go for BYT. I sold all my old equipment a few years ago and have been using some Altec Lansing computer speakers for audio. I decided to take the plunge and buy something dedicated to BYT use. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money so I hit Craigslist, then the pawn shop, then eBay. After some searching, I found the best deals to be factory refurbished receivers. These online resources were not easy for me to find but since I found them, I thought it would be best to share. Things came together during my search when I found "Slickdeals" and started looking at past "Hot Deals" for home audio receivers. I would recommend starting there first because each of these vendors often has a coupon code that will get you a better deal.

DEAL SITES FOR HOME AUDIO RECEIVERS:
Slickdeals: Receiver Search
Accessories4Less: Stereo Receivers
Electronics-Expo: Home Audio Receivers
Newegg: Home Audio Receivers - Refurbished - Open Box
Macmall: Home Audio

So after all that, this wouldn't be a good thread unless I shared what I have. I purchased an open box Yamaha RX-V373 from Newegg last night for $165 shipped. My goal was less than $150, and they had the Yamaha RX-V371 for $135 shipped but I thought the 373 had a few more features worth the extra $30.

Yamaha RX-V373:

Wowwww, that's about the best looking Reciever I've ever seen!  Your gonna get me in trouble!!!!

Drive-in's rule!
dewey
Offline Posts: 92

Backyard parties!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:47 pm »

I use a old pioneer Reciever I've had for over 20 years.   Still looks and works like a new one
You really don't need much.  Don't waste a whole lots of money...yet!!!

Drive-in's rule!
l33tDad
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 08:54:25 am »

We used to use an old Nikko receiver from the 70's which was big and heavy but put out some serious wattage however when we fired up the BYT this season (live in NY) it was acting like the caps were going bad. A few days later I found a nice Technics 5.1 Dolby Surround receiver from probably the early 90's at the Goodwill for 25 bucks. Works like a dream and now we have surround sound for those scary movies outside!
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 10:46:28 pm »

had a yamaha something-or-other open box model from newegg.com for about $160 for the past 2 1/2 years. stopped working last summer and temp stopped my byt'ing. a series of unfortunate events occured which left me inclined to not buy a new receiver until last week actually. its an Onkyo TX-SR313. got from Frys (retail) for $165. meant to byt this past friday and sat but it got cold here. like 60! BRRRRR!

http://www.frys.com/product/7016191?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

truly hope that my xbox 360 will work through hdmi on this one. for some reason the Yami wasnt able to.

movieman
Offline Posts: 1469

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:14 am »

Come on----- 60 is not COLD

Mounds of snow and in the teens is COLD

rg
see you at the movies
FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 414

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:17:02 pm »

Will it do HDMI-IN to Component-OUT or vice/versa ??

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 06:27:22 pm »

i'll have to read the manual (which i havent) but for this cheap of a price i dont think it has an on-board video card

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: