Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
67 Guests, 1 User
KingPin
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:19:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tronn Theater Marquee Build  (Read 10631 times)
FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 416

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »

Oh yeah! I forgot about those. The ones I bought were $10 per strand, but I think they're too short for your purposes. They have longer strands now too but I forget how much they were.

That's why you need to come out with us next month, son!!!!!! Thanksgiving Saturday is the next one.

pistolero56
Offline Posts: 313

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:17 am »

those are awesome lights tronn. hope you find them and they work out for you. i would have gone with those too if i knew they existed, should have asked you guys...

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:14 am »

you can always upgrade! lol. the pics i posted are mearly for reference. if the LED strips are too expensive, then i'll just stick with some cheap-o LED xmas lights.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:20:15 am »

update 11/5/12

bought 2 2x8's, 1 thin something with plastic mixed into it to use as the backboard area,

box design:

instead of slightly more expensive plywood (and more heavier) i found this alternative material for the backboard. its quite flimsy and feels like plastic, it cuts easy with a box cutter and one face is white in color and it was $5 for a huge sheet. i think it was 7'x4'. the original "heft" i was looking for is now coming from the 2'x8's. still feels quite sturdy.

cuts time!

assembly:

that white backboard material. as i mentioned it cuts easily with a box cutter.

nailin the backboard material was like nailin the backside of an IKEA furniture.

completed last night:

turns out i have misplaced the glue gun i was planning on using to glue the wrinkled up aluminum foil to the backboard. so i began to clean out the garage in hopes of finding it. still havent found it and also refuse to buy another glue gun. the search continues.

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 582

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 10:59:28 am »

turns out i have misplaced the glue gun i was planning on using to glue the wrinkled up aluminum foil to the backboard. so i began to clean out the garage in hopes of finding it. still havent found it and also refuse to buy another glue gun. the search continues.

Oh, boy, can I appreciate that!
When I die and (hopefully) go to heaven, God is going to usher me into a completely furnished workshop, with EVERYTHING IN ITS PLACE.

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:56:25 am »

your moving along quickly, looking good. there's a marquee waiting for you when your ready bud.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 11:39:28 pm »

No update on the missing glue gun lol.

Had some time to pass so I made a new Facebook page picture based on the marquee design

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 582

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:46 pm »

Nice. Very nice!

FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 416

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »

No update on the missing glue gun lol.

Just buy a damn glue gun already.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 05:00:02 pm »

^lol. i'll give it ONE more try! if i dont find it tonight then i'll for sure stop by tomorrow and get a new one.

im considering spray painting the inside a shiny metallic aluminum looking thing. need to get 2 heavy duty picture wall hangers as well and attach them tonight.

pistolero56

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 07:33:30 pm »

im considering spray painting the inside a shiny metallic aluminum looking thing.

i spray painted the inside with "chrome/metallic paint, and to be honest, i didn't notice much difference. originally i went to michaels to check out reflective paper but was to expensive and came in small sheets.

how about spraying adhesive then laying down aluminum foil with the more reflective side up?   

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

k so i broke down and bought another dang glue gun! $5 at home depot for the small "crafts" version btw. another $5 for a 25 pack of glue sticks.

the pre-existing frame and this insulating/reflecting material we had left-over from installing our floors. i was planning on building a dog "house" out of it but this project had priority!

close up of the material. the bottom is the white part and looks like very thin foam. top is much thinner aluminum foil

the entire gluing down was a pain in the neck. i did plan on regular aluminum foil to cover the bottom but turns out we ran out of it beforehand.  i should have looked for a spray-on adhesive. would have been done in 5 minutes rather than 40.

---------------------------------------------

light tryouts edition 1!

the lights i had in mind:

the results:

i was not impressed. thats 3 strands and still pretty weak.

next competitor: some lights i had laying around:

in this pic they are the bunch of lights at the bottom. brighter but not apparently so in person.

final  contestant for the night: our house christmas lights!

much better brightness but they're encased in a plastic "icicle" housing. in other words they're directed in one direction and its not the right way. i could break off the icicle and perhaps then it'd be bright enough but that'd ruin these pretty expensive lights.

--------------------------------------------------

so glued on shiny material. failed to find decent lighting. will be looking for more lighting options this week. will look into those LED light strands that are the LED's themselves.

everette
Offline Posts: 77

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »

Tronn, IMHO the LED Christmas lights will be the way to go. Other LED fixtures are out there but are really pricey.

I was thinking, if you can find a few strands with white wire, that would help out by not absorbing any light like the green wire type do. It might also be helpful to direct the diodes towards where the poster will be. See below

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 12:26:21 am »

^that would work! what type of material though? some kind of rigid foam?

everette
Offline Posts: 77

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 12:33:23 am »

Yes possibly. Or just thin plywood with A LOT of holes drilled. You could hot glue each diode in with your shiny new $5 glue gun  Grin

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: