Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
93 Guests, 2 Users
cecilb, ActionJax
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 02:35:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:04:38 pm]

[Today at 11:38:14 am]

[Yesterday at 09:13:32 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:08:36 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:43:23 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 07:26:36 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 07:25:24 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 12:33:44 am]

[July 28, 2014, 12:21:20 am]

[July 27, 2014, 01:47:47 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tronn Theater Marquee Build  (Read 9650 times)
Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 564

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 05:52:10 am »

How about using foam board for the layer Everette suggests?

tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 09:02:46 am »

scoured the AVS thread and these are the LED lights the guy uses:

the ebay listing

closer look of his setup:

looks like this guy just glued each strip down on top of his substrate. the ebay price is $8 for a roll of 5 meter. thats about 15 feet?

movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 10:00:19 am »

they are most likely 12 volts, but i don't see a transformer listed in the Ebay description.

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 11:11:58 am »

i believe he mentions in the avs thread that current draw is about .5 amps per 3 meter strand. him using 4 strands would equate to about 12V 2A adapter. i have tons of extra adapters, if not there is always Frys

Sparge
Offline Posts: 2830

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:00 am »

How about using foam board for the layer Everette suggests?

That's what I was thinking.  I used foam board for an LED project some time ago.  I lit a poster board rendition of the starship Enterprise NCC-1701D.  Foam board is used to dry mount posters.  Check craft stores like Michael's.  Ours used to dry mount posters and sold the foam board outright as well.

-Sparge-
binger
Offline Posts: 136

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »

If you need a board with a lot of Holes, why not buy a sheet of pegboard?  That way the holes are all there already.
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »

^good idea! as i've mentioned before i had a lot of leftover material from the backboard material. cut down a small section and marked 1" x 1" squares.

drilled holes

inserted the brightest white LED strand through the back

front shot:

inside the built frame. the "rats nest" of wiring is not too cool. it pushed the LEDs much more forward to where the diffuser material would be. it would effectively negate the diffusing properties.

with this "proof of theory" work, i'm further convinced using those surface mounted super bright LED's are now the solution i seek. i will try to locate a ready and available local source for them now.

everette
Offline Posts: 76

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:48 pm »

You are right tronn. At this point I believe the flat led strip will be the best solution. This would probably work but would be extra heavy due to all the wire. It also looks pretty time consuming.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:59 pm »

My right arm looks like one of Popeyes due to all that drillin! lol

I've called a few electrical contractors' stores in the area and will stop by one on the way home. I've heard that they may sell these at this local HAM Operators swap meet that happens once a month. However this month it'll happen right after thanksgiving. So maybe the vendor will not be there.

FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 407

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »

My right arm looks like one of Popeyes due to all that drillin! lol

I've called a few electrical contractors' stores in the area and will stop by one on the way home. I've heard that they may sell these at this local HAM Operators swap meet that happens once a month. However this month it'll happen right after thanksgiving. So maybe the vendor will not be there.

I've been going to that swapmeet for a couple years now. They SAY that the swapmeet runs every last Saturday of the month, rain or shine, holidays, etc. I keep telling myself to see if it's true but holidays make me very lazy. Also, I am generally very lazy.

The peticular vendor that sells the LED strips is always there when I go, but again, I've never tried on a holiday.

FYI: He also sells all other sorts of other LED fixtures and bulbs. I've got a bunch already installed in my van interior. You are welcome to come by my job to check out their brightness if you wish.

48Dodge
Offline Posts: 26

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

A little late for this idea, but I was thinking since you switched to a 16:9 format, you could build it around a cheap monitor or tv.  A lot have usb drives built in and will run slide shows or have a single picture up, making it easy to change.  Or you could hook it up to an outside source. 
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 04:44:53 pm »

lol. i have a 22" LCD monitor i could use but it would be super small! i like the thought though. it would be awesome to have slideshow and videos and stuff on that screen. a future thought would be to strip down 2 other monitors i have of their bezels, put them together and link them to 1 small pc using them as a dual monitor system.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 05:18:48 pm »

^thought about it... i have another 20" monitor i've removed the bezel off of from when i attempted to build a table-top arcade system. that project was shelved in the beginning stages due to me getting my BYT setup last year. i just came across it (the de-bezelled monitor) yesterday. i have some scrap pieces of wood left over so i'll assemble something that'll look like a digital marquee.

back to the tronn theater marquee build... i've finally purchased the lights from the ebay vendor Pitalam. listing here

each strand came out to $7.99. each strand is 3 meters. roughly 15' of super bright LED's. ordered 4! now i need to dig through my "electronics pile" for some power supplies i can use to power these! the vendor is in china. delivery will be somewhere between dec 19 through the first of january :/

pistolero56
Offline Posts: 307

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 07:51:21 pm »

Tronn, i saw the same lights you purchased in downtown L.A. and thought about telling you about the place, they were about 12 bux a roll. i didnt tell you cause the place is as "getto" as it can get. the deals there are amazing though.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »

Lol. We're they in "el callejon"? 

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: