Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
69 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:13:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:21:23 pm]

[Today at 07:03:26 am]

[Yesterday at 06:46:54 pm]

[Yesterday at 05:05:43 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:53:33 am]

[April 21, 2014, 11:11:30 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 04:50:46 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 11:59:52 am]

[April 20, 2014, 05:50:34 pm]

[April 20, 2014, 03:18:45 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdoor Speaker Selection  (Read 4854 times)
Towndrunk
Offline Posts: 129

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:25:08 pm »

I'm in the process of building a new house and with the design we are building I will be in the position where I can have all of my equipment inside, and just run power and HDMI to the projector.  I would also like to permanently mount my speakers and leave them outside, possibly bringing them in for the winter.  Winters can be a little harsh here in Ohio sometimes.

I was just wondering if there were any speakers that I can mount outside that will provide enough coverage throughout the viewing area.  I would like to possibly get a nice subwoofer as well.  I think I could use this for audio in the backyard for daily use as well as movies.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Right now I am using an old set of speakers that I had back in high school.  I wont say how old that makes them. . .
Underdog66
Offline Posts: 301

'Cause cuttin the roof off my den would be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:38 am »

Hey Town, how large is your viewing area?  Will the speakers be mounted to a pergola, the house, a pole?  Just wondering. Grin

Infinity Backyard Motion Pictures
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:15:17 am »

This is the house we have picked out. http://www.monsterhouseplans.com/images_plans/12-611m.gif  We are planning on putting all of the equipment in the Garage/Work Shop and have the screen on the outside wall of that same area for support.  We would like to mount our speaker either on that wall, or in some other fashion.

If possible I would like to put some speakers on the Patio area as well. . . maybe for movies, but more so for just listening to music.  I'm no audiophile, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for some decent outdoor speakers.  I don't know if I should go with Omni like these http://www.amazon.com/250-WATT-OUTDOOR-OMNI-DIRECTIONAL-SUBWOOFER-Category/dp/B004MNU9WU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1352117389&sr=8-5&keywords=omni+outdoor+speakers
or if something like this would be better. http://www.amazon.com/TIC-CORPORATION-TFS25-WG-200-WATT-OMNI-DIRECTIONAL/dp/B00589OB8A/ref=sr_1_7?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1352117547&sr=1-7&keywords=rock+outdoor+speakers

I've also looked at what they call "patio" speakers, but I know it's hard to buy speakers without hearing them so I came here for advice.  Sorry if this was to much information.
weedwacker
Offline Posts: 22

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

Nice house plan.

As far as outdoor speakers I have the bose in black that I have hooked up wirelessly to my Bose Lifestyle that is in my upstairs knock around room. They have excellent sound quality and you can actually hook them up to any receiver that you would like, not just the Bose products. This is the third set I have owned as every time I have moved I just left them installed in the old house and buy new ones for the new house. I have lived in Ohio (right on Lake Erie), Miami, FL, and now in GA. They have never given me any problems and I left them up year round. I prefer the black as the white ones will eventually turn yellow after a time outside. It all depends on how much direct light they get and the air quality.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 05:13:13 pm by weedwacker » Logged
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

You have a Bose set that you hooked up Outdoors?  I wasn't aware that Bose made an Outdoor set.  Do you happen to know the model so I could look at them online?  They are able to provide enough sound to fill the area?  I would like to have them up all year from spring until winter.  If they work as you say they will, I would be extremely interested.

If you don't mind, where did you live in Ohio that was right on Lake Erie?  I live about 10 minutes from the Lake myself, so I was just curious.
weedwacker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 09:18:13 pm »

I was born in Cleveland and graduated high school in Port Clinton. I have lived along the lake in one form another most of my formative years.

As far as the speakers I use these outside hooked up wireless as I said. They are not what I am using for my BYT though. I have a 5 y/o Yamaha receiver that I no longer used inside and some Cerwin Vega speakers and Sub that were hooked up to it that I drag out every time.
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/outdoor_marine_speakers/251_speakers/index.jsp

The wireless unit that is hooked up is this through my Lifestyle.
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/accessories/expansion/al8.jsp&color=bl&color=bl

They also have in/on ground speakers but I have not personally used them. I have heard good things about them though.
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/outdoor_marine_speakers/freespace_51/index.jsp
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »

I was born in Cleveland and graduated high school in Port Clinton. I have lived along the lake in one form another most of my formative years.

Very familiar with Port Clinton, it is where I work.  I live in Oak Harbor though.  I've been here for about 7 years after moving in from California.

I have been using and old Onkyo receiver and some Cerwin Vega speakers as well as some old speakers from my father-in-law.  I would just like to have something where I can just hook up the projector and be good.  I'm tired of carrying out the speakers, receiver, laptop, table, etc. . . then hope it doesn't start to rain so I have to rush and pack it all up.

I think the Bose speakers would be nice for patio listening, but I'm not sure if they would have the sound I'm looking for while using the BYT setup.  At least I have some time to do some research before we get the house done.  Thanks.
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 682

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »

There are lots of choices for outdoor speakers - it really comes down to budget.

For my money I'd look into a pair of ElectroVoice EVID 4.2 or 6.2's

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »

I feel like this is a never ending search.  I have been looking for outdoor speakers all over the place, and can't seem to find any that I feel comfortable purchasing.  Either they are way to expensive, or I don't think that they will do the job I need them to do.

I just had a chat session with BH Photo, where I have bought things from in the past, and they had two recommendations. . . Both of which are a little on the higher side.

Yamaha Speakers for the left and right, then the Sub Woofer would handle everything else.

I know that $2,000 or so is A LOT, but I may be able to swing it with the wife since we can use it to play music in the back yard for BBQ and family gatherings.  I just wanted to see what you guys thought, or if anyone had any other suggestions.

I have been looking at the Electro Voice speakers as well.  Trying to get some reviews on them, but I can't seem to find much.  I see that they are being used as PA speakers, but not other audio sources.  I need to do some more research.  I can see paying $400-$500 for Left and Right speakers, but the price one the above Sub is a little to much for me right now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:09:46 pm by Towndrunk » Logged
Philphine
Offline Posts: 113

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:15:39 pm »

the listed price is double what i paid for mine, but i've had two of these marcato sets on my deck since 2008. subs mounted bettween the joists of my deck and satellites mounted on various posts and stands. never take them in, and most winters haven't covered the satellites. they're not real loud (consider though, that i've never used more than a bookshelf stereo system to power them either), but i'm really happy with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marcato-Audio-Luminary-Set-Subwoofer-NIB-POOL-LIGHTS-SUB-AND-SPEAKERS-/300742650449?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item4605a8aa51

if i had some extra cash, and these were a good bit less, i'd buy them for spares.
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 682

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »

Not sure where you're looking but I can get the EVID 6.2 for under $400 a pair all day long...

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:53:34 pm »

Not sure where you're looking but I can get the EVID 6.2 for under $400 a pair all day long...

Where are you shopping?  I have only looked a few places online just to get an idea, and they are all about $450-90.  These are the big name sites though, so maybe a little more searching on my part can get me a cheaper price.

These are speakers that you feel comfortable leaving up outdoors?  All of the reviews so far have nothing but goo things to say about them.  $400 is within my budget. . . It just means that  I get to spend more on a sub once I find one that I like.
chalk40

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:19 am »

Just saw your post & would 100% echo Joe's comments on Evid 6.2 and Evid 4.2, they are super robust units capable of taking a beating.

We asked the same question as you a year or maybe more back. We followed Joe's advice and sourced 5 x 6.2's and 2 x 4.2's but could not find a 12.1 at the right price. Have used 2 x B&W 800ASW's and although they need wheeling in as they are not waterproof, the system is very well balanced & packs a proper punch for an outdoor 7.1/7.2 system.

Honestly speaking I'd not heard of Evid over here in the UK but followed Joe's advice anyway. I doubt you would better this approach but find a couple of 12.1's over the B&W's weather wise.

And for convenience add a Sub cast wireless Sub connector. I don't have this year...this year we will, but I'm told they work surprisingly well.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:47:29 pm »

I have been reading a lot on the Electro Voice speakers off and on.  Do these have any bass to them without the 12.1?  I have been thinking that I could just get three 6.2 speakers (left, center, right) and a 12.1.  This is something that I could leave outside all year?

Even if I brought it in at the end of fall, I just don't want to have to worry about rain really.  I'm trying to find anywhere close by that I could possibly demo these to get an idea of what they sound like.
Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 04:08:33 pm »

I just talked to someone and they said that these are weather resistant.  So they are OK outside as long as you have them under and overhang or covered patio.  They can not be directly out in the elements.

I can't seem to find anything, that is going to sound decent, that I can keep outdoors on a consistent basis.  I will continue to look, and use my old home speakers for now.  They will get me by, but I was looking for something that will aid me in my future setup and take down.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: