Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
65 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:09:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:00:39 am]

[October 19, 2014, 01:52:21 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]

[October 14, 2014, 09:07:45 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 09:05:49 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 02:36:24 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing backyard Bonnie Doon  (Read 8105 times)
pistolero56
Offline Posts: 312

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:10 pm »

Glad you liked the setup, it gives alot of enjoyment. Our seasons in full swing here but I imagine it's the opposite your end.

yea, its been raining here and in the low 60s, which is not bad but still scare guests away.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 07:52:36 am »

Nice work, Steve! Thanks for sharing. Have a great season and please keep us posted.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

fastbilly1
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:04:55 pm »

Great setup and great name.  The Castle is an awesome film.  I highly recommend their second film, The Dish, a true story about what happened in Australia during the moon landing staring Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton - and yes its a comedy in the same style of The Castle. 

Steve302
Offline Posts: 65

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »

Our weather this summer has fluctuated between roasting hot  to torrential down pours. The torment in watching a cloudy afternoon wondering if the weather will hold out sufficiently to put up the screen is one senario we've all been through. One such night happened recently when the weather did in fact clear and I was in the conundrum of not having a good movie to watch. The wife gave me a few movies at christmas most likely from the bargain bin at Target - so we settled on the only relatively child friendly movie there was "The Fantastic Four". PG rating so it wasn't going to scar the children as much as the other option "Ted". Smiley

Now, the Fantastic Four was not fantastic in anyway and my attempt to improve it by increasing beer consumption did little to assist other than render the tear down clumbsy and incomplete as I left the screen up over night. This also became the night when a thousand defecating insects decide to unload on my Carls Screen leaving dark spots of insect poop all over it while I slept in an intoxicated slumber. While trying to clean the screen the next day I heard some movement in a tree about 10 meters from where we noramlly to sit to watch movies and so I snapped a picture which I've attached and I can now advise that while insect crap is difficult gettiing off your screen, koalas like BYT  Grin

* koala.JPG (195.48 KB, 480x640 - viewed 153 times.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:52:04 pm by Steve302 » Logged
Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 577

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »

Oh, WOW!  That's so cool. Now, you can't deny the continent upon which you live.  Thanks for sharing the surprise.

Underdog66
Offline Posts: 303

'Cause cuttin the roof off my den would be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 03:58:54 am »

Cool koala pic!   Grin  Thanks for sharing the pic of the back of the screen.  I also use a spreader bar with my 16x9 screen.  It helps considerably to eliminate sagging over the long expanse.

Infinity Backyard Motion Pictures
bdwalker1
Offline Posts: 391

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 01:52:41 am »

I highly recommend their second film, The Dish, a true story about what happened in Australia during the moon landing staring Sam Neill and Patrick Warburton - and yes its a comedy in the same style of The Castle.

Wanted to thank Billy for mentioning The Dish in this thread last year.  I had never heard of the film before hearing about it in this thread.  Having just searched the forum I saw that it had been mentioned on this site at least a couple of times previously (before I was a member). I finally found the time to watch it via Amazon Instant Video this evening.

I am a big fan of movies about the early US space program -- The Right Stuff, Apollo 13 and From The Earth To The Moon are all part of my DVD collection, and we had them all on VHS before they were available on DVD.  While I would not put The Dish in the same league as the other movies mentioned here I will say it was thoroughly enjoyable, and it was great to get a glimpse at another small piece of the huge puzzle that was the Apollo program.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:54:35 am by bdwalker1 » Logged

Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »

I've been meaning to post the evolution/improvements of our BYT for a while. Issues with my old setup was that the AV gear was loaded onto a table and dragged out of the shed which was a pain as it was heavy but it also looked like a total dogs dinner. I've now moved the mixer/Blu ray etc into the shed which is adjacent the screen and you'll see in the pics. My 50 foot speaker cables are just long enough to go between there and the speakers.

One of the things which unnecessarily ticks me off is when my PJ becomes the backdrop for a hand puppet show! This seems to generally be adults with the kids being better behaved. I wanted to lift the PJ up and so constructed a stand utilizing a PA speaker stand and speaker bracket mounted to a piece of marine ply. An elasticised strap keeps the PJ safe. I say the stand sits about 2 meters tall but can be easily adjusted and really tidies the look of the place up. I run 10 meter HDMI cable between the blu ray/ laptop etc which shows no signal loss and seems pretty robust.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the PJ stand, the stand itself is rated to hold 60kg and is very stable.

* AV.JPG (117.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 95 times.)

* PJstand.JPG (142.4 KB, 480x640 - viewed 95 times.)

* PJstand1.JPG (147.09 KB, 480x640 - viewed 85 times.)

* PJstand2.JPG (129.24 KB, 480x640 - viewed 89 times.)
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 05:11:43 pm »

Its been a while since I posted an update. BYT is going strong here with a setup most weekends. I'd say my Carl's screen has been hoisted up about 40 times this year, we're fortunate to have a very agreeable climate.We've hosted a couple of weekends ago a scout camp which was well received with movies on the Saurday and Sunday nights. I was looking forward to having some photos to remember the weekend but unfortunately was kept too busy to take any.

My middle son turned 7 in mid October and he was intent on inviting 4 of his friends out for a sleep over. We had a great night with the highlights for the boys being laser tag battles and at night a movie. He chose Escape from Planet Earth which the kids loved. I made a point of making a clip to remember the day and have posted it on youtube. The BYT can be seen at the 3.00 minute mark.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwCC14oKgg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/XtwCC14oKgg</a>
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:21:11 pm by Steve302 » Logged
pistolero56
Offline Posts: 312

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

i enjoyed the video so much i forgot about the byt until it came up. good job on the editing. good film shots.
looks like your son had an awesome time.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:55 pm »

Thank you my friend. The clip was shot with a Gopro camera and it's been a revelation - my kids would typically run a mile if a camera was ever pointed at them but with the Gopro they don't seem to mind and act normally. I'm hoping to do some more videos in the future to help remember those special occassions - I'm sure most will feature BYT as it's one of our favourite past times.
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2050

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 09:56:58 am »

Thank you my friend. The clip was shot with a Gopro camera and it's been a revelation - my kids would typically run a mile if a camera was ever pointed at them but with the Gopro they don't seem to mind and act normally. I'm hoping to do some more videos in the future to help remember those special occassions - I'm sure most will feature BYT as it's one of our favourite past times.

Steve,

What a great video, actually got a little misty just watching young kids having fun, outside, playing games, politically incorrect laser guns, haha,which some activist group here would want to ban. With all the crud going on in this country, it just looks like simpler times down under. What a great family you have and your boys will have wonderful memories.

Well done!!

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 04:59:54 pm »

What a great video, actually got a little misty just watching young kids having fun, outside, playing games, politically incorrect laser guns, haha,which some activist group here would want to ban. With all the crud going on in this country, it just looks like simpler times down under. What a great family you have and your boys will have wonderful memories.

I really appreciate the kind words. We head out to our little country retreat after I finish work on Saturday morning ( I run my own small business ). It takes us an hour to get to the block from our home in inner city Brisbane, here in Queensland. Leaving the city and its trappings behind helps me recharge for the next week. We have a very small house out there and its all about the family and the outoors. We have lots of visitors and some people "get it" and some don't but for our family its ideal. In fact this weekend my eldest has a friend coming out to stay -Dispicable Me 2 will feature on Saturday night on the big screen and I suspect  lot of the activities in the youtube clip will feature again tomorrow.

Our country still has its challenges but we are fortunate compared to some others and for that I am thankful - BYT however has no boundaries.

Best wishes,
Steve
satch
Offline Posts: 406

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 07:05:21 am »

Lovre the video setup is awesome,what kind of projector you using
as it looks super clear and it appears to be still sunny out

do you get winters their?HuhHuh??
as I write this it is snowing   grrrrrrrrrrr
sidestrip to Australia maybe
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »

Hey Satch

Lovre the video setup is awesome,what kind of projector you using
as it looks super clear and it appears to be still sunny out

do you get winters their?HuhHuh??
as I write this it is snowing   grrrrrrrrrrr
sidestrip to Australia maybe

I use a NEC P420 X projector which puts out 4200 lumens so I guess this does fast forward the start time a bit but the annimated clip you see certainly flatters the projector brightness. As per the climate, we do BYT all year, it get cold in winter (well to us it does) but what makes it a great environment is the lack of twilight and relatively early sunset. In winter we'd be going by 5.15pm (so we're done and packed away before it gets too cold) and in Summer 7.00pm at the latest.

Maybe there should be a Spargefest Downunder??? I still can't compete with your BYT (by the way where are the pics of the new build?)

Steve

« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:51:29 am by Steve302 » Logged

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: