Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
72 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 05:15:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 12:55:46 am]

[Yesterday at 02:21:09 pm]

[August 26, 2014, 02:09:42 pm]

[August 26, 2014, 12:09:16 am]

[August 25, 2014, 06:07:59 pm]

by Chaz
[August 25, 2014, 02:52:13 pm]

[August 25, 2014, 11:46:19 am]

[August 25, 2014, 10:36:22 am]

[August 24, 2014, 11:04:47 am]

[August 23, 2014, 06:46:41 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen stroage  (Read 2195 times)
txlnghrn
Offline Posts: 10

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:10:32 am »

How do you store you screens when not in use?
I currently have a framed bed sheet that I hang in the garage when not in use, but I'd really like to upgrade to a 16x9 carl's screen this winter.

Thanks
TJ
pistolero56
Offline Posts: 310

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

i fold my carls screen into a 3x3 square and store it in a plastic drawer bin. the wrinkles are not an issue.

The Rusty Trax Theater
Sunset Flix
Steve302
Offline Posts: 64

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:58:58 pm »

I have a Carl's 16 X 9. It folds up pretty easily and fits back in the plastic bag that it was delivered in. You don't notice any wrinkles when it is attatched to the frame.
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

i fold my carls screen into a 3x3 square and store it in a plastic drawer bin. the wrinkles are not an issue.

same here. just finished scrubbing down my screen and will be more vigilant as to taking it down, storing it in a dry safe place (a plastic rubbermaid "under-bed" container), and cleaning it.

Towndrunk
Offline Posts: 142

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:25:58 am »

I'm thinking of purchasing a screen from Carl, but is this something that you can leave us all season long?  Of course  you may have to clean it here and there, but if it can withstand the wind, can you leave it up in the rain with no issues?
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:54:19 am »

its black out cloth (BOC). its not recommended to be left outside but it certainly can be. i've left it up for the past 8 months. only bringing it down twice in that time due to wind. any gusting above 25 mph can make it like a sail and the potential for screen damage and/or property damage increases. 3 weeks ago i took it down and noticed a lot of mildew spots. no doubt due to some foggy mornings and the water just sitting on it for extended periods of time. the mildew cleaner i bought has done an admiral job. its not 100% mildew clean however with constant mildew scrubbing and more consistent screen takedowns, this screen can last me another 2 years before i consider purchasing another screen.

i recommend a carls screen due to their quality. with proper maintenance (better than i've provided) it can last a long(er) time. how long is your season?

rawod
Offline Posts: 192

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:28 pm »

As our gigs are always "somewhere else" we had to build a screen that has a quick setup & breakdown time.  We use the same "screen" material that a theater would use and simply detatch our "frame" from the "poles & bases", then detatch the screen material from our frame, and fold it up into a 1 X 3 foot form.  It goes into the "booth" box and you'd never know it was folded at all.  Since we just did our last show of the year, it's stored in a spare bedroom with all our other FireFly Theater stuff.

The party, the people, the movie (and Hot Dogs)
Towndrunk
Offline Posts: 142

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:13:22 pm »

How long is your season?

I have done this off and on for the last few years, but never into it as much as I will be next year.  I live in NW Ohio, so our season isn't extremely long.  Starting to wish I never left California. . .

The screen will be framed and attached to the wall of my garage.  Wind may affect it slightly, but not all to much.  I was more worried about the rain and what the wind may blow into the screen than anything else.  I would take it down on occasion, but if I were to have to many adult beverages and ended up leaving it up, would that be ok.

I went outside last night with 9x16 and 9x22 taped off on my garage wall to see what the difference would be with my projector.  I'm thinking that I will be going with the 9x22, so I know I wont want to take it down every night.  Plus if it starts to rain it would be nice to just get the projector and get under cover, rather than taking the screen down as well.
KingPin
Offline Posts: 152

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »

I picked up a used Gemmy Deluxe last year and I keep it and the screen in a foot locker - screen is folded up in the sames plastic bag it came it when I got it - still working great
txlnghrn
Offline Posts: 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 10:45:11 am »

Does anyone have a framed screen that they bring inside to store?
I currently have a queen bed sheet framed that's about 5x9. I want the bigger 9x16 but maybe that'll be too hard to get in and out.
I like the frame idea, because I have hooks on it to hang from my garage or fence, and I think setting up poles every time would be too much of a PITA.
I thought maybe when not in use I could hang it from the ceiling in my garage.
Any ideas how to do that?
bdwalker1
Offline Posts: 389

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:10 pm »

I thought maybe when not in use I could hang it from the ceiling in my garage.
Any ideas how to do that?

Assuming you have enough unobstructed garage ceiling area to lift the screen directly into place you could use 2-3 utility hooks (like these http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7644-Heavy-Ceiling-2-Piece/dp/B000NY4U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354209341&sr=8-1&keywords=bicycle+hook) on one side, and a bicycle lift (like this http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Products-Bike-Hoist/dp/B003TFOPJA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354209496&sr=8-4&keywords=bicycle+lift ) on the other side.  You'd just put the top of the frame on the hooks and then lift the bottom up using the bicycle lift.  You may need to bend the hooks on the lift a little to ensure a secure purchase on your frame.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:23:04 pm by bdwalker1 » Logged

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »

same idea except take out the canoe and insert a rolled up screen:

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: