Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
71 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:26:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 11:39:43 am]

[Today at 10:49:24 am]

[Yesterday at 01:18:22 pm]

[Yesterday at 12:48:55 am]

[Yesterday at 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone using Vudu?  (Read 2494 times)
wantvws
Offline Posts: 67

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

In my never-ending quest for economical TV/movie service, I have dumped Dish Network and signed up for Netflix and Hulu Plus. Now I'm looking at Vudu.... which I have to admit I never looked at before now but it looks really cool. I love the idea of just paying for what I watch because I really don't watch a ton of network shows but I hate to miss what I do watch.
Any experience with this service?
Thanks!
Robbie
Garp
Offline Posts: 380

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 11:59:44 am »

Just started watching this. I upgraded our Roku to the newer version, and the Vudu channel is included on it. Plus I finally got round to linking the Vudu channel on our wireless blu ray player. Setting up both gave us nearly $12 in credit, so we've watched a few things since then. We have only SD TVs but I've been impressed so far - no pixellation, no buffering, no adverts. Their content seems very similar to Amazon streaming and same prices, however.
movielover
Offline Posts: 2277

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:45:13 pm »

what is your internet speed ?
i have been debating on what to purchase.

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
wantvws
Offline Posts: 67

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:18:00 am »

Just started watching this. I upgraded our Roku to the newer version, and the Vudu channel is included on it. Plus I finally got round to linking the Vudu channel on our wireless blu ray player. Setting up both gave us nearly $12 in credit, so we've watched a few things since then. We have only SD TVs but I've been impressed so far - no pixellation, no buffering, no adverts. Their content seems very similar to Amazon streaming and same prices, however.
I like the idea of just paying for what I use. The selection of movies that Netflix has on demand is not as good as I had hoped although I am thoroughly pleased with the TV shows. Haven't explored Hulu Plus too much yet.
Do you know how Vudu works with "owning" seasons of TV shows? I assume that you pay for them and you have access to them as long as you have a Vudu account.

I am close to 4 mbs. I think I am streaming 720p from Netflix, which is great because our Dish channels were not HD (480 I think?).
movielover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:54 am »

I like the idea of just paying for what I use. The selection of movies that Netflix has on demand is not as good as I had hoped although I am thoroughly pleased with the TV shows. Haven't explored Hulu Plus too much yet.
Do you know how Vudu works with "owning" seasons of TV shows? I assume that you pay for them and you have access to them as long as you have a Vudu account.

I am close to 4 mbs. I think I am streaming 720p from Netflix, which is great because our Dish channels were not HD (480 I think?).

thanks for the information.
anyone else care to share there speed ?

Towndrunk
Offline Posts: 144

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »

I stream from Netfilx, and have recently re-enabled my Hulu Plus account to watch various shows that others have recommended we watch.  I have had no issues at all streaming these, and the quality is pretty good.  I do have a 30M connection though, so that helps.
movielover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

thanks towndrunk. 30 would be great. i have 4 from Verizon, i am thinking about switching to a cable modem, but the prices are really high.

everette
Offline Posts: 77

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:28:24 am »

When I purchased my Blu-Ray player, it came with 1 free rental from Vudu so my wife and I used it one night. I was surprised to see the vast collection of movies the service offers. This was around Halloween so we just searched the horror genre and the list seemed never ending. I wouldn't use this service continuously as I am subscribed to Netflix which is cheaper but doesn't offer as many choices.

As for internet speed, i have a 12mb connection and Netflix plays everything in HD if it is available. If you are dumping Dish (I did the same about 3 months ago and haven't looked back) I HIGHLY recommend XBMC. If you have an old laptop or Apple TV laying around just install it on there and hook it up. There are tons of add ons (Netflix and Hulu Plus included) that you can install and you can access them all from one place. Also you can look into an add on called NaviX I think that would be something you would be interested in...

Towndrunk
Offline Posts: 144

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:31:05 am »

I would agree with Everette about XBMC.  I will have to check out those add-ons as well, but I use XBMC to manage my movie collection.  I knew there were add-ons, but I have only used the ones geared towards movies.  Cinema Experience is nice when you want to play intros, trailers, slide shows, etc along with your movie choice(s).  So many options, and I don't have to touch it again once I start it.

I have just been using my HTPC to play Netflix or Hulu files, directly from the site.  I find both of them easy to use, and Hulu has been adding a lot more content lately.  I also like that both of these will integrate with my SmartTV in my Master Bedroom.

I believe that both of these offer a free trial for about a week. . . I may be wrong, but I would give them a try.  Definitely give XBMC a try if you haven't already.  There is a little bit of a learning curve with setting it up initially, but don't let that discourage you.  I have converted all of my friends who were using either My Movies or Media Browswer.
l33tDad
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »

We use a combination of Vudu and Netflix (built in apps on TV) on our standard 7Mb RoadRunner account along side of a dedicated XBMC HTPC with a 10Tb server running Sick Beard and are very seriously considering cutting cable. The Vudu service is EXCELLENT and although it may be cheaper to go to RedBox, the convenience is worth the extra cost to us.
suzook
Offline Posts: 13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:55:24 pm »

I am using vudu via my laptop and able to steam HDX from my pool area.
I recently upgraded everything to the AC standard and it streams my 971 movies flawlessly Smiley

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: