Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
68 Guests, 4 Users
genesis76, Garp, jwh92020, movieman
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:52:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:51:34 pm]

by Garp
[Today at 02:50:05 pm]

[Today at 02:01:55 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:34:13 am]

[September 22, 2014, 03:13:08 pm]

[September 20, 2014, 05:22:24 pm]

[September 17, 2014, 04:07:06 pm]

[September 16, 2014, 07:06:53 am]

[September 16, 2014, 07:00:23 am]

[September 16, 2014, 06:56:26 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first post  (Read 1375 times)
wadedog
Offline Posts: 10

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2012, 04:50:52 pm »

Hello to all, I really love this site and have read alot of the posts and am excited to someday have my own backyard theater.
I'm not sure how to get started since right now I don't have a big budget or have the knowledge on everything needed,like projectors,sound systems laptop dvd and media to look professional like you guys here.

Is there a post on how newbies can get started ?

Also I would like to get information on a system that I can take camping where there is no power, even just a sheet at a camp site would be fine for me but figuring out what projector that's needed and sounds system and power needs is a problem, anybody care to help a newbie out ?
jwh92020
Online Posts: 226

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 06:24:30 pm »

Check out Cherry Hills' thread - "How to Build a Backyard Theater On The Cheap" in the General Discussion Forum. It's a great place to start.

Life is too short to not have fun!
wadedog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:07:13 am »

Thanks.

Any ideas for my other question about camp site movies in the primitive area with no power?
satch
Offline Posts: 404

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:55:14 am »

Wadedog

For camping your biggest challenge will be the lack of electricity
Do you have a generator?as you will require one,

My cousin does show movies  at his trailer however he does have power.

Then you will require projector, screen and sound system,DVD, quite the challenge if you lack power,

Most people have old speakers and amps in storage, DVD you can bring your one from home or run from a laptop,

As far as a screen for camping I would suggest just a white sheet to start off with,

Your second challenge is a projector? Do you currently have one?and or access to one? most places of employment have projectors that you could possibly borrow to try out.
If you decide on a generator ensure it produces enough power to run your projector, amp, and DVD
Remeber also that generators are rather lound when running...

It can be done,

Satch

wadedog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:29:53 am »

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking power would be my major concern, At harbor freight they sell a small two stroke generator that is fairly quiet and puts out 800 rated watts, do you think that would be enough?
I was thinking a long extension cord to move the noise away as much as possible but I don't know if that would work.

don't have a projector but I'm looking and learning from this site as to what I need.
Jimchan66
Offline Posts: 110

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:27:04 am »

Wadedog,

I take my system camping all the time.  I probably watch more movies camping then I do at home.  Here is the setup up I have put together over the last five years.

Projector: Epson MovieMate 85HD
Screen: Camp Chef Super Screen 132
Sound: Bose Roommate II
Game System: Nintendo Wii or Playstation 3
Tech Rack: Camp Chef Sherpa
Power: Honda eu2000i
All the assorted extension cords and cables required.

The projector, speakers, and all the cables pack into the Sherpa for easy transport.  It takes about 30 minutes to setup when we get to camp.  The generator is quiet and less distracting then you would think.   I have considered using a deep cycle battery with an inverter but it would be heavy and only last a couple of hours if I had no way of keeping it charged.  You could run an inverter through your vehicle but then you would have to have the vehicle running during the movie or take a chance of getting stranded.  Here is a picture of the system setup in my garage.

* Sherpa 1.JPG (35.79 KB, 448x252 - viewed 65 times.)
wadedog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:47:58 pm »

Thanks Jimchan66,I thought of a battery and inverter too but like you thought it would be heavy and not last very long running everything.

Is 800 watts enough power to run your set up ?
Jimchan66
Offline Posts: 110

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 04:41:44 pm »

800 watts should be enough to run my system MovieMate, Plastation 3, and speakers.  However, if I were to use and inverter I would probably get at least 1000 watts.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: