Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
58 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 12:08:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:23:23 am]

[Yesterday at 10:20:43 am]

[October 24, 2014, 12:38:12 pm]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:52:21 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HD on a 480p projector  (Read 1290 times)
genesis76
Offline Posts: 2899

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2012, 11:16:37 pm »

i feel like a rookie  but i need to ask this

I have directv when i show a sports game on my 480P projector the picture is fuzzy & not very goodd. I was told by Epson years ago that my MM 3o was not great for TV. Look the picture is OK but not something that is special.

Ok the same game on HD is very clear...maybe not real HD but looks real good.

WHY> As far as my limited knowledge this should not be... on a 480P

If i had to guess its the reg def broadcast that is less then 480P not the HD is btter on my MM?

Thanks in advance Richard
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1283

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:23 am »

What model projector do you have? So we can check the specs.

bdwalker1
Offline Posts: 391

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:47:52 am »

I believe according to his post he has an Epson MovieMate 30.  Here is a link to the specs: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=63059187&category=Products

What I'm not sure of is exactly what Richard is asking.  I think what he is wondering is why HD channels look better on his projector than standard definition channels even though theoretically the standard definition channel resolution should be a better match to the projector's native resolution.  Is that right, Richard?

I see that your source is DirecTV, but I'm curious what type/model of DirecTV receiver you have and what method (type of cable) you are using to hook your source up to the projector.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »

I believe according to his post he has an Epson MovieMate 30.  Here is a link to the specs: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Specs&oid=63059187&category=Products

What I'm not sure of is exactly what Richard is asking.  I think what he is wondering is why HD channels look better on his projector than standard definition channels even though theoretically the standard definition channel resolution should be a better match to the projector's native resolution.  Is that right, Richard?

I see that your source is DirecTV, but I'm curious what type/model of DirecTV receiver you have and what method (type of cable) you are using to hook your source up to the projector.

You got It!    Thanks tronn4 too.

I know the specs but the picture should not be better than the specs. It must be the Sd signal is that bad & not that the HD is better then the projector.

I have the HD rec that is a slave to  the Hd recorder rec upstairs. It is a year old If you need to know I will get an exact Mod #. I use the component cables not the HDMI.

I know it is not HD but the picture is real nice while the SD is fuzzy etc. It is watchable but look like a 1985 projector picture
rich72
Offline Posts: 145

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:52 pm »

I have the HD rec that is a slave to  the Hd recorder rec upstairs. It is a year old If you need to know I will get an exact Mod #. I use the component cables not the HDMI.

I'm wondering if the issue is the MM downscaling the HD signal from the DTV receiver.  I would try the s-video out on the DTV and go into the MM with that.  That way the MM just displays what the DTV gives it without needing to convert it.  Or use the old school composite video out if DTV dropped the s-video on that model.

tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »

when i had directv, the SD channels were noticeably bad quality and that was through HDMI. when i switched back to good old "rabbit ears", signal quality of SD stations significantly improved. my thought was these pay-tv operators degrade the SD signals so as to keep more bandwidth for the 100 or so QVC rip-off stations it tries to add

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

when i had directv, the SD channels were noticeably bad quality and that was through HDMI. when i switched back to good old "rabbit ears", signal quality of SD stations significantly improved. my thought was these pay-tv operators degrade the SD signals so as to keep more bandwidth for the 100 or so QVC rip-off stations it tries to add

I think you are right I have a 50 inch DLP 1080P Tv upatairs with DT. It is smaller but still the picture is a little fuzzy. If this is the answer why would anyone but Dt for a large TV & watch SD programming.?
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 05:23:44 pm »

when i disconnected from directv i believe hd channels accounted for roughly 45% of their available programming. amc wasnt even available in hd yet. we ended up figuring out that we watched the local channels (abc, cbs, nbc, and a few independants) a good 90% of the time. everytime directv added 4 or 5 hd channels they also added 10-15 sd channels. mostly qvc rip-offs and an annual price rate increase. we neared $100 a month for channels we didnt watch.

we cut the satellite. never had cable. got into netflix. increased our internet bandwidth. bought a hd homerun unit. now we pay nothing for our tv viewing with dvr capabilities and have an enormous online video rental store for $10/month. this left us a small excess of monies that would have gone to directv but now is redirected to buy new movies and season collections of tv shows.

TL;DR: we cut directv 4 years ago. SD programming was at least half of their offerings. now its a different story but i dont see the value of a $100+ monthly bill for something we dont use everyday

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: