Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
60 Guests, 1 User
Jimchan66
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 09:25:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 07:46:02 am]

[Yesterday at 01:18:22 pm]

[Yesterday at 12:48:55 am]

[Yesterday at 12:22:27 am]

[October 28, 2014, 01:37:48 pm]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drive-in theater calendars  (Read 7433 times)
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2007, 06:50:47 pm »

One of the cool things associated with drive-in theaters (and to a certain extent with walk-in theaters, too, back in the day) was the calendar card. These were advertising calendars, printed on heavy paper or cardstock, that informed eager drive-in patrons what the theater was showing on what dates. They were often bulk-mailed to every household in the area, or given away at grocery stores and the like.

They were meant to be eye-catching, often printed in two contrasting colors, or on colored paper. Some were a half sheet, some were a full sheet. They often had holes punched in the top, so you could hang them on a nail in your kitchen (this was before the discovery of refrigerator magnets).

I have about 25 original calendar flyers, ranging from 1948 to 1978. They were printed by regional companies that apparently specialized in serving theaters. Some of the ones I have are sample stock that were found when a printing company went out of business.

A couple of people have asked me about the flyers I make for the Cherry Hills Driveway Theater, so I have uploaded a blank one here:

To make this, I took a scan of a 1973 calendar and fiddled with it until it was a skeleton usable for my purposes.  Here's what it looked like before I worked it over - I just took the original and pasted in my logo to see how it would look:

You can do the same by pasting your theater's logo into the box at the top and then put ads for the movies you will show in the boxes. To keep it authentic, you should only use the two colors already on the flyer - turquoise and dark brown.

I have some other similar scans of original flyers, so if you want to do this yourself and want something no one else has used yet, send me a private message and I'll send you a scan. Here's a sample:

* Calendar Sampler.jpg (110.51 KB, 597x572 - viewed 563 times.)

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »

I've put a couple more files in the Downloads section for your BYT enjoyment. One is taken from the calendar above, but with the theater and film information cut out. You can use it as the basis of your own flyer by editing it and pasting in movie titles, ad cuts, etc.

The second is an intact flyer from the "Outdoor Theater" in Florida. For that one, you don't even have to replace the theater logo - just add your name and the films you have scheduled.

Enjoy!

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat6

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
RoseRanch
Offline Posts: 371

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:35:18 pm »

Very cool, Cherry Hills!  I missed your first post on this.  I've got a couple of these original drive-in calendars off of eBay over the years, but I never thought of creating one for our BYT.  I'll need to plan ahead and make one for the coming summer season.  Thanks.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: