Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
128 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 05:38:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]

[August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Logan Deck Theater Thread  (Read 46013 times)
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 08:18:27 am »

Rained out two weeks in a row. Angry

Long term forecast is for rain THIS Friday and Saturday too. Bummer.
dorsalfin
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 10:06:15 am »

Dont forget there is always a good time had by all with a indoor LUAU!!! movie night.

Tongue Dorsalfin  Shocked
Azure1
Offline Posts: 266

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 09:11:50 pm »

Do what i did for the indoor nights.

Go to Joanns, they have this stuff called Felt, it was ON SALE for $2.99 a yard.
It's 6' Tall and i got a piece that was 17' long. Cost me all of $18.00.
Wrap it around a 2 X 4 and streatch it across the garage door. Instant Fun.
It's also good for Reverse Viewing.

Outdoors is a different story, i've got a few things i'm working on.

Photo below is me with my cat Nutty.
Nutty turned 20 years old on June 10 2008.
He was born in Nampa, Idaho on June 10 1988.

* Victor and Nutty.jpg (440.18 KB, 1632x1232 - viewed 641 times.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 09:15:03 pm by Azure1 » Logged

She's Hideous. She's got a face that could scatter a Leper Colony. From Duckman
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 07:30:24 am »

Azure1 -

Your assumption is that I can actually get IN the garage!

Once I get my basement theater finished moving inside won't be as near the problem it is now. We use the livingroom wall and it looks fine, but seating gets tight REALLY fast. So if it's just the two of us or us and another couple, its fine.

Tom
timtimes
Offline Posts: 434

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 09:01:51 am »

Photo below is me with my cat Nutty.
He was born in Nampa, Idaho on June 10 1988.

Which, coincidentally also appears to be the date on which you got your last haircut.  Grin

Enjoy.

Mom always told me I was special and I believed her.
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:55 am »

OK! FINALLY got another showing in! Despite the severe thunderstorm warning, distant thunder and a few flashes of lightning. Once again, Friday evening was perfect, but we have neighborhood deck parties on Friday, so I try to show movies on Saturdays. It's rained almost every Saturday or we've been away or otherwise busy this summer.

So FINALLY we got to catch up on 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and threw in a rare second feature, NEXT (with Nicholas Cage - good movie BTW). Only had one other couple and one guy show up, but the rain forecast kept people away. It turned out ot be a really good night as the rain moved north of us and we had an opening right above us all night and could even see some stars.

Heard a couple of comments regarding how good the "orchestra" sounded during 7 Brides. That's something you just don't get on TV, or even in live shows anymore as they cut down the size of the orchestra and use synthesizers.  But the old big musical sounded great. And in widescreen you could actually see all six of the brothers dancing at the same time (the 7th is ALREADY married and doesn't HAVE to dance!).

Bigger really IS better!

Now, because of upcoming vacation, neighborhood show and we're hosting a party, it will be at least a month before we get another one in. I guess you can't have everything....where would you put it?
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:19:44 am »

And, oh yeah, I forgot to add....

a little bit upgraditis hit. I went to a few pawn shops and found an old RCA HT receiver to use on the deck. I was getting tired of having to setup and take down the reciever to use for the neighborhood shows, so I thought I'd try to find something suitable for the deck.

It's an old RCA RT2250, 5.1, 300 watts, which is plenty for the deck. It does have digital coax out, so it's works great. I made sure to test all 6 channels before I left with it. It would have sounded even better if I remembered to hook up the sub. The sub is the one non-outdoor speaker and because of the possiblilty of rain, I didn't put it out early. Then at the last minute I put out the screen and the projector and forgot the sub!

Worst thing about it....no remote.
Best thing...$90.

Next worst thing...it's slightly longer than other one, and I can't close the cabinet door completely.
Next best thing...no more swapping when doing the neighborhood shows.

I MAY try it out at the next neighborhood show and use IT for those and leave the original one in the cabinet so that I can close the door completely.   
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 08:03:47 am »

Managed to get in a Movie Friday night....

Mission To Mars. Pretty good, especially for Summer on the deck. It has it's good moments, and it has it's bad ones. It rained just enough to wet everything down at 8:00pm so only one couple came over. Fortunately, it's 5 a minute setup.

Problems - The "new" cheap amp is "balky." I couldn't get it to stay on. It kept resetting itself.  I tried watching the movie but every 30 seconds it would reset and I had to keep my finger on the "DVD" select button, so the audio was dropping out every 30 sceonds. About 10 minutes in everyone had had enough and I was trying to shutdown. I took the projector in (in case it rained again) and I couldn't turn OFF the amp. Then all of sudden, it turned off by itself and tunred back on. I hit the "tuner" select button and the dang thing stayed on. So after about 10 minutes of it staying on, I pulled the projector back out, and we restarted the moive and it ran fine.

Guess I'm back in the market for an amp.
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 09:20:43 am »

Had an un-official showing at the party we hosted this past Saturday night.

I have a gadget from an old board game that you can use to "buzz in" answers. Up to six can have a buzzer. So we decided to play a drinking game. We ran Blazing Saddles. If you thought you knew the next line, you buzzed in then I hit pause. The person who buzzed in says the line. If he's right, everyone else drinks. If he's wrong, HE drinks.

After about 30 minutes, too many people were buzzing in too often (AND getting too buzzed) and people just wanted to watch and call out the lines. So we quit using the buzzers.

Then after that we ran Young Frankenstein.

A good time was had by all. 
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:23 am »

Logan Theater Packs it in for 2008

Well, looks like the end of the season for the Logan Deck Theater. Weather jsut di not co-operate this season. I have three movies just sitting around from Netflix that we never even got to.

I actually went out to the deck one Saturday early to set up and found that the outlet on the deck wasn't working. With it getting dark earlier and earlier, I had to find a Saturday during the day when I could fix it (needed to replace the GFI outlet). Then, once I got it fixed, the next weekend the cheap pawn shop amp I bought seemeed to have completely crapped out.

So it just wasn't working out this season. ALTHOUGH, I was in a Wally World for something a couple of weeks ago and saw they had a RCA HTiB (1000W total) for about the same as I orginally paid for the outdoor theater....so I'm slowly getting upgraditis!

See oyu all next season!
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:23 am »

We had snow flurries here yesterday so I suspect we're about done too.  I think our daughter has plans for one more show this weekend, if possible.  Stay warm, Tom, and keep us posted on your plans over the winter!!  We'll keep a fire going here so don't be a stranger!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 08:04:26 am »

Thanks Randy.

Oh, I still check in. I've just been pretty busy at work and I'm working on a basement theater, so I don't always have time to post. If yesterday and today are any indication, this could be a LOOONG winter here in Northern VA. If you are watching the World Series, we had the same weather all day they had up in Philly last night. It's been a couple of years, so maybe we're due.

Be back here posting in the spring!
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »

HEY! Look who's back! Been TRYING to get my basement done and I have been active on the AVS Forums.

Just thought I'd update with this year's upgrade....ROKU! Allows me  to stream Netflix and TONS of other content. Picked it up on whim while in Costco one day. Watched The Producers and Killers. Wireless connection has only gone down twice and it's always come right back up. For the convenience of not having to get a disk ahead of time, it's well worth it.

I HIGHLY recommend if you already have a wireless router setup. I get an excellent signal probably because I set up an extender for my living room BlueRay player to stream and my deck is on the same level as the living room (the router is up one floor), so I get the boost from the extender.
Adult Beverage
Offline Posts: 348

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:31 pm »

I would guess that being AdultBeveraged over here will have a different meaning than being Loganed over there.  Welcome back.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer.  Watch this!!"
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:30 pm »

I COULD start that here, too, IF I wanted to and you KNOW what could happen, particularly in Dimension X. So watch yourself, buddy. You want to provoke me? HUH? DO you, punk? Yeah, that's right, I 'm talkin' to YOU.

Now hand me an adult beverage and let's watch some movies!

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: