Backyard Theater Forum
December 12, 2017, 02:45:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
42 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 02:45:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member Sign Up Suggestion.  (Read 15941 times)
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:35 pm »

I like all of genesis76's suggestions. It might be accurate to say the site "ain't broke," but it certainly seems like it's gone to sleep.

I think people are eager to get together and share their BYT successes, and get answers that might possibly speak to their failures.
Waiting for approval CAN be a major inconvenience if you have started constructing your BYT  (in part because of the great info. on this site), but just need a couple of suggestions, AND approval doesn't come for 4 or 5 months. The season might be over by then.

Maybe we could add just one or two of genesis76's suggestions and see how receptive our members are to the changes/additions. Might be worth a try.

Now, in all fairness, I've never had to monitor a forum. I can't imagine how time consuming it might be. But to my very untrained eye, it seems as though a bit more time might be spent whipping this great place into even greater shape.

Now, don't be mad, guys. I'm just relaying how I perceive the situation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:08:15 pm by Oldalgebra » Logged

mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 08:33:05 pm »

Now, in all fairness, I've never had to monitor a forum. I can't imagine how time consuming it might be. But to my very untrained eye, it seems as though a bit more time might be spent whipping this great place into even greater shape.

Now, don't be mad, guys. I'm just relaying how I perceive the situation.

Id be willing to bet the person that started this site has a life now thats takes up most of his time and the hobby became more like a job so he lost his drive.  Understandable.  It happens.  When you are the single admin it can be a very daunting task to oversee a large active forum. 

All we can do is make the best of the situation or branch out to other outlets (which slow registration forces people to do).  It would be a shame for that to happen though.  There is so much knowledge on here.

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »

The "ton of good info that needs to be shared" is already being shared by anyone who happens to want to read it.  It's available.

The forum doesn't "need a major update."  It works fine.

To me this is one of those "build it and they will come" deals.  It's here for people who want to read it.  If someone is bothered by the wait for approval, I guess that's just the way it is.  Sounds like a minor inconvenience to me.

True that Facebook has probably taken some of the traffic from here and forums in general.  That's also just the way it is.  Traffic tends to increase when we hit summertime in the U.S.

There's also the old adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Smiley

Sure you may disagree, my friend.  What would you change?

Part of my stance is the aggravation that comes with some sites that are always tinkering with their layout, etc.  I remember at one time Yahoo was changing their layout every week it seemed like.  At that time I had been a user for many years and I just got tired searching their packed page looking for where I was supposed to log in this week.  It gets silly.  No longer a Yahoo user.

That's an amazing outlook on this place.  Thoughts like this are why forums are a dying breed and falling behind.
I'll be honest here.  If you can't understand why I said it needs an update with the software, you wont understand my reasoning.  Older folks dont tend to get technology, staying current, or change.   
Ill just leave you and your mind set and chalk it up to just the way it is.  Best of luck in all you do.

One thing we have always done on here is treat others with respect . Be it an older person or younger person.  I vote we keep it that way.
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 01:36:38 am »

The forum definitely needs an update and has for a long time.  It will most likely migrate to xenforo.  Initial work has already started but is subject to change if needed.

Yes, my life has changed significantly since we started.  Kids have grown and moved on and luckily for us, both ended up (for now) in the same area about 5 hours away which makes it very convenient to visit both in the same trip -- so we do that -- as much as possible.  That convenience won't last forever.  We don't watch as many movies outdoors as we did the first 15 years or so but the screen is still up and we'll have our first showing of the season in the next couple weeks.

I've said many times on here, this has always been hobby site for me.  I appreciate that some folks would like for it to be more; bigger, more current on technology, more bells and whistles, more users, fewer roadblocks, events, swag...  Anyone who knows me well knows I maintain a fairly demanding load of personal and professional projects outside this site and those are generally the priority items.

The next iteration of the site will be more technologically current.  It needs to be due to device migration and security.  It will be mobile-friendly, responsive design, less noisy, with a good amount of new features I think will appeal to many users.  It's not so much an attempt to gain or impress loads of new members as it is to simply serve members better.

I have a couple projects ahead of this but initial upgrades (offsite to 2.0.10 for those who are interested) and cleanup/migration of some fringe data and testing is already done.  The next step will be the migration to xenforo, configs, break/fix, template/styling, etc.  I'm not prepared to discuss a timetable beyond a test migration to xenforo (offline) in mid-June.

I appreciate the offers of assistance, your suggestions and patience.  No, the site is not for sale.

@mccorkled: As part of the preparation for the upgrade and migration there was a group of users who had been approved but the approval messages hadn't processed.  You were apparently in that group.  If you're not comfortable sending new users here due to activation delays I understand that.  We've had significant problems with vendor and affiliate spam over the years, especially when we've had the attention of some large publications.  Some of those issues will be addressed (and could have been addressed on SMF) but it may be a while before we go to instant activation, if ever again.  I spent a couple years cleaning up after and dealing with (primarily) Chinese B2C shops who wanted nothing more than free forum advertising for their 'sample' products.  We'll be able to loosen things up a bit with a couple new methods but not to the point of that time-sink.

There are some upgrades in the works.

Randy

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 01:38:44 am by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 11:15:45 am »

No, the site is not for sale.

My favorite part! Wink We know you'll get it done when it's time. You also know that many of us that have been through the good and bad times will be here for you if you need some help!
RoseRanch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:39 am »

Exactly, Corzak.  And Randy already mentioned some of the things I was thinking about, such as this being a hobby site for him.

I have a philosophical outlook on it, I guess.  For one, it's interesting to consider how things were just a week ago before this thread got started.  In other words, things were working as usual with a functioning forum and occasional new topics, etc.  Sure, changes could be made, but it's not like it's a crucial necessity and I figure that Randy will make any changes if and when he wants.  It's really none of my business.  We gather here for free, no charge.  And there's really no need for more traffic or for Randy to feel compelled to increase traffic.  It's just the little desires for some people here.

I visit several online forums and it's the same most everywhere.  Things have changed and that's life.  Facebook and handheld devices have cut down a lot of forum participation.  I used to make sites and monitor forums too.  It can be a drag sometimes and there can be some feeling that you owe people, even if you're doing it for free as a hobby.  Randy doesn't owe us anything, really.
If a newbie comes on with one or two posts saying things need to change, I have to question it.  Seems like some want to take control of things.  Anyone can create their own site, forum, FB page. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:54:16 am by RoseRanch » Logged
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 12:50:34 pm »

I am happy with what Randy has said. "The great & powerful Oz has spoken"  Grin Grin

a facelift is in order
mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 05:09:05 pm »

One thing we have always done on here is treat others with respect . Be it an older person or younger person.  I vote we keep it that way.

Just because I am straight forward does not mean I am disrespecting anyone.  I agree with you completely however.   Smiley

Glad to hear some changes are in the works.  If I can be of any help, let me know.
Now lets get back to posting as normal.  Grin

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 10:08:48 pm »

Randy,
Though I have been on this forum for a number of years now I really didn't know your story.  I'm was glad to read your post and learn a little bit about you.  And the forum.

I'm also going to say that I totally understand the time situation.  I'm in a similar boat only instead of with the forum, it's with my backyard theatre.  We still aren't though with work, why because I have full time job, I have my volunteer position, my board position, and once in a while I like to do something fun.  So even though we had planned to be opened up by now we're not there yet.  It's just going to be a little bit longer and folks that come to the theater have to understand that.  What I'm saying is I understand your time situation or lack there of. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »

Drum Roll Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 11:51:36 pm »

This site is running on Autopilot! 

rg
see you at the movies
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:37:39 am »

Randy, if you read this I mean you no offence, I know you have other things that have clearly taken priority and I don't be grudge you that, so I'm just stating the facts.

To everyone else,
According to the members info Rfisk has not logged in since September 14th 2016, so that's almost 5 months as of this writing.  The last new member approved was 5-23-16 and that person was only one of two people who was approved in 2016.  Personally I don't care if the forum ever upgrades to a new platform this one is functional enough for me, but I do wish that Randy would let one of us that is still active on the forums to help out.  At least giving someone other than himself the ability to approve new members. 

You all know how I feel on this issue, so I'm going to shut up before I say something I regret later  Smiley 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 11:21:49 am »

Randy, if you read this I mean you no offence, I know you have other things that have clearly taken priority and I don't be grudge you that, so I'm just stating the facts.

To everyone else,
According to the members info Rfisk has not logged in since September 14th 2016, so that's almost 5 months as of this writing.  The last new member approved was 5-23-16 and that person was only one of two people who was approved in 2016.  Personally I don't care if the forum ever upgrades to a new platform this one is functional enough for me, but I do wish that Randy would let one of us that is still active on the forums to help out.  At least giving someone other than himself the ability to approve new members. 

You all know how I feel on this issue, so I'm going to shut up before I say something I regret later  Smiley 

X2 Randy....Thanks SR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: