Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
130 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2017, 04:37:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:46:22 pm]

[April 20, 2017, 05:07:39 am]

by SR
[April 17, 2017, 12:46:03 am]

[April 12, 2017, 07:19:38 am]

[April 11, 2017, 03:30:28 pm]

by SR
[April 05, 2017, 01:09:38 pm]

[March 30, 2017, 08:07:24 am]

[March 30, 2017, 07:06:16 am]

[March 29, 2017, 07:08:16 pm]

[March 29, 2017, 03:10:46 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgrading Sound System  (Read 2195 times)
Jimchan66
Offline Posts: 123

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:40:18 pm »

All,

I thinking about upgrading my speaker setup.  Currently I use a set of old Bose Roommate (1988) speakers.  I am thinking about upgrading to the Mackie Freeplay because of the Bluetooth and the ability to have microphones for karaoke parties party’s as well.  I would like to keep my system as portable as possible currently all my gear (MovieMate 85 projector, Speakers, accessories) fit into a Camp Chef Sherpa Organizer which I use as a projector stand.  The only thing separate is a Camp Chef 132 screen.  I use the system for camping and small parties in the yard with friends.  Just looking for a little more sound and versatility.  Comments and recommendations appreciated.

* Bose Roommate II.png (75.01 KB, 275x183 - viewed 30 times.)

* Mackie Freeplay.png (79.41 KB, 300x170 - viewed 34 times.)
Steve302
Offline Posts: 95

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 09:40:55 pm »

I had a look at the Mackie Freeplay as I was impressed by the portability. I had a look at it in the shop (keep in mind I'm in Australia and our market is significantly smaller here) but I was annoyed that the battery was not included, nor a kick stand. All the extras would have made this a $900 Aus purchase price. I concluded that for the coin needed I could purchase a vast array of alternative gear. Also when using a battery its output was alot less than using mains power.

I'm interested to find out how you go with your research.
Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:05:16 am »

Steve,

Portability is key for me.  I have found the Mackie Freeplay here in the U.S. with the battery included for the normal price.  Not sure if I need it because I have to plug in the projector anyway but it is a good addition that would normally be 70 dollars.

What did you end up using for your sound system?

If I do move forward with the Mackie Freeplay I will be sure to post my impressions.
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »

Hi Jim,

For what it's worth I ended up purchasing http://hkaudio.com/products.php?id=376. It is small light weight and requires a single power point. This has the inbuilt mixer and packs up efficiently and cleverly. It has plenty of power for my applications and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I also bought http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/eon206p#.WIvSC7kypQA which I haven't been as happy with.

I still think the freeplay is a good speaker and it seems like you can purchase it without being financially violated unlike here in Australia.

Steve
Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:45:00 am »

Steve,

I went to the store and checked out the Mackie Freeplay but it just looked cheap to me for the price.  However, as soon as I looked at the Lucas Nano 300 I was sold.  Just what I was looking for.  I picked one up this weekend.  I like the sound of the system stacked but am also looking forward to getting some speaker stands and trying the system that way.  Do you have the optional speaker stands or do you use mic stands instead?  Do you have any photos of your setup in action?  Thanks for the help and the recommendation.

Jim
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:35 pm »

Jim,

I'm sure you'll be really happy with the lucas nano, for me it is small, powerful, sounds great compared to the other speakers I've used and packs away neatly. Just a clever little system. When I purchased mine I also bought the additions package which includes the speaker stands and cables all packed neatly away in its own bag.. I have not been that happy with the quality of the stands, particularly the rather brittle plastic joins that hold the  tubes together. These have generally failed and I am sure this is partly due to me being somewhat ham-fisted and lacking in finesse when tightening them but they aren't upto the quality of the rest of the unit. The cables however are great, just the right size for BYT.
I don't have any pictures, I'll get one next time I setup unless you get in first with your new addition.

Congratulations on the purchase
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »

Hi Jim,

As promised here is a picture of Lucas Nano 300 with add on package in action. You can see the speaker stand mount from the subwoofer casing and the second speaker attaches to a tripod stand. We hosted a sleep over birthday party for my 8 year old son at our property an hour from the city, very warm weather and wonderful star lit night. The boys watched Daddy's Home and a range of pre show youtube clips. As you can see the camp chef OS 144 was utilised in rear projection giving a clean bright image. The show was well received by all with plenty of ice cream, popcorn and cake consumed.

Steve

* BenParty1.JPG (101.76 KB, 640x480 - viewed 66 times.)
movieman
Offline Posts: 1608

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:44:49 am »

Nice picture. What time of the day?

rg

rg
see you at the movies
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:07 pm »

Nice picture. What time of the day?

Thanks for the compliment movieman. I tend to start the pre roll about 20 minutes shy of sunset, this gives the kids a chance to settle down and get ready. In this case the picture was taken early in the pre roll at approximately 6.20pm with sunset being about 6.40pm The projector is an Epsom EB-1980WU 4400 lumen unit which has been a solid dependable unit.
Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:54:45 am »

Steve,

Looks like fun.  Thanks for the photo.  I just added a couple of fold up microphone stands and some 25 foot cables.  My plan is to place the main unit at the bottom center of the screen with the satellite speakers on each side.  I will take a photo and post next movie night.  Thanks again for the recommendation.

Jim
Steve302

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:18:05 am »

Hi Jim,

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Out of curiosity is there a universal thread pattern on the microphone stands that enables you to screw the speakers onto them? As I said earlier I wasn't happy with the quality of the stands I have and it would be nice to know there is an alternative.

Steve
Jimchan66

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »

Steve,

My system came with two threaded adapters the fit on top of standard American microphone stands that allow the satellite speakers to mount to them.

Jim

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: