Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 06:36:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
100 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:36:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New console for 2017 season  (Read 4209 times)
movieman

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:56:23 am »

Just completed building 2 new consoles.  One is all HDMI and the other RGB for long video runs

Last picture is the crew waiting for showtime at a PTO school movie night with trailer #1. It's used for 20' x 11' and 16' x 9' screen packages. Trailer #2 is for the 40' an Drive-in theatre screen packages

rg

* IMG_0339MA34982605-0004.JPG (105.16 KB, 640x480 - viewed 159 times.)

* IMG_0362MA34982600-0005.JPG (104.61 KB, 640x480 - viewed 132 times.)

* IMG_0188MA34961388-0004.JPG (110.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 137 times.)

* IMG_0230MA34982607-0002.JPG (109.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 152 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:01:05 am by movieman » Logged

rg
see you at the movies
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:23:42 am »

Did anyone tell you RG.....you do nice work Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  looks great
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:02:16 pm »

Thanks,
I build all my consoles to fit our needs. I don't like just one console for everything.
I have a 4 unit console for backyards (HDMI) set up for rear projection. NO wires,
projector for kids to touch.

rg

rg
see you at the movies
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »

How do you like the Denon Blu-ray player? I'm using much of the same gear as you except I have an Oppo 103 mounted. I'd love to move down to a 1U player, but I really like having the dual HDMI outputs.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:29 pm »

My Film Festival console has 3 OPPO's (love them).
My Drive-in console has 2 OPPO's
All consoles have Kramer seamless switchers
The Denon is a nice unit
It would be nice since rgb is being squeezed out that all HDMI decks has 2 hdmi out
rg
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:55:22 pm by movieman » Logged

rg
see you at the movies
wedgehead98

DIY Outdoor Theater is a sickness!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 06:13:50 pm »

My Film Festival console has 3 OPPO's (love them).
My Drive-in console has 2 OPPO's
All consoles have Kramer seamless switchers
The Denon is a nice unit
It would be nice since rgb is being squeezed out that all HDMI decks has 2 hdmi out
rg

Hi RG -

I had this thread in the Receiver specific forum and copying over here because your post is very pertinent!

I've been doing outdoor movies on our property for friends and family for several years and assembled the audio components into a wheeled 12U Seismic Audio cabinet.  The projector sits on top of the cabinet during the show.  In addition to a master plug strip, we have a basic Panasonic Blu-Ray, a Denon AVR-3805 to decode the optical into discrete channels and then 2x EP4000 Amps with L/R going through one EP4000 and Center/Sub going through the other.

That stupid cabinet must weight 200 pounds and I'm just getting tired of that! 

So, I decided it's time to upgrade to save weight and save my back... I understand a Blu-Ray player with analog outputs to a Splitter/Mixer can do we what we want - but that's where I get in over my head and get confused.

Will be buying a new DVD/Blu-Ray with 7.1 analog output - really like the 1U Denon unit. (very hard to find the Oppo 103's at a reasonable price).
Will be buying 2x Behringer iNuke NU6000's to replace 2x EP4000's.

Removing the 2x EP4000's and the Denon will pull out almost 100 pounds of weight!

When it comes to replacing the functionality of the Denon (decode digital audio from Blu-ray, provide other inputs for iPod music, and provide master volume control) - what's the best way to do this?  We'd like to keep 3.1 sound capability. 

Some combination of Mixer/Splitter? Is it possible to maintain master volume control with a Rane or Behringer Splitter and then feed a mixer? Can we add a microphone input?

We already have a Christie Digital LWU505 projector and Peavey Sub/Speakers/Stands.

Functional Requirements:

1. 3.1 sound from movies - master volume control is very nice to have to easily adjust overall sound, discrete volume control can be accomplished with the amps
2. The ability to play music from an iPod (simple L/R stereo is OK, bass to the subwoofer is a nice to have when only playing music and not movies)
3. The ability to hook up a microphone is a nice to have, not a need to have.
4. Use the existing 12U cabinet, speakers, and projector (projector sits on top of the audio cabinet during movies)
5. Ok with buying new DVD/Blu-ray with analog 7.1 sound outputs
6. Ok with buying Mixer or Splitter (or both?)
7. Will be buying new iNuke NU6000's because that will save ~45lbs in the rack.

Speakers are Peavey 118 subwoofer (8 ohms) and Peavey PVX12 (also 8 ohms) for L/R/C...

I'm still unclear on the simplest way to have 3.1 sound - mixer, splitter, or both?

I appreciate your input!

John

11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:30:35 pm »

If you have two units of rack space free to handle audio, I'd put in a ART MX622 line mixer and the Rane (or less expensive Behringer MX882).

The MX622 would give you three stereo RCA inputs as well as a couple mic inputs while the MX882 would give you individual volume controls for 3.1 sound. I used to have my system configured exactly this way up until last year when I went down to a single zone mixer due to space constraints.

My signal flow looked like this:

Oppo 103 (or Denon) Blu-ray player was directly connected to the MX882
Front/Left > Channel 1/2 (Main)
Center > Channel 3
Sub > Channel 4
Surround Left > Channel 5
Surround Right > Channel 6
MX622 Mixer Output > Channel 7/8

The MX622 line mixer handled mixing down a few different aux source such as a backup Blu-ray player and a few wired microphones which then ran to the last two channel on the MX882 splitter/mixer.

There's probably wiring software where I could diagram it better for you, but I can assure you it's a very effective configuration while giving yourself full control over all channels.

In other news, there are a few downsides to the Denon player you should be aware of: It does not support zoom modes for 1:39.1 content and it doesn't have any HDMI inputs or dual outputs. If it had those things, I would replace my Oppo just for the size savings, but those are important features to me so I've stuck with the 103 for now.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:39:13 pm by 11visions » Logged

Phillip Hullquist
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 11:07:59 pm »

If you have two units of rack space free to handle audio, I'd put in a ART MX622 line mixer and the Rane (or less expensive Behringer MX882).

The MX622 would give you three stereo RCA inputs as well as a couple mic inputs while the MX882 would give you individual volume controls for 3.1 sound. I used to have my system configured exactly this way up until last year when I when down to a single zone mixer due to space constraints.

Center > Channel 3
Sub > Channel 4
MX622 Mixer Input > Channel 7/8

The MX622 line mixer handled mixing down a few different aux source such as a backup Blu-ray player and a few wired microphones which then ran to the last two channel on the splitter/mixer.

There's probably wiring software where I could diagram it better for you, but I hope that helps. It's a very effective config while giving yourself full control over all channels.

In other news, there are a few downsides to the Denon player you should be aware of. It does not support zoom modes for 1:39.1 content and it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. If it had those two things, I would replace my Oppo just for the size savings, but those are important features to me so I've stuck with the 103 for now.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, sir - $1345 later... Shocked...I'm on my way.

I'll need to order some cables once I map all the inputs and outputs, as well...

John
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 04:03:50 pm »

The MX622 would give you three stereo RCA inputs as well as a couple mic inputs while the MX882 would give you individual volume controls for 3.1 sound. I used to have my system configured exactly this way up until last year when I when down to a single zone mixer due to space constraints.

Center > Channel 3
Sub > Channel 4

The MX622 line mixer handled mixing down a few different aux source such as a backup Blu-ray player and a few wired microphones which then ran to the last two channel on the splitter/mixer.

There's probably wiring software where I could diagram it better for you, but I hope that helps. It's a very effective config while giving yourself full control over all channels.

In other news, there are a few downsides to the Denon player you should be aware of. It does not support zoom modes for 1:39.1 content and it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. If it had those two things, I would replace my Oppo just for the size savings, but those are important features to me so I've stuck with the 103 for now.

Hope that helps!

I'll need to order some cables once I map all the inputs and outputs, as well...

John

.pdf of cable map attached just in case it's useful to anyone else as a start for a template...

* Audio Cabinet Cable Planning Guide 05-18-17.pdf (62.48 KB - downloaded 50 times.)
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:51 pm »

Center > Channel 3
Sub > Channel 4

Hope that helps!

John

...and so it begins. 

Waiting on a couple more cables to run first bench tests in the warehouse before loading everything into the 12U wheeled audio cabinet.  Ordered some shorter cables, as well just to tidy things up a little

I get the feeling I need to inspect the internal wiring connectivity of each cable as we have balanced and unbalanced sources and loads!

John

* IMG_3167.JPG (872.89 KB, 1512x2016 - viewed 107 times.)

* IMG_3168.JPG (920.7 KB, 1512x2016 - viewed 93 times.)
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 03:31:34 pm »

Center > Channel 3
Sub > Channel 4

Hope that helps!

John

...and so it begins. 

Waiting on a couple more cables to run first bench tests in the warehouse before loading everything into the 12U wheeled audio cabinet.  Ordered some shorter cables, as well just to tidy things up a little

I get the feeling I need to inspect the internal wiring connectivity of each cable as we have balanced and unbalanced sources and loads!

John

Everything hooked up on the bench and all the speakers connected - running through a couple SACD Audio CD's and Blu-Ray discs to test.

I have no sound on the Center and Sub channels.  I'm pretty sure it's because we are going from RCA to RCA with a 1/4" TS adapter to plug into Channel 5 and 6.

Philip - how did you handle the cabling on those channels?  Perhaps I need to just get (mono) RCA to 1/4" TS cables? Or perhaps RCA to TRS?

John
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:56:09 pm by wedgehead98 » Logged
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

I used 1.5" RCA to TS patch cables from GLS Audio between the Oppo and my MX882. Make sure you're using a source that has mutl-channel output and that it's not being mixed-down to stereo by Denon Blu-ray player.

Phillip Hullquist
wedgehead98

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:11:48 am »

I used 1.5" RCA to TS patch cables from GLS Audio between the Oppo and my MX882. Make sure you're using a source that has mutl-channel output and that it's not being mixed-down to stereo by Denon Blu-ray player.

...or, as I discovered this morning, I managed to pull the RCA's out of the back of the Denon ever so slightly as I was adjusting other cables such that they weren't making good connections!

I'm surprised those RCA's slid off so easily...I'll have to tighten up the surrounding grippers.
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:16 pm »

I used hot glue on my RCA connections and that made them difficult to move unless it was intentional.

Phillip Hullquist
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: