Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 12:14:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
98 Guests, 1 User
MikeMiesen
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 12:14:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plex Media Server  (Read 2589 times)
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:26:19 pm »

Didn't see it mention, but I've had great results using Plex.  I now have a DAS attached to my wife's computer and all our movies, old TV shows and music on it.  The player works on all different devices.  Until I am able to buy a new PJ and upgrade my whole BYT equipment, I will still be using my laptop as the source for the PJ.  I wil evenutally use an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV directly into the PJ.  For those that like to have music, show pre-views and then the movies, I've had great success with it's playlist racking and stacking it all.   

Just thought I mention it as another option for streaming video you may have on hand.  This will take me one step closer to a no setup BYT where I can go out on the deck and turn it on and go to town.

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 01:59:16 am »

Thanks for mentioning it.  I also have Plex and have been pretty happy with it, the Fire and Roku both have apps for Plex, so that is nice that you can wirelessly access your library.  I don't have a way to copy content any higher than DVD quality, so I have not used my Plex server for backyard movies though.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:06:16 am »

The more I use it the more I love it.  It's going to help change the way I do my BYT and other things.  I have the app on my phone and love that I have access to all of my media on the go.  I canceled SirusXM in my car because between the 64GB USB stick and having access to my music on my phone with Plex I didn't need it; and the best thing is I don't have to hear some stupid DJ after every song.   

I have a 21.5TB storage at about 55% full.  It took me months do convert all of my CDs, VHS, DVD and Blueray's to digital but it was worth it for the convenience of it all.  I can even "DVR" TV and Movies from over the air and keep it (after a slight bit of editing commercials). 

I go overboard with it but even for someone with a small digital collection it can be helpful in a BYT environment.

Now it's just a waiting game to save up enough to buy the PJ with a 50ft throw and a new receiver/outdoor speakers and have a permanent setup... if I can just keep the wife from buying so damn many shoes... lol

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: