Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
123 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2017, 12:59:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 06:23:11 pm]

[Yesterday at 06:15:53 pm]

[May 22, 2017, 09:38:41 am]

[May 19, 2017, 03:30:15 pm]

[May 18, 2017, 04:03:50 pm]

[May 17, 2017, 11:04:07 am]

[May 15, 2017, 10:38:40 pm]

[May 13, 2017, 11:02:45 pm]

[May 13, 2017, 10:57:57 pm]

[May 09, 2017, 06:50:41 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: low cost long throw  (Read 536 times)
SR
Offline Posts: 687

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »

Ok so I've once again found myself in a new / old situation.  So the Sit & Vue will not be coming back this year.  Jake has decided to stay in SC, so he is selling his house here.  This coming weekend was the weekend that I had hoped we would be opening up for the season.  I'm not really looking to relocate the Sit & Vue again, but Gary (Night-Sky) is still at his place and will be at least until next fall.  So I'm just going to do what I can to make his BYT the best it can be for this summer and who knows maybe longer if he wants to keep going.  So last weekend I met Jake at his place and we pretty much took out and divided up the equipment that was at the Sit & Vue.  He took the BOC screens and the FM transmitter, I got all three projectors, the AM transmitter and if I want to go back and get it the plywood screen is mine too.  I don't really want to move the plywood screen, but I'd image he'll have it taken down before selling the house so I might go by and cut off a chuck to frame or something.

This is what it comes down to.  The Night-sky is on a hill, he has a tiny building built into the ground 1/2 way up the hill the we call the projection booth.  It's in horrible shape as is most of the equipment in it.  The roof on the building has leaked for longer that I have been helping him and all his equipment from the VHS player to audio processor to the projector is encased in homemade wood box or rack.  I don't know what the manufacture of the PJ is that is currently in there, but it's not a very bright at all.  So what I'd like to do is to use my equipment over there.  I'm not really keen on using his projection building, but at the top of the hill is his house which has an enclosed porch, and I could mount a projector my transmitter and I'd be able to use my laptop and dvd player for programming as I have done as I did at the Sit & Vue.

So here is the equipment I have and what I'm trying to do.  His screen is 8X12 feet so roughly 4:3.  Projectors I have on hand.  one Epson powerlite 81P, and two Canon Realis X700 they are all 4:3 Pjs, the Epson is rated at 2,000 lumens the canons 4,000 lumens.  Neither one of the projectors have changeable lenses. 

For that size screen the Epson should have a throw distance of 18 - 21 feet.  The Canons from 18 - 29 feet, obviously they both have built in zoom.  But the porch is roughly 55 feet from the screen.  So none of my projectors are intended to have that long of a throw distance to this size of screen.  I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars doing this for what is likely to be only one or possibly two summers.  What I would like are some homebrew ideas that I could attempt for less than $100.

So any thoughts or ideas are welcome, there are no bad ones.  I would probably prefer to use the canon as it is brighter than the Epson and with the longer throw distance I'm going to likely need the extra lumens.  I'm hoping to go over there this weekend and play experiment for a few hours.  One thought is to just simply go to using the laptop as the only programming source and simply changing the display settings making the screen size smaller, and see if that is helpful.  Another would be homebrewing a lens, or ?  I have heard of folks with indoor home theaters using mirrors in order to mount the pj much closer to the screen (shorter throw)  but I don't see how that could be used for situation I have, I'm just putting it out there to get the creative juices flowing Smiley 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
SR
Offline Posts: 687

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:46:03 am »

Well, I did get over to the Night-Sky over the weekend, just not after dark so I didn't get to play experiment at all.  What I did get to do is rake leaves and winter debris up, cut tree branches hanging on the fence and the screen, and patch together the fence.  On the theatre side, I did give the screen a good look over, I'm going to go by again next weekend replace a few of the supports running from the back side that angle to the ground behind it.  Honestly I'm a little surprised it didn't come down over the winter.  There is also a support on the right side that is on of the main vertical supports that doesn't look to happy, but I think replacing a couple of the back supports will at least assure us of it staying up right for the season.  I'm still open to ideas and once I do get to experiment I will post back with what didn't work and what does work if anything.

Typically he has started his season Memorial weekend, but the Sit & Vue historically when it was at my house and on a hill I tried to get open by mid-May so we are shooting for either the 12th or the 19th, weather permitting, in other words we need to get enough sunshine to dry out the hill, because I about bit it several times raking. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: