Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 12:13:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
102 Guests, 1 User
MikeMiesen
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 12:13:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars 40th Anniversary  (Read 3498 times)
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »

Tonight I will be showing the first movie of the season, Star Wars on VHS.

It is the 40th anniversary of Star Wars and of VHS! What a better way to celebrate both. Some details about using VHS for movies:

1. If you have a large screen most people won't notice the difference.

2. VHS is much brighter than a DVD or BluRay.

3. Star Wars on VHS shows Han Solo firing first.

The Pre-Show will still be digital. I use a HD media player from ebay (about $35) that plays video files off of an SD card. It can play WMV, MP4, MP2, AVI.

Pre-Show will include:
     Star Wars Bohemian Rhapsody
     Mickey Mouse in Space Walkies
     Pixar Lifted
     Star Wars Holiday Special Promo
     Original Star Wars Trailer
     Outer Space Snack Bar "We're off to visit the planets...."
     Hardware Wars Trailer
     Sprint Interrupted PSA where space ship takes the guy on the phone.
     Robot Chicken Star Wars clip
     Family Guy Star Wars Clip
     C3PO & R2D2 Anti Smoking PSA

All of these clips can be found on YouTube. If you are using Firefox you can download add-ons to download videos from YouTube.

I will post some photos tomorrow.

Carl
darknite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:26:03 pm »

that... Is...  AWESOME!!!!

Point of order, Han didn't shoot first. He just shot, Greedo didn't return fire.  Grin
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 12:16:11 am »

Carl,
I want you to know that I help an elderly man with mobility issues run his backyard theater.  He has a small building we use as a projection building.  Inside is projector, a duel deck VHS machine, a mono altec mixer (I believe the mixer is from the 60s?) it used to feed speakers but now it feeds an AM transmitter.  He's got it all in a custom built wood rack except the AM transmitter which is hooked into the wires that use to go to the fence speakers.  I have no idea who the manufacture of the PJ or the VHS machine is, mostly because of his rack access is limited at best and there are no inputs on rack so short of replacing it all or cutting holes in it VHS is the ONLY option.  There is a side door to the PJ for bulb access so I might be able to figure out the manufacture actually.  So at his BYT it is VHS only, and once you get good at running the equipment you can switch from tape to tape completely seamlessly.  Rewind switch tapes and go again!  It's actually kind of fun, when things are going well.  When I'm playing something in one deck and trying to unjam a tape in the other that can be stressful, but I've gotten pretty good at it at this point.  The biggest problems are finding titles to play.  I've bought a number of tapes off E-bay that were not in any shape to play.  I do the best I can to find tapes that haven't been played recently.  Now that my BYT the Sit & Vue is gone for good... Long story....  The old mans BYT is my only BYT this summer, so there is some thought of bringing in my equipment, but honestly it doesn't seem likely due to the condition of his projector building roof.  I you guys must think his place is dump, if you have read my ramblings about it before and everything about his BYT is well warn but it is still FUN, and possibly a step back in time in someways. 

Up until your post I thought we were the only ones still using VHS in BYT.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:37 pm »

A great source for VHS is half.com. once you type that it comes up as half.ebay.com

Here is an item for sale: $9.99 for 6 original Disney Classic VHS tapes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-DISNEY-VHS-BLACK-DIAMOND-classics-ALLADIN-CINDERELLA-LITTLE-MERMAID-amp-more-/311884348564?category=0

I used them for the Star Wars on VHS.

As a side note, VHS is brighter than DVD or Blu-Ray. So your movies can start earlier!

Carl
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 09:00:52 pm »

Here is a video or our movie night. I've also included some stills.

https://youtu.be/KQHOhNei3hw

Carl

STILLS PART 1

* Screenshot_20.png (338.66 KB, 502x644 - viewed 74 times.)

* Screenshot_9.png (151.61 KB, 682x382 - viewed 62 times.)

* Screenshot_10.png (181.25 KB, 694x398 - viewed 64 times.)

* Screenshot_11.png (167.48 KB, 700x401 - viewed 63 times.)

* Screenshot_12.png (468.52 KB, 699x398 - viewed 65 times.)

* Screenshot_13.png (221.07 KB, 693x396 - viewed 69 times.)
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:02:57 pm »

Here are some more stills

Part 2

Carl

* Screenshot_14.png (499.73 KB, 692x398 - viewed 66 times.)

* Screenshot_15.png (518.49 KB, 684x383 - viewed 81 times.)

* Screenshot_16.png (300.97 KB, 345x401 - viewed 69 times.)

* Screenshot_17.png (556.68 KB, 695x398 - viewed 76 times.)

* Screenshot_18.png (545.52 KB, 691x394 - viewed 75 times.)

* Screenshot_19.png (614.16 KB, 690x394 - viewed 82 times.)
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:36 am »

A great source for VHS is half.com. once you type that it comes up as half.ebay.com

Here is an item for sale: $9.99 for 6 original Disney Classic VHS tapes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-DISNEY-VHS-BLACK-DIAMOND-classics-ALLADIN-CINDERELLA-LITTLE-MERMAID-amp-more-/311884348564?category=0

I used them for the Star Wars on VHS.

As a side note, VHS is brighter than DVD or Blu-Ray. So your movies can start earlier!

Carl

Thanks for the pictures Carl.  I always loved seeing your wonderful setup.  So I started helping Gary with his BYT three years ago, in addition to my own.  During that year I bought a few tapes off E-bay that were simply in awful condition so I'm a little hesitant.  I'll probably try half.com, even though they are an e-bay company.  Your last picture shows hot dogs on the grill, do you give those away at your movie nights, or sell them or ask for donation?  Just curious.   

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 08:55:59 am »

Nice setup Carl!!!!!  like the curbgate grill also
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 12:31:23 am »

ABSOLUTELY!

I do movie nights twice a year. I love doing them but for me it is also a way to get the neighborhood together. This was our 13th year. My kids and their pals grew up watching my Drive-Way Theatre. Houses have sold and new people have had babies who are now toddlers playing at Movie Night! My kids are all grown up and moved away. I will be hosting movies until I move away to the old folks home!

My Memorial Weekend Movie night is the Hot Dog night. I buy about 80 hotdogs (Oscar Meyer Classic Wieners & Turkey Franks) and buns. With the holiday sales this runs about $20. I buy about 6 2-litre soda bottles of various flavors of Shasta ($6).

I bought a cast of the Jolly time All In One popcorn kits a year and a half ago. I am down to 3 packs. I put the case in the fridge in the garage to keep it fresh. I checked the expiration date and it says "Sell before July 2017" so I am just about past the expiration date. The case ran about $36. So my total food outlay for the movie night was about $40.

I have the neighbors bring drinks and something to share. It seems to work out great.

In the fall the October Movie is Pizza Night! I tell people to bring drinks and a pizza to share. We always have a crazy variety of pizza and lots of candy. I only serve popcorn.

Keep the lights on my friends! No matter how hard things are people depend on us!

Carl

* Classic-Wieners-10-ct-Pack.jpg (116.64 KB, 500x500 - viewed 59 times.)

* 71871544627.JPG (108.13 KB, 500x500 - viewed 55 times.)

* 71VkxgEMj9L._SL1000_.jpg (187.97 KB, 1000x1000 - viewed 64 times.)
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:06:27 am »

ABSOLUTELY!

Keep the lights on my friends! No matter how hard things are people depend on us!

Carl

Thanks Carl those are really good words of advise.  This spring when I had to let everyone on my E-mail list know that the Sit & Vue would not be coming back, it was really eye opening how many folks responded to that E-mail.  Including folks that wanted to offer up their backyard for me to setup in.  It was so hard for me to say no to those offers, but as long as the Night-Sky is around I really just want to concentrate on that rather than trying to run two BYTs again.  So I've invited everyone that went to the Sit & Vue to drive a few extra miles and join us at the Night-Sky.  It has been even more eye opening how many of the Sit & Vue regulars are making the drive to the Night-Sky regularly.  Besides the drive I know that the picture and sound is not as good at the Night-Sky, but yet they still come out and have fun.

What currently has me kicking myself is at the Sit & Vue we used to serve concessions, for a suggested donation with the understanding that any money made was put back into the theatre.  Popcorn, soda, & pizza, which was really just frozen pizza we cooked on a gas BBQ grill.  We never served hot dogs.  What the heck was I thinking.  We talked about it, but we wanted to get a hot dog machine and never did.  I've done hot dogs on the grill a million times but never thought to do it at the Sit & Vue.  Oh well another boat missed.  I'd really like to do the concessions for donation thing at the Night-Sky so there could be some money for maintenance at the Night-Sky but Gary doesn't like it, he wants to just keep giving away popcorn.  I understand the free popcorn is his tradition and he could keep giving that away and offer other stuff for donation.   Oh, well either way I'm going to enjoy the Night-Sky for as long as possible. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:10:16 am by SR » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: