Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
123 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2017, 08:39:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]

[August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEST PROJECTOR ON A $300 BUDGET??  (Read 611 times)
Scott183
Offline Posts: 10

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:07 am »

Hi all, I'm so happy to finally become a "member" of this community. I recently got a great deal on a brand new 12 ft air blown Gemmy and am in the market for a projector. Throw distance is not an issue as I have over 100 feet to go back. I'm minimally looking for 720 (preferably 1080p), that I could play with at least some ambient light present. I'm trying to stay on a budget friendly max of $300, so I know my options are limited. I believe I need a minimum of 3000 lumens to get anything  decent with any ambient light. Here is one I'm considereing, but certainly welcome others suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5155-3300-Lumens-Projector/dp/B00SZ4G4YE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1504705938&sr=1-2&keywords=hd+projector&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A11028018011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A3235178011%2Cp_36%3A-30000
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:13:53 pm by Scott183 » Logged
movieman
Offline Posts: 1624

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »

I would NOT buy this unit.

Spend the money on a HD unit. If you do NOT have the money then wait till you do.

Do it right the first time, you will save in the long run

rg

rg
see you at the movies
Scott183

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 04:33:56 pm »

Spend the money on a HD unit. If you do NOT have the money then wait till you do.

rg

Is there anything "acceptable" in that $300 price range? I'm not opposed to buy used either. Thanks
Corzak
Offline Posts: 462

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:47:20 pm »

rg

Is there anything "acceptable" in that $300 price range? I'm not opposed to buy used either. Thanks

I'm with Movieman on this one! Many of us settled when buying our first projector only to replace it a short time later! Bg thing about used is most of the time you don't know how much time is used on the bulbs. New bulb can sometimes run $100 which is something else you need to consider when you buy a unit!  Wink
Scott183

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:03:27 am »

rg

I'm with Movieman on this one! Many of us settled when buying our first projector only to replace it a short time later! Bg thing about used is most of the time you don't know how much time is used on the bulbs. New bulb can sometimes run $100 which is something else you need to consider when you buy a unit!  Wink

Thanks for the reply. I'm going rephrase my question to get some more input. What models would be considered for a good used projector, and if I was going to hold out for new, what would me the most budget friendly decent unit cost. What are the important specs that I'm looking for.
Corzak
Offline Posts: 462

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 10:00:12 am »

rg

Thanks for the reply. I'm going rephrase my question to get some more input. What models would be considered for a good used projector, and if I was going to hold out for new, what would me the most budget friendly decent unit cost. What are the important specs that I'm looking for.

The big thing is stay with the big names and don't consider any of the cheap chinese knockoffs! Epson. Optoma, Ben-Q, Viewsonic to name a few. The Viewsonic that was HD on the link you posted looked nice. You've got the specs down.....lumens & resolution are the 2 most important. DLP or LCD is something you have to make a decision on as well. http://www.projectorcentral.com/ is a great resource in looking for the right projector either new or used. Good luck!
Scott183

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:58:44 pm »

The big thing is stay with the big names and don't consider any of the cheap chinese knockoffs! Epson. Optoma, Ben-Q, Viewsonic to name a few. The Viewsonic that was HD on the link you posted looked nice. You've got the specs down.....lumens & resolution are the 2 most important. DLP or LCD is something you have to make a decision on as well. http://www.projectorcentral.com/ is a great resource in looking for the right projector either new or used. Good luck!

Thanks you again for the reply.
So if the specs are good on that Viewsonic, what is wrong with it, other than the fact it does not do 1080p. I guess my question is why should I stay away from it, or what would make you hesitant on it??

They also have an XGA ($409) and WXGA ($449) version of the same projector. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 01:06:57 pm by Scott183 » Logged
movieman
Offline Posts: 1624

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:47:22 pm »

go with the wxga if your staying w/ this brand

rg
see you at the movies
11visions
Offline Posts: 258

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:06 am »

Thanks you again for the reply.
So if the specs are good on that Viewsonic, what is wrong with it, other than the fact it does not do 1080p. I guess my question is why should I stay away from it, or what would make you hesitant on it??

They also have an XGA ($409) and WXGA ($449) version of the same projector. Thoughts?

The reason you don't want this model specifically is because it's not native widescreen. The upgrade from SVGA to 720P is substantial while the upgrade from 720P to 1080P is less significant. Buy a native 720P projector to start with since you're on a budget and it will keep you happy for a few years.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
genesis76
Offline Posts: 3521

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm »

I bought a refurb epson mm 30 in 2008 still going strong. IMO you don't have to have HD for outside.  Yes it is better but I am still happy with my unit

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: