Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
94 Guests, 2 Users
cecilb, ActionJax
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 02:35:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:04:38 pm]

[Today at 11:38:14 am]

[Yesterday at 09:13:32 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:08:36 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:43:23 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 07:26:36 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 07:25:24 pm]

[July 29, 2014, 12:33:44 am]

[July 28, 2014, 12:21:20 am]

[July 27, 2014, 01:47:47 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blender "20th Century Fox" clip  (Read 105748 times)
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:03 am »

Who else has made a clip from the "20th Century Fox" Blender file?

I have done two, on different computers and at different frame rates, and both suffer from the same problem: annoying flicker of the shadows under the "balconies" between the words as the camera pans right, from about 13 seconds until the camera stops.

Is everyone else seeing the same thing? I suspect it's something in Blender, or possibly the model. In any case, it sure makes a gorgeous clip hard to watch!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2404

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:40:51 am »

I have done two, on different computers and at different frame rates, and both suffer from the same problem: annoying flicker of the shadows under the "balconies" between the words as the camera pans right, from about 13 seconds until the camera stops.

I haven't rendered any animation yet but do recall somewhere in my reading that the flicker was a version problem, and known bug.  I 'think' you need to go back a version to eliminate that.  Will do a little digging.

You may try enabling "Motion Blur" (tip on this page)
http://www.simonharvey.com/blenderartwork.html

But I do remember reading (somewhere) that someone went back a version to fix the problem.  Just can't find it now.

Randy
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:54:07 am by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:07:15 am »

Tom made one of the 20th century things for me.  It is awesome!  I added it to my custom Star Wars compilation for this weekend.  Here is what I am doing:

I took the trailers for Star Wars 1 Phantom Menace, 2 Attack of the Clones and 3 Revenge of the Sith and put them prior to my feature.  So when my disc plays you see the following in order:

THX Intro
Welcome to the Danoplex II (20th Century Fox knockoff)
Trailer Star Wars Phantom Menace
Trailer Star Wars Attack of the Clones
Trailer Star Wars Revenge of the Sith
Danoplex II Feature Presentation (Universal knockoff)
Star Wars main movie

It all plays very well except the 20th Century Fox thing.  It was done at a 576i @50hz and messes up the sync on my TV.  It does play fine on the projector and computer but on the PJ it has about a 1 second loss of signal as the projector automatically adjusts for the 576i @50hz input.  At the end, it reaquires sync to 480i @60hz.  Kind of weird but OK with me.

Dano

Mao
Offline Posts: 222

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:40:29 pm »

I'm the first to admit it....I'm a total maroon when it comes to tech stuff like this (though, after several people mentioned that they had used Shrink to put together an evening's worth of entertainment, I finally found out how to do it!)

I know you guys are creating custom work for your own use.

I wondered if anyone would consider creating 2 short clips to upload (one with "Welcome To Our Outdoor Cinema", the other with "Welcome To Our Backyard Theater"), perhaps adding a slide "Proud Member of Backyardtheater.com" at the end.

A nice intro for us and a nice plug for this awesome site.

Ideas?

Backyard Theater - Featured Member" border="0
Mao

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:36:01 pm »

I'd gladly donate!  Grin

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:21:59 am »

Cherryhills -

I've made both the 20th century and the universal logos. I did get the flicker in the 20th century. Personally, when I first saw it, I just thought it was a "feature".....flashbulbs, like at a premiere or something.  Anyway, there have been a couple of people reporting fixes over on AVS, but it is a huge thread and all require re-rendering, which I didn't think mine was bad enough to worry about, especially for the outdor theater. MAYBE when I get around to finishing the basemnt theater....

The universal one came out fine. I just wish someone over there would get the layered lettering working. If you get the right template, it goes really fast.

Dano -

Are you having a problem with the 20th cewntury one I sent you? I never tried to play it on the TV, only the computer and the projector and the only thing I was aware of is the flicker. I did yours the same way I did mine and it plays fine on the $29 DVD player and projector.

Tom
Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:36:31 am »

Tom,

Well, it all depends on how you classify a problem.  As I said, on my PJ it works fine AFTER if aquires the 576i X50hz rate.  It will not play on a regular TV.  Plays fine on the PJ and computer.  Not a great big deal but I thought it was very interesting.  Not sure if it can even be modified.  I know when I use Sony's Vegas to create my titles I have a choice of my resolution and screen size.  Not sure of Blender does this but it may be worth a look into and then 480i X60hz should be selected as this is more or less the standard hhere in the US.  Like I said, it is OK and not worth the trouble to redo.

Dano

Biotron2000
Offline Posts: 139

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:19:00 am »

I had the same problem with the flickering. Blender 2.37a is the version that does not cause this. Here's the link:
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-237a/
I'm not sure if motion blur will fix the flicker, but it will greatly increase rendering times.

Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Berkeley Street Cinema
Wii Console #7840-0866-0014-1508
patrick@jacpat.com
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 11:04:36 am »

Going to 3.73 fixed the flicker for me. Thanks for the pointer!

I'm working on rendering a freebie for the group: "Welcome to our Backyard Theater". I'll let you know when it's doine (should be later today - my dual-core machine rips through these pretty fast).

Randy, is there room on the site to store these here, so I don't have to send a bunch of e-mails with 500 MB files?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:06:07 am by CherryHills » Logged

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 02:21:04 pm »

OK, I have the clip finished and have added music to it. But I have a couple of questions for you all before I upload it.

1. I used the opening fanfare from Suppe's "Light Cavalry". It works beautifully, both stylistically and with the timing of the clip. Personally, I like the fact that the visual and musical styles are similar to the 20th Century Fox opening, but not identical. You get the feeling and subconsciously register the familiarity of the style, but it's not a straight copy.

On the other hand, I do have the 20th Century fanfare and if people would prefer that one, I can use it instead. What's your feel on this?

2. What's the best format for everyone? I can export it as a Windows Media or MPEG or Quicktime movie, or I can burn a DVD and post the VOB or ISO file. What's your preference?

Update: I just realized that I can't save as Quicktime until I buy "Quicktime Pro". But the MPEG should work just fine for Mac users, right?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:33:08 pm by Cherry Hills » Logged

Mao

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 03:35:30 pm »

I'd prefer the Fox fanfare....also, if VOB/ISO works, that would be perfect!

You're awesome!

cafemom
Offline Posts: 372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 09:08:58 pm »

I'd be happy with either music choices!
I also want to learn how to do the animation!
Thanks!!!!
Cafemom

Grab a blanket, a chair & a friend and join us outside!

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 11:02:43 pm »

OK, I have uploaded five intros to the site.

You can find them HERE.

Four of them are WMV files: two each that say "Welcome to Our Backyard Theater" and two that say "Welcome to Our Outdoor Theater". Each set has two music choices: the 20th Century Fox fanfare or the opening fanfare from Suppe's "Light Cavalry" (with some added percussion).

And there is a VOB file of the "Backyard" clip with the Fox fanfare for Mao. If that's your favorite version and you have the bandwidth to download 17MB, the quality should be higher on that one than the WMV.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:20:33 am by Cherry Hills » Logged

airwolf
Offline Posts: 39

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:51:58 am »

Cherry,

I think you need to check your link.  It's not going anywhere.

I can't wait to take a look at them!!!!!  Thank you so much for taking the time to work on these and for sharing them with the rest of us!

Airwolf
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2404

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 06:58:15 am »

Here's a link:

http://backyardtheater.com/intros/

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: