Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
138 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2017, 08:53:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:17:34 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 11:14:32 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 01:23:12 pm]

[June 21, 2017, 01:16:29 pm]

[June 15, 2017, 06:23:58 am]

[June 09, 2017, 02:17:19 am]

by SR
[June 08, 2017, 01:06:27 am]

by SR
[June 05, 2017, 11:53:02 pm]

[June 05, 2017, 09:05:26 pm]

[June 04, 2017, 02:44:24 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new to the forum.. need ideas for a outdoor screen  (Read 5870 times)
don
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:14:12 pm »

Hi, i have been projecting outdoors now for about 5 seasons here in ohio, i started out in 16 milli. and switched to digital a couple year ago. anyway, ive been projecting onto a plywood screen 8ft. in height by 12ft length screen painted flat white. my projector is DLP which really shows a great pic. however, i am wanting to go to a bigger screen size now and 12ftheight by 20ft length is what i have planned. would canvas work ok? and what type of frame system should i use? i already have the pipes in the ground for mounting the screen. would a non shiny white vinyl work also?. i would stay with plywood but the weight factor comes into play when trying to build and hang it..lol ...any one with plans or ideas  would love to hear from ya.  there is a tarp and awning place not far from where i live but  they are expensive for them to build me one. ps, i only project from the front and mostly use 4:3 aspect ratio.. sometime when i get adigital camera, i will post pics of my outdoor cinema and cool looking concession stand. Also, would screws and fender washers work for securing tarp to frame or bungees. i want it to have very minimal wrinkles. thanks
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:28:27 pm »

Hi Don, welcome to the forums!

Have you seen this thread?:
http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,17.0.html

I use a material called Trapeze, stretched across an aluminum frame.  Most of the details are in there but feel free to ask questions.  I can't hardly express how happy I am with this setup.  I used a plywood screen for years but I like this MUCH better.

They also offer a heavier Trapeze now and I might consider using that on your larger screen.  But once you stretch it, it's tight for months on end -- flat as glass.

Take a look at that thread and let me know what you think.  Thanks for joining in!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

DvdDrivein
Offline Posts: 12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 06:58:34 am »

Don, Go with the matte white vinyl. It shows a very pretty picture, will not fade and is ok in the bad weather. Order it with reinforced edges/grommets every foot. Use a 5" bleed all around to fold around the frame. I talk my screen face down after my halloween show for the season.
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 09:26:29 am »

Hi Don!

Once again, I use black out cloth, available at most fabric stores. It would take a little sewing to get to your dimensions, but I RARLEY notice the seams.  It doesn't take anything special to sew it excpet enough room to feed all that cloth through, so the dinning room table came in real handy! An alternative to cut down on the sewing is use velcro for attaching to the frame, but you would still want to sew the strips together.

The picture is GREAT for outdoor use and stores nicely. When I unfold it after being stored for a month, it looks terrible until it gets stretched out and then look great.

You can check out my thread:
http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php/topic,90.0.html

BO cloth comes 54" wide, so you would need 3 strips, to get to 12' and and you would need 7 yards per strip, for a total of 21 yds. At about $6 a yard you're looking at $130. You can often find 40% off coupons. I don't know how much the canvas or vinyl you're looking at costs, but this should give you something to think about.

I'm happy to answer questions.
Good luck,
Tom

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: